Electrical confusion...

I will have roof racks on my Eagle with 3 cross bars. I was thinking to cut 2) 1/4" marine plywood panels and coat them with epoxy resin. Then paint them white. Idealy one would span 2 bars on the rack. This would take any stress of the panel and leave them semi portable. I want to attach the panels to these by the corner grommets in the panels. Same for the plywood a hole in each corner. When nothing is on the rack the panels will be flat and off the roof to cool. If I have my canoe on the rack I could attach the panels at one end to the rack and lean the other end on the boat. This would make kind of a triangle with one on each side connected by a bungee or web strap between the corner holes. Just lash the wiring to the rack with Tie wraps. No shading from the boat or rack. This also gives the option of leaning them to face the sun in certain parking situation. Nothing permanant on the roof. has anyone tried anything like this?

I need to replace my two panels in the next two weeks and am considering velcro. Given issues with the Renogy panels, I don't want to yet again be faced with the chore of removing panels that are glued down. Since the 3M adhesive obviously works on the panels, would it work to run a bead of the 3M on the adhesive side of the velcro as a margin of safety rather than relying solely on the velcro adhesive. Then once mounted, a small bead of adhesive around all for edges to seal everything and add a little additional holding power.

Sledawg said:
DonC: called Renogy and talked to tech who wanted to know symptoms. He transferred me to customer service who told me they would email me a FEDEX shipping label. I received an email indicating they were shipping new panel. Confused I called back and was told that I would get an email with a shipping label and that they wouldn't ship until old panel was received. I suspect that this is "left hand not talking to right hand within the company." Will let you know how this transpires.
Return process Renogy:
- Call tech department and describe problem.
- tech transfers you to sales.
- sales sends you fedex shipping label via email. Note, you have to package old panel. $14 for fedex to do it.
- return department receives old panel and sends new one. Renogy replaced mine with the short leads..
Good customer service. Not so good that I had to return panel ordered last December.

I would recommend using 3M VHB tape to secure the edges only. I'm using this tape on the bottom of my AM Solar rocker mounts on four corners of my 150w, 30# solar panel. It's been there for a couple years and no issues of blowing off yet. Just make sure you clean the surface with alcohol prior to attaching. It can be removed using 90% alcohol and a old plastic credit card. The edges are sealed with DiCor. It stays soft and can be scraped off with the credit card. I have done it before replacing my old 100w panel and no marks were left on the roof.

full

full

ok, I obviously used way to much adhesive, but I got the first panel off in about 1 hr with these

IMG_0167.JPG

second came off in about 30 minutes with these :)

IMG_0169.JPG

I assume I have about an hour or so of clean up before mounting the new panels
adhesive, velcro, or 3M tape - I may just draw straws...

Squatch said:
I will have roof racks on my Eagle with 3 cross bars. I was thinking to cut 2) 1/4" marine plywood panels and coat them with epoxy resin. Then paint them white. Idealy one would span 2 bars on the rack. This would take any stress of the panel and leave them semi portable. I want to attach the panels to these by the corner grommets in the panels. Same for the plywood a hole in each corner. When nothing is on the rack the panels will be flat and off the roof to cool. If I have my canoe on the rack I could attach the panels at one end to the rack and lean the other end on the boat. This would make kind of a triangle with one on each side connected by a bungee or web strap between the corner holes. Just lash the wiring to the rack with Tie wraps. No shading from the boat or rack. This also gives the option of leaning them to face the sun in certain parking situation. Nothing permanant on the roof. has anyone tried anything like this?
Why dont you use the yakima tracks and mount to them? Its probably 5-7" lower than the cross bars so it will have a lower profile, and less impact on mpg.

Its page 5 in this thread. http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/10391-running-heavier-wire-for-solar-panels/page-5

That is a clean installation. Thanks for the sugestion. But I don't have Yakma tracks. Don't think I'll use them. All the hoopla 4WC makes about their one piece roof and then drills a few dozen sheet metal screws through it! kinda makes me cringe a little. I already have artificial rain gutters (not mounted yet) and lots of that style of hardware. So I'm probably going that route. Minimal holes in roof.

Has anyone found a roof socket for MC4 connectors? How about low profile or right angle MC4's? I figure if the panels come that way why not stay with them for the whole instalation instead of switching to a flat 2 SAE connector that sticks up as well.

After sending my Renogy panels back for warranty replacement I got a call from them warning me that they will not honor another warranty if the MC4 connectors are cut off as mine were. I am leaving the replacement connectors on.

Alan

When I bought my Renogy flexible panel, I ordered an extension cable that had a female mc-4 on one end & a male mc-4 pn the other end to connect to the solar panel. The length was twice what I needed so I cut it in half & attached to an SAE 2 pin flat connector that plugged into the Zamp connector on the rear of the camper. I already had an SAE 2 pin flat connector jumper that I used like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/CES-Gauge-Quick-Disconnect-Harness/dp/B0057ZQJ12/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=190VM6D42BZD3WMEWCVJ

Paul

The Zamp 3 port roof cap to which you linked connects the panels in parallel, judging from the three red wires going into one wire & the three black wires going into the other.

Paul

Add one more to the failed Renogy flexible panel group. I sent mine back yesterday and will hopefully get the replacement soon. I am happy with the customer support but disappointed with the product. I'm glad it wasn't attached to the roof.

camelracer - bad news! how old was yours? does it have long or short leads? Mine were a Dec 2014 purchase with long leads.
I wonder how many generations of panels there are. I know there are at least two - there was a change from my Dec purchase to the two I just received.

What's the difference visually between the old and new panels? When you say long or short leads, what lengths are they?

Back
Top Bottom