Driving Class C in Yellowstone from Canyon Village to Tower-Roosevelt OR Chief Joseph Highway from Cody to Tower Junction

sandylcole

I am trying to find current information on driving the Yellowstone National Park loop road from Canyon Village to Tower-Roosevelt, through Dunraven Pass or taking the Chief Joseph Highway, 296, from Cody to Tower-Roosevelt, in a 31 ft. Class C, no toad. I cannot seem to find any recent information and a lot of what I read said not to take an RV on that section of the loop road. And my other option is the Chief Joseph Highway, but some earlier remarks seemed to indicate that could be dicey as well. I drove through the west last year for 3 1/2 months, including the lower loop pf Yellowstone but wanted to do the upper and just am trying to find someone who has driven both of these roads to get an idea which would be easier, safer, more interesting. I've driven plenty of narrow roads and some grades and have done okay but don't need to invite disaster!! Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. Having been to Yellowstone many times we have traveled all the loop roads. I have a Tundra with a ATC Bobcat camper.

I would think the YNP website has info about roads and length of camper.
The Chief Joe Hwy is a nice road it's not narrow but does have some downgrades.
Dunraven Pass road just has the "s" loop at the top going north.It's not bad but the road gets narrow without and guard rails.

I haven't been over it since they did roadwork.You can drive the upper loop without going over Dunraven,just take the road from Canyon to Mammoth by way of Norris which is a beautiful. drive with a stay at Norris CG or Indian Creek CG.

Again check the web site or even give a call.I'am not aware about any restrictions except one way roads,Firehole Falls and the ones off the road from Canyon to Norris.

Enjoy one of the most beautiful parks in the world. Lamar Valley is a great drive and if you can get a spot at Pebble Creek CG or Slough Creek CG it's defiantly worth the drive.
Frank

Thanks for the response! I couldn't find any info on the Yellowstone site, about length of vehicle. All of the reports that I saw about the road from Canyon Village to Tower-Roosevelt being difficult for Rvs were from individuals and most were at least a couple of years old. I drove from west Yellowstone to Madison, to Norris, Canyon Village and down to Fishing Bridge and out to Cody last year with no problems. And I drove the Trail Ridge Rd. in Rocky Mountain NP, places with no guard rails as well. I don't like the drop offs at the roadsides but I manage! Thanks for the information. I will try to make a decision.

Last time as we where there (just before Covid hit), we drove the upper circle in an 28 ft. C-Class-RV, all the way from Mammoth Hot Springs, Tower Jkt., Dunraven Pass, all the view points on North Rim Drive, and back via Norris Bassin.
Yes, the road sometimes is narrow, but it was not a problem for us, because we allways drive verry slowly.

Thanks for your reply! Did you ever have any problem with oncoming traffic on narrow curves, as long as you were going slowly, as do I! That's the only time I ever had any close calls on narrow roads.

No, we had no problems. In my opinion the roads are wide enough for 2 cars/RV's coming against each other. We in Europe are used to much narrower roads. 😀

No, we had no problems. In my opinion the roads are wide enough for 2 cars/RV's coming against each other. We in Europe are used to much narrower roads. 😀
Thanks for your reply. Your info sounds about what I would think.
We have been to YNP many.many times and never saw any issues with RVs.
Slow and careful is my advice.

I checked out the YNP info site yesterday and couldn't find anything about RV restrictions.
Have a great time.
Frank

Thanks for the information! I think I'm going to try the Chief Joseph Hwy from Cody to the NE entrance. I was told that is a beautiful drive. I will take it slow and steady!!

Thanks for the information! I think I'm going to try the Chief Joseph Hwy from Cody to the NE entrance. I was told that is a beautiful drive. I will take it slow and steady!!
As you travel the Chief Joe route be sure to stop and take a break when you get to the Clark Fork of the Yellowstone.There is a nice walk along the gorge.

The route is a very beautiful one with some great views.
Have a fun time.
Frank

As you travel the Chief Joe route be sure to stop and take a break when you get to the Clark Fork of the Yellowstone.There is a nice walk along the gorge.

The route is a very beautiful one with some great views.
Have a fun time.
Frank
We were just in that area north of Cody. We drove the paved road to Clark’s Fork Canyon as I have seen videos of the Morrison Jeep Trail and thought it was a beautiful area (it was). Morrison Jeep trail is currently closed due to,rock slide and, no, we would never attempt it. It is suitable for modified short wheel based vehicles or ORVs.
The paved road we were on ended abruptly and my question on why was answered by a local rancher who said it was supposed to connect with the Chief Joseph Highway but 120 mph winds tore up the asphalt as it was being laid. It would have been a beautiful scenic route.

Attachments

• IMG_7353.jpeg
    IMG_7353.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 9
We were just in that area north of Cody. We drove the paved road to Clark’s Fork Canyon as I have seen videos of the Morrison Jeep Trail and thought it was a beautiful area (it was). Morrison Jeep trail is currently closed due to,rock slide and, no, we would never attempt it. It is suitable for modified short wheel based vehicles or ORVs.
The paved road we were on ended abruptly and my question on why was answered by a local rancher who said it was supposed to connect with the Chief Joseph Highway but 120 mph winds tore up the asphalt as it was being laid. It would have been a beautiful scenic route.
Am I understanding correctly, that you weren't able to drive the Chief Joseph Hwy to the Bear Tooth Hwy and to the NE entrance of Yellowstone? I will be bummed if that's the case!

I just checked the Wyoming road map and it didn't show and problems.
I think clikrf8 was referring to a gravel road that maybe follows the river?
Both roads seem to be OK Wy 296 and US 212 Bear Tooth Pass rd.
Frank

Am I understanding correctly, that you weren't able to drive the Chief Joseph Hwy to the Bear Tooth Hwy and to the NE entrance of Yellowstone? I will be bummed if that's the case!
The road I was referring to is called Canyon Road or Old Highway 262. It was planned to join up with Chief Joseph Highway but 120 mph winds made construction difficult. There is a gravel road that becomes challenging on its way to the Morrison Jeep Trail that does join up with Beartooth but is is closed due to a rockslide and is very difficult with many drop off the cliff switchbacks.
Chief Jospeh Road is between Cody and Clark’s Fork Canyon and is very much open.

Attachments

• IMG_0182.png
    IMG_0182.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom