Done something really stupid?

It may be an inefficient use of space but I keep a small propane cylinder and a one-burner Coleman element in my camper for the moment I run out. I can survive without the heater (reluctantly) but I really can't function without the morning cup of coffee. Propane cylinder also serves if I want to run Coleman lantern.

N'kwala said:
It may be an inefficient use of space but I keep a small propane cylinder and a one-burner Coleman element in my camper for the moment I run out. I can survive without the heater (reluctantly) but I really can't function without the morning cup of coffee. Propane cylinder also serves if I want to run Coleman lantern.
The more I read this thread the more I like my 2 10# tanks instead of a single 20# one.

Decided to take the dog and the Kayak down to the river. Feels more like April here. Its less than ten miles so instead of using the rack I just tossed the kayak in the camper and bungied the door closed. Had a nice little time on the river, the dog swam behind the kayak for quite a ways.

Its time to go. I toss the kayak in the back. I hear the sound of glass shattering. Yep, shoved it right through the front window. Spent my afternoon cleaning up broken glass. I'm sure I'll find bits of broken glass for months yet. Lucky for me the weather is so nice there's no real hurry to get it fixed. I'll call Marty tomorrow. Wondering if a piece of plexiglas wouldn't be adequate.

Instead of glass or plexiglas, try to get Lexan (polycarbonate) It is used for safety glasses bullet proof windows, and other items. Tried to break out a window made of the stuff with a claw hammer and almost ate the hammer as it came back at me as hard as I had swung it. Tap Plastics carries it as do many others.

Paul

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Yup! Although I may start brining a bigger tank for the Little Red Campfire in a Can.
I like those Campfires in a can too. They are awesome.

PaulT said:
Instead of glass or plexiglas, try to get Lexan (polycarbonate) It is used for safety glasses bullet proof windows, and other items. Tried to break out a window made of the stuff with a claw hammer and almost ate the hammer as it came back at me as hard as I had swung it. Tap Plastics carries it as do many others.

Paul
I have been seriously thinking of replacing my dinette window with that stuff. Pretty amazed I have not broken it yet or had somebody else break it.

Here's a funny youtube video that includes polycarbonate windows and dumb robbers for good measure:

I have been doing all the maintenance (150,000K service) on my 2005 Tundra the past week or so.

Changing all of the fluids (rear diff., front, diff, transfer case, transmission flush, radiator flush, etc.)

Checking brakes, replacing shocks, timing belt, water, pump. etc. etc.

I went ahead and replaced both front axles while I was at it. The CV joints were worn out and it was long over due.

Old passenger side front axle came out easy and the new one went in easy.

Old driver's side axle was a little harder to get out, and harder to get back in (had to do a little pounding), but got it in and it looked good.

Went for a test drive and all seemed great for about 30 miles.

Starting to get some squeaking and slight vibration on the front driver's side.

Did I maybe damage the CV joint pounding it back in ?

The next day the problem worsened and it sounded like the front axle was out and wobbling around ! EEEEKKKK !

Went to the shop and bought another 1/2 axle ready to swap in a new one to try and fix it.

Jacked the truck up again to take the front tire off, and ALL 6 lug nuts were about 1/2 loose.

DUH !

I must have only finger tightened the lug nuts and never torqued them down when I originally finished.

I tightened the lug nuts and went for another test drive. Problem solved. No axle replacement needed.

Remember to check your nuts when you are finished putting any of your rims & tires back on.

:)

I pulled a stunner over the weekend.

I was working at my laptop with the TV on in the background when I received a phone call from a local store, telling me the part I ordered was in and I could pick it up Monday morning.

"I didn't know you were open on Sundays", I said.

"We aren't", replied the pleasant young lady. "But you can pick it up Monday".

"That's not what I meant", sez me. "I meant I didn't know you worked Sundays making calls to customers to tell them their parts are in".

"But, Sir, today is Saturday!", she said.

Now you would think that would give me a hint, wouldn't you? But noooooooo.

Thinking I'd break it to her gently, I said "Are you sure? I'm sitting here working on my laptop with the TV on in the background and 'Sunday Morning' is on". And I remember thinking, "Silly girl. She came in to work on the wrong day! I wonder how THAT happened?"

But she has apparently dealt with things like this before.

"I hope you're enjoying it, Sir! Now you have yourself a great day and we'll see you Monday!"

It wasn't till I went back to my seat and saw the words "CBS Saturday Morning News" on the TV that it sunk in. It WAS Saturday.

Turns out those tricky guys at CBS use the same reporters in their news segments on both Saturdays and Sundays and I normally only see them on Sundays.

-OC

They say confession is good for the soul, so here is my confession from last week...

I finally got around to ordering a locking gas cap for my truck from Amazon - quite a bit cheaper than the local auto parts store.

The cap shows up and when I open the box, I find that there are no keys included - how could they be so dumb! I was about to demonstrate that I was even dumber-er.

As those of you who order from Amazon know, they have a great return and exchange policy. So i figure no problem, I'll just return this one and get another one.

However, I looked at the new cap and it appeared to be a bit bigger than the stock one, so I decided I should make sure its the right size before I return it. If its wrong, I'll be sure to order the right size.

You can see where this is going now, can't you?

I go out to the truck and promptly install the new locking cap. Guess what? It fits. Guess what else? Its locked!

I can assure you that these locking gas caps are quite difficult to remove without the keys.

It's a bummer being retired,you don't even get payed holidays anymore.
I guess I'll work through it though.
After all somebody has to do it.And the government actially pays me to do it.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
It's a bummer being retired,you don't even get payed holidays anymore.
I guess I'll work through it though.
After all somebody has to do it.And the government actially pays me to do it.
Frank
I yield to the infinite wisdom of my brother Frank.

It's funny Jay. When we are out and about and people come up to talk,the conversation gets around to what do you do for work.
I just tell them I work for the government and my job is to travel around and camp to make sure all is going well.And they even pay me to do it.

Camp more.
Frank

PJorgen said:
They say confession is good for the soul, so here is my confession from last week...

I finally got around to ordering a locking gas cap for my truck from Amazon - quite a bit cheaper than the local auto parts store.

The cap shows up and when I open the box, I find that there are no keys included - how could they be so dumb! I was about to demonstrate that I was even dumber-er.

As those of you who order from Amazon know, they have a great return and exchange policy. So i figure no problem, I'll just return this one and get another one.

However, I looked at the new cap and it appeared to be a bit bigger than the stock one, so I decided I should make sure its the right size before I return it. If its wrong, I'll be sure to order the right size.

You can see where this is going now, can't you?

I go out to the truck and promptly install the new locking cap. Guess what? It fits. Guess what else? Its locked!

I can assure you that these locking gas caps are quite difficult to remove without the keys.
This is a really good one! :)

Back
Top Bottom