Dogs and screens

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa
I am on an extended trip with our new rescue and so far he has pushed the screen out of the side window and torn the lower panel on the door. Anyone got any clever ideas to stop or protect against this kind of carnage?

I have managed to patch things with gorilla tape since I need the ventilation here in the Big Bend back country.

Thanks.

I've got some pet screen at home left over from doing the screen porch and I'm working on training but it will be 3 or more weeks until I am back. Hopefully I won't run out of either patience or Gorilla Tape. [emoji6]

I've done this (from my camper build thread)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rear Screen Perforated Aluminum Protector
Small dog protection for fragile window screen, no noticeable difference in air flow.
Purchased on Amazon, large sheet, shipped in large flat cardboard, arrived in great shape.
Many different hole sizes, so look at all of them and make your choice.
My perforated holes are not large enough to catch and hold small dog toenails (I think I got 1/8" hole size), yet no noticeable difference in air flow, and I can still see out the back door when driving.

img_170863_0_dba0dcc5526ddf8b6e68e11c9b82b339.jpg

High enough to protect the plastic screen material even if the dogs jump up.
Held in place by inserting in screen groove and with adhesive sealant.

img_170863_2_b3f8628084b3786fa4cf45ce6a1c26a6.jpg

You'll have to figure out how to do the windows.

Charlie, I feel for you. Reminds me of the time we took a coon dog puppy. The dog was an M-1 tank and A10 tank killer all in one. He mangled his crate and almost hung himself, he got out in the garage and tried to get through the steel garage door, eating the insulation. The last straw he came flying up the stairs onto the bed and when Susan tried to grab him he went straight up under her chin causing her to nearly bite off her tounge, required 6 stitches to her tounge. She told me stitches in her tounge were 10 times worse than child birth. The owner took the dog back. Lesson learned, coon dogs want the racoon, not being a loyal family pet. jd

Good God Man ...he's part of the family!... (I can think of others in the family... oh never mind)....,. never me pal the dog... he'll settle in with a few biscuits and patience .. I'd freak out too ...whole new experience.

He's not freaking out, just doesn't let things like screens get in his way. In both cases he was just laying there and poked through with a paw. He did get bored when we were driving and chewed up a leash and poop bag holder - hard to keep an eye on him and the road at the same time. [emoji6]

I love pups... pure exuberance... my dog used to scratch at the tent screen door to go out early... lots of sewing was done until she grew out of it. Can't wait to get a new dog this fall... have to wait until after the long AK trip. I like Alley-kat's aluminum screen...robust. I have crawled out of the camper backwards a few times while tightening the turn buckles and have kicked the screen door... this would solve that issue of Mr. Clumsy.

Yep, I've been thinking about a kick panel too and that looks like a good solution. He chewed up the buckles on my camera backpack this morning, he gets bored on long drives. I guess I'll have to move everything but him to the front seat. ;)

Teach him what is NOT OK to chew by putting a few drops of Tabasco or other nasty sauce on things that he might like to chew. Tabasco washes off and out after the training is done.

Some safe and approved by you... chew toys... are also recommended.
He just needs something that is his to chew.

nah... nylabone... if he is a chewer...he needs a nylabone... they last weeks or months ... hard a s a buckle..and it has some kinda scent
A good serious chew bone.

Back
Top Bottom