Fall!

We don't see much of the autumnal changes here on the beach (the palm trees just blow in a different direction!)but the mornings are definitely getting a little crisper....a foggy September and rain in the first week of Ooctober?? WTH? Where's our Indian Summer?

Thats what I want to know. I'm not ready for winter. Please return summer for four more weeks.

There is always plenty of room and good food at the inn.

:) We'll sure let you know when we venture down your way!

Stormy night! Old Man Winter has arrived with a vengeance, maybe it's just an early visit. ;)
We've received 2" of rain and peak wind gusts of 42mph here in the Gold Country.

These were taken Sept 23rd at our log home near Leadville.

Attachments

• cabin 029 Large e-mail view.jpg
    cabin 029 Large e-mail view.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 71
These were taken Sept 23rd at our log home near Leadville.

Attachments

• cabin 049 Large e-mail view.jpg
    cabin 049 Large e-mail view.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 79
blood, sweat, and tears....

Attachments

• cabin 051 Large e-mail view.jpg
    cabin 051 Large e-mail view.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 83
Unfortunately they are already white around here. Way too early the first week in October, hoping for at least four more weeks of good weather. We still have lingering nightmares from last winter.

patience Mark, patience......it will come :)

Finally! The first freezing night at my house: overnight low of 30.6° this morning.
ohmy.gif

35° this morning, 2.75" rain current storm total. Still raining. All the remaining peaches are coming off the trees today. Fall is here.

30 degrees this morning, 4" of snow over night and snowing very lightly. Just got in from shoveling the decks and snow blowing the driveway. October 6 is way too early for this to start.

On the radio they said it was 62 degrees as I was coming home. Record low (high) for the date is 64. See tomorrow if we set a record.

A new lower High temp today at my house: 51°.
And new snow in the mountains --above 6000' anyway-- yesterday/today.
A couple of friends of mine went fishing at Paulina Lake today, and they have a photo of their freshly-caught fish laying on a snow-covered picnic table.

Freezing temps in the Sacramento Mts. last night, and the forecast is for 30's all through the week. The aspens are putting on their colors. It's fall alright. Sure would like some more precip, but I don't think Ma Nature wants to cooperate.

Signs of fall at the Barcroft Station at 12,000 feet in the White Mts (of CA, not NH):

gallery_2431_332_11963.jpg

And up on 14,250-foot White Mt Peak:

gallery_2431_332_11486.jpg

Both of these images are from the University of California Barcroft Station webams.

I hope the road up there stays mostly accessible for the duration of my eastern-Sierra visit this month...gonna spend at least a couple/few nights camped there. I hope I can get to the ultra-cool-view spot that's at the top of the Silver Canyon road, just outside of the protected Bristlecone Area (by ~100 yards) and so a legal dispersed-camping spot.

La Niña, round 2
ohmy.gif
:

La Niña Means Wet Winter Ahead In Northwest
From Oregon Public Broadcasting news.

"State and city agencies are calling on Oregonians to prepare for a wet winter.The National Weather Service says we're in the second year of a La Niña cycle...
...In the Pacific Northwest, that translates to lots of precipitation. So this winter is likely to be much like last winter, with deep snow in the Cascades and possible flooding in the Spring."

I bought a new splitboard last weekend at the Prior factory turkey sale. We have mixed snow in the forecast her at sea level for Thursday and we've had quite a bit of snow falling up high already. I'm thinking I might not have to wait too long before I can make some early season turns! Already a 1m base at about 1500m here - never melted this summer.

Back
Top Bottom