Dometic 3 way a DC power hog!

steve whiteside said:
Your first fridge could run off of propane too? Was it a big power draw with propane as well as 12v?
Yes first fridge was the standard 3 way that FWC sells the campers with (one of the frig options).
On propane its very low draw but in my opinion it's an additional hassle to get that turned on at the campsite, then off when moving again, then back on when stopped at a camp site again.

The topload Dometics just stay on, the whole time, moving or stationary. Really simple and easy.

patrkbukly said:
Yes first fridge was the standard 3 way that FWC sells the campers with (one of the frig options).
On propane its very low draw but in my opinion it's an additional hassle to get that turned on at the campsite, then off when moving again, then back on when stopped at a camp site again.

The topload Dometics just stay on, the whole time, moving or stationary. Really simple and easy.
What was involved in the 3-way removal? Did you do it yourself or have an RV shop do the removal?

The issue I'm experiencing is the fridge not cooling down enough on propane when the temps are above 90. I've taken steps to mitigate the heat and run the refer fan, but it takes a while to get cold and on hot days (90 and above), it really doesn't get below 50, which I've learned is typical for gas absorption fridges. Amazing thing, burning propane and getting cooling as a result, but I'm liking the compressor option more.

Yes it was easy. Takes about 30 minutes getting screws out, then bought a brass plug for the propane line at Lowes.

Then I sealed the inside to outside vents with a sheet of plywood and painted that. Built a simple base (bottom) for the topload to be mounted to which also now is an additional storage bin.

All the wiring is there to now hardwire your topload so that wether shore power or 12 volt it has power and you are done.

Then you can kind of customize that area as I did with some food storage rack and shelving so the area is utilized well.

Really when you have a frig that just stays running, stays cold, uses little to no power you are now really in a real off grid vehicle.

I'm very glad I did it.

You will have this once removed which is a LOT of area to redo and make useful.

I also have a suspicion that air was coming in through the old frig venting making the camper less effecient when managing temperatures.

I will also add, doing this gave me an opportunity to see the build quality of FWC and man it is built so well. Great materials, great precision.
ACtC-3dk1DLKjniR0CperWea3UOWWKva7jW1uAd8K5Kt_4K8pt6b4J_7IU9jPbuhsO5c8UBNwyVYiE9p-OHHmdOH3x4-OFb_ceHtYKbukCWF_FsdKlSL641AUeoL4Y3-HzDELibFsrTuBIVXDhxhMB4Rx3kR=w570-h759-no

I plug into shore power the day before we leave on a trip to get the fridge down to temp and get it loaded, from that point on it runs on propane. Period. In all my years of trailer and camper travels, including 4 years of extended trips and a ton of rough roads and off-roading with the FWC I've never once had an issue with keeping the fridge running on propane while driving. I keep it at #2 while driving, it seems extremely efficient and just sips propane, and the food and beer is always cold. Never had any negative issues or anything in all these years doing it this way. I shut my tanks off when going on a ferry, but honestly aside from that, I keep it running. My fridge is on the opposite side of my fuel tank, and I always park on the outside line at a gas station ....... have not exploded once yet.

patrkbukly said:
I also have a Granby (2016) and also have 2 batteries and also HAD the frig they come with.
I could only use it as an ice chest holder otherwise useless from an off grid power standpoint.

Save yourself time and frustration and go buy the Dometic CFX28 top load. Pulls I think .76amps per hour.
I have one panel and never make less than my setup uses now which is a game changer. Now I am truly off grid and stay out until I run out of water. Propane and eletric will go far further.

Discussion with Stan at FWC while in Flagstaff last year helped me make my decision. He is great. Really knows his stuff and is very practical and simple when it comes to solutions.
ACtC-3c-EQzWM7hDwUveCdiHPQAwCcLvyC7i3PQB5Q9JnXFEYv7mIRfCyfY5v2vMEnMh9wrdladdvC5MZH7beQa_Ez3YfBqLhEDlRGVHCVI8bmJyvbjwEs6RhhXgBH3Foz2S_0V7WDF4kSNWYFaYAUO_4V-S=w1012-h759-no
Is this on a pullout to access the top?

No thats the fwc factory lid that was over the old frig. It is on hinges and swings up out of the way leaning against the soft top of the camper exposing a mirror. I have since removed that because it was really just an unused surface and one more thing to have to open when accessing the frig.

i will try and post some pics of the current and final setup later.

Back
Top Bottom