Emergency Communications? Ham Radio?

Grats. One of these days I gotta get off off my ass and do it

Craig,
I'm also in Sacramento, if you need any help or encouragement getting that license, I'll be happy to help. I can refer you to several of the local radio clubs which offer training, and American River College is just now starting a two weekend Technician license class. Contact them for upcoming dates.

i am going over to take mine this weekend...man oh man those tests have been simplified since the 60's!

35 questions...multiple choice....geez.

i am going over to take mine this weekend...man oh man those tests have been simplified since the 60's!

35 questions...multiple choice....geez.

Jefff..Good Luck..

Yeah..a bit different than when I took the General in 62 with the 13WPM code test. Then came the Advanced and Extra...serious written exams and 20WPM code.

yup it is pretty easy. i passed it Sat and now will wait for it to show up in ULS. when i get back next week i will head over and take the next available general test.

yup it is pretty easy. i passed it Sat and now will wait for it to show up in ULS. when i get back next week i will head over and take the next available general test.

Jeff, Congrats on passing the Tech. Test...Good luck on the general.

Bob

all done, passed the general last sat in yuba city and the extra exam sat.
bought a ft-2800 to get by until i get a new job.
then ? we shall see....

all done, passed the general last sat in yuba city and the extra exam sat.
bought a ft-2800 to get by until i get a new job.
then ? we shall see....

Way to go!

Further thoughts....

Now that I've had the radio for awhile...

The Icom IC-V8 Sport hand held is wonderful, but tops out at 5 watts Tx. Not enough.

So, it's time for a new radio. I started reading radio reviews at eham.net.

I was initially thinking Yaesu, but the 8800 and 8900 were priced high for features I don't need (e.g. removable faceplate, 70cm band) . The reliability of lower end Yaesu 2m radios looks a bit hit or miss for reviewers.

Enter the Icom IC-V8000: acceptable price, mostly good reviews, high power (75 watts :eek:), and a semi-familiar interface (like the V8, but times 1000?). Plus I like the "front firing speaker", at least I hope I do.

I ordered the Icom for my truck. Maybe I'll set it up so I can use it in my camper and car, too. I hope I don't regret not getting a cross-banding radio.

My questions: where are your antennas on your truck, or where should I put mine? And which antenna? Which manufacturer? Which mount?

i use the 25w setting on the ft-2800m to the exclusion of all else.
more power does not seem to solve connectivity issues.

i got a cheap 5/8w mag mount to put on my cab.

is your camper overhang fully covering your cab?

i use the 25w setting on the ft-2800m to the exclusion of all else.
more power does not seem to solve connectivity issues.

i got a cheap 5/8w mag mount to put on my cab.

is your camper overhang fully covering your cab?

Best pic I have on short notice.

attachment.php

I'll put an antenna on the black car, too. I've got mixed feelings about through the roof on the truck. I'm not ready for that, yet... (I'm less attached to the car!) I think a mag mount won't work on the truck. I expect trees and other overhangs will sweep it off. I'm thinking something spring mounted.

75 watts is more than I need, but better to have and not need than not have when needed. I think my 5 watt mobile with an external antenna adequate for most places I'll camp, but this remains to be seen.

I'll probably buy an MFJ mag mount while I search for a better solution.

Hi Scott,

Here's kind of a crummy pic of my VHF antenna mounted on the front fender of the truck. The antenna is made by Diamond and it's a 2mtr/UHF antenna. I'm at work now, but when I get home I'll get you the info on the fender mount.

73, de K6ON

Attachments

• vhf ant.jpg
    vhf ant.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 326
a magnet mount will not get swept away.

drilling a hole in the roof is not an issue either...and no resale impact.

i have done both. they both work.

I have a magnetic mount cb antenna on my truck. Has never fallen off.

Attachments

• DSCN0086.jpg
    DSCN0086.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 263
For the short term, I decided on a Larsen NMO-150-B (NMO) sprung on a magnet mount. I'll get an adapter for my HT. 5 watts on that antenna should work around town.

Scott

I've found that a solid mount vastly inproves antenna performance over a magmount. Poke a hole in the roof or get a solid fender mount (use star washers for a good ground) and you'll be amazed. I see 3-4 bars improvement minmum over a mag mount.

I also use the Larsen 150. Does bend a bit at speed. Nice for the roof if you hit something low hanging. Mine's on the fender and I'd go with something stiffer like a maxrad if had to replace it.

S

KD5LOL

Back
Top Bottom