F-150 with Keystone Finally Fixed

John D

After driving to the Pacific Northwest and return this summer while experiencing balky engine performance the entire way, it was determined that the F-150 had a rusty gas tank. A brand new 30.5 gallon tank replaced the old rusty one, along with a brand new fuel pump assembly with fuel gauge transducer.

This last weekend I drove the rig to Sterling Heights Michigan to attend a high school class reunion. I departed from Alabama at 7:20 pm in the evening Central Time Thursday night and slept at a rest top near Cincinnati. I arose at daylight and arrived in Sterling Heights about 2 pm Eastern Time, in time for a tour of my old high school. The reunion included a social gathering at Marianelli’s Friday evening, plus dinner and dancing Saturday night at the Red Run CC in Royal Oak. I spent the night at the Wal-Mart North of Utica. Saturday, I drove around the city revisiting my youthful stomping grounds, then went to the Country Club and parked for a nap and then dressed for the party in my motel room on wheels. After the party was over at 11:30 pm Saturday night, I headed south and slept about halfway through Ohio at a Flying J, stopping at 2:30 am. Rising and back on the road about 9 am Sunday morning, I was home in Alabama by 6 pm that same evening. It is about 700 miles from Sterling Heights to my home in Alabama, or about 1400 miles round trip, plus quite a bit of driving around north of Detroit. In my opinion, a GPS is a necessity when traveling by motor vehicle alone.

I have detailed the trip to give readers an understanding about how a lightweight truck camper can be used for travel. It compares well with air travel in terms of speed. There is no time wasted at airports or checking into and out of hotels. There is no rental car to deal with. The camper is not only a hotel room on wheels, it is a rolling suitcase with all the needed traveling and dress attire packed in the hanging closet and storage cabinets before departure. This rig can be parked in a standard parking place intended for an automobile.

In total there were three gas stops. One of the advantages of a 30.5 gallon tank is the near impossibility of running out of gas. With an easy range of 400 plus miles while maintaining a safe reserve, this rig has will run until most drivers seriously need a break. When the fuel warning light comes on, this truck has about 6 gallons of fuel remaining in its tank. This is a very comfortable reserve.

Now that the engine runs properly, due to fixing the cause of the constant rust clogged fuel filters, the little 4.2L V6 pulls the rig along quite smartly. There is no problem keeping up with traffic on the interstate. Up grades found in the mid-west and south require little down shifting out of overdrive. Top speed with the Keystone on the F-150 is probably well in excess of 90 mph, though I drove about 2 mph over the speed limit as determined by a TomTom GPS and using the truck's cruise control. The GPS over speed warning was kept turned on, which made it easy to avoid speeding tickets.

Conclusion is this 1999 F-150 standard cab long bed 2WD manual transmission 4.2L V6 is an ideal truck for a FWC/ATC. There is no need whatsoever for more power and no need for any modifications to its suspension, period. You can take that to the bank.

Fuel consumption was about 15 mpg while cruising about 70 miles per hour, better with pure gasoline and worse with gasohol.

If anyone wants pictures in this report they will have to be of beautiful women who attended the reunion, a little off subject for this forum.

John D

Conclusion is this 1999 F-150 standard cab long bed 2WD manual transmission 4.2L V6 is an ideal truck for a FWC/ATC. There is no need whatsoever for more power and no need for any modifications to its suspension, period. You can take that to the bank.

Fuel consumption was about 15 mpg while cruising about 70 miles per hour, better with pure gasoline and worse with gasohol.

If anyone wants pictures in this report they will have to be of beautiful women who attended the reunion, a little off subject for this forum.

John D

I'm waiting for those pictures and the associated contact information. As for the truck I would disagree that a 4.2L is ideal for such a camper. The camper weighs 1050 unloaded, the truck capacity is about 1600 so according to those figures you hit max with about 550#. I guess everyone has different performance expectations, I had a relatively lightweight Grandby on my 4.6L F150 and swapped it out for something more substantial because of the lack of power and performance. But perhaps after driving across coountry with clogged filters it now seems like a top fuel dragster :D

This last weekend I drove the rig to Sterling Heights Michigan to attend a high school class reunion.

I grew up ~100mi from there.

As for the truck I would disagree that a 4.2L is ideal for such a camper.

I have to agree with Barko1. I had the Hawk mounted on a 2000 Tundra with the v8....and felt the truck was inadequate for the load. Stopping the thing was a joke....going up hills was a joke.....on flat ground it was barely adequate.

Barko1 and Leadsled9,

In writing my posts about the F-150 with 2WD, standard cab, and 8 foot bed, I am providing information about what people need as a minimum to go camping in style. And, the FWC/ATC campers are really the class act for light weight camping.

Leadsled9, tell me if I am wrong, your experience with the Tundra is something I cannot comment about as I have no experience with that particular truck. On the other hand, I have a lot of experience with American designed pickup trucks, both half ton, S10, and larger. From the profile picture with your posts, you appear to be using a “six pac” truck, or one with four doors. I don’t know what the bed length is. Many newer truck like yours have short beds and require suspension modifications to carry campers. There is also a trailer hooked up the truck camper in the picture. That extended cab, short bed, and trailer make a world of difference. I would agree the 6.4 Power Stroke makes sense for that package and the suspension mods are necessary to handle the out of balance load.

Your profile also says you have a 2010 truck. How much did it cost? Was it 40K? Was it 50K? Or was it 60K … more … including the winch and suspension modifications?

After all the repairs, new gas tank, new fuel pump, new tire, and other things, the TOTAL COST of my F-150 with 72,000 miles was about 5K. Importantly, this F-150 has a LONG BED, or as it is properly called, an 8FT BED. The center of gravity on this truck with a long bed is entirely different from a short 6 ½ bed and it makes all the difference in handling, breaking and driveability. The length of the bed and the type of cab (extended vs standard) really matters. Those who drive short bed trucks and mount a camper on them, are fighting Mother Nature. Usually, Mother Nature wins.

In this thread, I am trying to give people information that is practical and useful, so they can get Out There without a loan payment. Maybe there are folks who can’t, or don’t want to, put 60K into a truck. Nevertheless, they want to go camping in style. For them, the F-150 with a long bed is just the ticket. Remember; buy the LONG 8FT BED with your half ton truck because it matters a lot in terms of hauling capacity.

John D

Remember; buy the LONG 8FT BED with your half ton truck because it matters a lot in terms of hauling capacity.

John D

I'm not sure what you mean, yes the COG and positioning is better with a long bed, both my F150 and F250 are, long/8' beds. But still the total carrying capacity is actually rated lower since the bed weighs more. I fully agree with your notions on not spending $60,000 for a truck, or even $30,000, that is just not feasible for lots of people. My F150 was an Ebay find that I have had for maybe 7 years going from 35,000 miles to 106,000. Only real repair was a bad bearing in the rear end that could have been caused by leaving fwd engaged when I got back on pavement. Been a very solid truck, someone else paid the depreciation and I have put on the miles. I made a couple trips to CA from NM. Death Valley, Bay Area 2x, Big Bend and with the Grandby and IMHO it was just barely adequate. Hitting the big hills and having it shift down 2 gears is what sent me looking for something stronger. I can't drive 55 :eek: I year before I bought my 99 F250 I test drove a new 250 and thought it was overkill, I would never want that, and I used to dislike diesels :LOL: I bought this one with 110,000, now 18 months later it has 146,000. It is a pain in the ass in the parking lot, the Titanic has a better turning radius, but it just hums up hills, and performance wise "I don't know the camper is one"

I thought your trip was great, got to see all sorts of things, seems like a wonderful experience and if I ever need a fuel filter changed I know who to call :D (Actually with the 7.3 I change them, different type, frequently). That said I think the 1/2 tons are not an ideal vehicle for the job. I don't really have enough knowledge to know what happens to the vehicle when operated extensively at max load. I can only imagine that drivelines, suspension, engine and chassis will all wear out at an accelerated rate. I know the brakes on my 250 are vastly larger than on the 150, everything is that much stronger. Again I can't drive 55, no doubt drive faster at times than I should. If you take it easy on the 150 it'll probably help it out and reduce any negatives from being at or beyond the intended load.

Everything else being equal, the extended cab adds more weight than 1 1/2 feet of bed length takes away. The standard cab with a short bed has the greatest load capacity. Next in net load capacity is the standard cab 8 foot bed truck. However, the longer wheel base makes the standard cab 8 foot bed truck drive better than the little sporty short bed trucks. Going one step further, the extended cab with an 8 foot bed drives and rides even better, but the net weight capacity is quite a bit less. Essentially, a half ton truck with extended cab and 8 foot bed might have a net capacity of only 700 or 800 pounds. Thus, with an extended cab and 8 foot bed, it becomes almost essential to go up to a 3/4 ton. That is a long truck, but it rides like a Cadillac. If folks stick to a standard cab 8 foot bed truck, they are less expensive to purchase new and they have better resale value because they are in wide use commercially. This style of truck is where slide in campers started.

Anyway, most people are buying the extended cab trucks with the 6 1/2 beds. These are really not well suited to campers but they are the most popular truck, nevertheless. I am guessing more campers are built these days for short beds than for long.

With regard to changing those fuel filters, it would have ruined the trip for most folks. Our truck worked very poorly until I put on the new tank. Something like this is often the case with a used truck, especially a work truck like this F-150. Contractors, governments, businesses and farmers who own most of this style of pickup usually don't sell them unless there is something wrong with them. The previous owner obviously could not fix the tank on this F-150 and you could see they tried. That is probably why it was sold with only 72,000 miles on it. If someone wants a nice rig, buy a new stripped down half ton work truck with a standard cab, 2WD, long 8 foot bed truck and put a FWC/ATC on it. John D

Everything else being equal, the extended cab adds more weight than 1 1/2 feet of bed length takes away. The standard cab with a short bed has the greatest load capacity. Next in net load capacity is the standard cab 8 foot bed truck. However, the longer wheel base makes the standard cab 8 foot bed truck drive better than the little sporty short bed trucks. Going one step further, the extended cab with an 8 foot bed drives and rides even better, but the net weight capacity is quite a bit less. Essentially, a half ton truck with extended cab and 8 foot bed might have a net capacity of only 700 or 800 pounds.

Here are the capacities as listed on the F150net website, for 4x4

Maximum Payload (lb.) 1660 1840 1550 1725
Reg cab LB Reg cab SB Supercab LB Supercab SB

I realize not everyone wants to buy a "new" expensive truck. I wan't suggesting that anyone buy a new truck....only that they consider getting a 3/4 ton truck rather than a 1/2 ton truck.....both for safety and comfort.

I tend to drive my trucks until they rust out from underneath me....so I wanted to start with a new one. My Tundra has over 200K miles on it and I still own and drive it. I will keep it 'til it dies.

Same with the Ford.

I could not drive 55 mph.....just don't have that kind of patience I guess.

John D, one big pitfall in your all encompassing logic is you are focused on solo or two person travel only. Some of use do have a rug rat or two to travel with and a standard cab is no go. ;)

Plus I'll also say your logic of resale on a standard cab truck being higher due to commercial use is flawed. Commercial folks don't tend to buy used, the private market does and the private market heavily favors extended cabs as can been seen by the numbers of them out there (can't say I disagree, I LOVE having a quad cab and deal with any shortfalls it presents with no regret).

I LOVE having a quad cab and deal with any shortfalls it presents with no regret).

pods8,

I too love having the quad cab. The Tundra only had the little jump seats for a back seat and it just wan't enough room for me. I love having the full sized back seat and back doors.

well no matter how you slice it John has provided a detailed personal insight into his experience. its a good story that i liked reading.

well no matter how you slice it John has provided a detailed personal insight into his experience. its a good story that i liked reading.

Agree!

A good one for sure. I was rooting for Ford and John reading that post.

+4

For sure, he just seemed to present it with a slight chip on his shoulder about it and I'm not sure why. :unsure:

For sure, he just seemed to present it with a slight chip on his shoulder about it and I'm not sure why.
huh.gif

aaaah well the same gets said about me now and then....but i know its not the intention.
i know in my case i get a bit passionate defending my POV.

Answer to those who favor the POV, quad cabs, and other extended cab pickups;

I would like to see our lightweight popup camper builders come up with a camper designed specifically for a standard cab with a front window that mates up full size to the rear window of the pickup. Then, inside the camper, I want a safe place to sit or lie down for the third passenger, or even seats, properly protected with seat belts, and the dual purpose of passenger seating, to make it a secure place to ride while under way. The open space directly behind the front seats created by the full size open window to the back could also serve conveniently for stowing items needed while on the road, for example coolers, pillows, snacks, maps, and other things.

In addition to this, I want the camper coupled to the truck AC system and the windows and interior designed to make the camper insulated from road noise.

These improvements would make conventional long bed work trucks more appealing to a wider group of folks who like the extended cab trucks but, like me, prefer the price, efficiency, commercial, agricultural, and mechanical advantages of the standard half ton pickup. It might be possible to add the needed upgrades to the camper for less cost than the price of the extended cab option.

Just a thought. Could it work?

John D

Just due to liability and engineering/testing requirements I don't see any of these type of manufacturers stepping up design a product for human occupancy while traveling any time soon... Even if they did they surely would have more weight/frame involved because they're not going to mount a restrained seat to the current plywood & aluminum frame.

I like the quad cab for a lot more than just when the camper is couple to it. I've driving standard cab trucks before and unless if was only a dedicated work truck I'd never personally own one again. But its to each their own.

If we're talking random cool design ideas, I think it'd be cool to have a 3/4T quad cab with two single seats on each side and nothing in the middle. Have a full cab height removable door in the back of the cab in that space. Couple a camper on it with the same thing and a flexible gasket to seal things up when the camper is on. (You'd need a custom bed or have the camper mounted right on the frame to get rid of the front wall of the bed as well). Basically would allow hunched over access between the two which would be good for storage, extra space, etc. when in either.

Back in the 70s, it was popular to cut mini trucks in the fashion pods8 suggests. It was a fad, along with a removable top. Kits to make removable tops are still sold for mini trucks. I don't know about the slot between the seats. It would be interesting to research possible problems with these modifications because it is similar to pods8 suggestion.

I have not studied the regulations lately. Even so, I believe it is legal to ride in the bed of a pickup. I also feel confident it can be done safely. Some do not ride in the camper. I do. This has been debated before. At any rate, a large window on the front of the camper shaped to fit the rear window of a pickup is a good option. The customer can do what they wish with it, including but not limited to a big boot to connect the camper with the cab.

Now that I have a working F-150, I am thinking of doing this in order to gain some of the advantages of an extended cab.

Back
Top Bottom