Emergency Communications? Ham Radio?

you need to start hunting on the internet for repeaters in your area...simplex wont be that much use as you will find that its really hard to escape repeater coverage.

its expected that one always scans the simplex calling freq just in case. if everyone did this is would help to ensure safety...i dont know that too many peopel do that unless travelling.

next time you plan a trip you will be thinking of the repeaters along your path.

it is best to familiarize yourself with how to scan for repeater activity, no matter where you are...without the use of a directory.
then get comfortable with the ability to scan a known repeater input to find the appropriate pl tone as well.

once you can do this you have the tools needed to get linked up.

you need to start hunting on the internet for repeaters in your area...simplex wont be that much use as you will find that its really hard to escape repeater coverage.

its expected that one always scans the simplex calling freq just in case. if everyone did this is would help to ensure safety...i dont know that too many peopel do that unless travelling.

next time you plan a trip you will be thinking of the repeaters along your path.

it is best to familiarize yourself with how to scan for repeater activity, no matter where you are...without the use of a directory.
then get comfortable with the ability to scan a known repeater input to find the appropriate pl tone as well.

Yep, y'know, I did that today- I scanned for traffic, found a repeater, scanned for the PL tone, (checked to make sure I was right on the internet) and programmed that repeater into memory.

For something that is so fundamental to amateur radio, there were were a lot of steps involved... not very user friendly.

@ Scott Bailey & Dave in Seattle-- Another reason not to 'permanently' attach the transceiver is that this is Houston, where people rip things off & hock 'em or take 'em to Mexico. I've already had my truck door jimmied once. (They made off with Edna's bag of grocery coupons. Cost me $100 for a lock cylinder, plus labor to fix the door.) I don't want to tempt my brother crack-heads beyond their ability to resist with a public display of my 2m radio and antenna...

One of the things that has slowed me down (other than general laziness) is the lack of repeaters in areas i frequent. I was really surprised to see a town the size of Susanville has no repeaters. One in Quincy (still need to see if its on a ridge overlooking the valley) and nothing further north.

One of the things that has slowed me down (other than general laziness) is the lack of repeaters in areas i frequent. I was really surprised to see a town the size of Susanville has no repeaters. One in Quincy (still need to see if its on a ridge overlooking the valley) and nothing further north.

take a look a NAARC http://www.narcc.org/

then look over the listing by area. multiple repeaters in burney..and another in fall river mills...that ought to cover it.
that one in quincy is operated by OES....i bet that covers a lot of area.

finding the web site of the group that does the local coordination is important , good quality info is important.

Ingalls:

I hear you about the possibility of theft in the camper. Of course, antennas really advertise the fact you probably have some goodies in the camper. Keeping those hidden is probably more useful for most travel. I do worry about people more at home then when out in the woods.

I would not mind so much keeping a 2m rig attached as you could hide it pretty easy. A detachable face plate is nice for this. For the bigger HF radios, I have mine mounted on removable stands. Take them out when not using them, and put them in for the trips. Don't run HF much around town anyhow. Having a simple 2m rig in the truck at all times is just nice to have. I do strip the antenna off when parked in front of the house. Do wish I had covered parking. But, real estate is expensive in these parts.

Do what works for you, but do get on the air!

Dave
de n0xlw

take a look a NAARC http://www.narcc.org/

then look over the listing by area. multiple repeaters in burney..and another in fall river mills...that ought to cover it.
that one in quincy is operated by OES....i bet that covers a lot of area.

finding the web site of the group that does the local coordination is important , good quality info is important.

Unfortunately, if you look at the area around Antelope Lake, its really in a big valley surrounded by mountains on all sides, with no appreciable human settlements inside. Of course, if you can get on a peak its all moot, you can get a cell signal from every peak I've ever been on.

I'm surprised Fall River Mills has a repeater, thats a pretty small town.

Yep, y'know, I did that today- I scanned for traffic, found a repeater, scanned for the PL tone, (checked to make sure I was right on the internet) and programmed that repeater into memory.

For something that is so fundamental to amateur radio, there were were a lot of steps involved... not very user friendly.

I don’t know if you are aware of it or not, but for around nine bucks you can pick up a copy of ARRL’s state by state repeater listing guide. Comes in pretty handy for road trips.

[URL="

Unfortunately, if you look at the area around Antelope Lake, its really in a big valley surrounded by mountains on all sides, with no appreciable human settlements inside. Of course, if you can get on a peak its all moot, you can get a cell signal from every peak I've ever been on.

I'm surprised Fall River Mills has a repeater, thats a pretty small town.

you are working hard to maintain an excuse now arent you?

Who walked off with my ARRL study guide? I swear it was under this pile of stuff last time I looked.:unsure:

ramblin as i read post for this newbie for the first time.

w7tgl : )

Mostly 2 meter on the local net and patch into the i5 repeter network and have talked to peeps from Canada down to the southern border of Cali. Talked to my home-town-gang on the Oregon Coast from the top of the Mount Saint Helens Visitor Center on 350miliwatts just for _fun_.

Will look forward to setting up our future summer-of-2011 camper.

Thom

I'm scratching my head trying to figure the best place for an HF antenna on my permanently mounted FWC/Blazer.
Any ideas, photos appreciated...

73 de N6ZKS

I'm scratching my head trying to figure the best place for an HF antenna on my permanently mounted FWC/Blazer.
Any ideas, photos appreciated...

73 de N6ZKS

thats a common problem, fwc, or not. see deltaRAT for his screwdriver install on his dodge 4wd pu. and i do mean pu. ha ha.

not hi hi....thats too silly. only makes sense in cw.

put up a 2m 5/8 w whip and call it good. be done with it.

happy turkey day !

i will get stuffed.

Here ya go...Mount it on the front....

Attachments

• Sierra\'s.jpg
    Sierra\'s.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 199

Back
Top Bottom