Fall!

It was over 90° in Bishop today!
ohmy.gif

Is that fall? Indian summer, I guess.

Guess that's why there's less snow visible today in this view (of White Mt. Peak east of and 10,000' above Bishop) than was visible yesterday:

gallery_2431_332_12134.jpg

La Niña means the drought will be extended for us in the SW :( :( :( and we'll likely have another bad (worse?) fire season.

But, for now, I'll enjoy the fall colors. This is on my commute to work.The aspens are at about their peak.

Attachments

• autumn_2011.jpg
    autumn_2011.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 66
La Niña means the drought will be extended for us in the SW :( :( :( and we'll likely have another bad (worse?) fire season.

Yeah...that sucks.
sad.gif

People in wet, wet, western Oregon are already whining about the forecast of another long-wet winter...but barring floods, too wet isn't nearly as bad as too dry.

Looks like I will start up and run both snowblowers tomorrow during my lunch break and fill my gas container............just to be prepared.

Statement as of 4:02 PM PDT on October 31, 2011

... Unsettled weather returns to the region this week...

Cooler... wetter and windier weather returns this week as a pair of
weather systems will affect the region. The first system will
brush across northern California early Tuesday with the main
impact expected to be increasing northerly winds in its wake on
Tuesday afternoon. Northerly winds of 15 to 25 mph with local
gusts up to 35 mph will be possible in the western Sacramento
Valley. Gusts up to 45 miles per hour will be possible Tuesday
night over the northern Sierra Nevada... especially down west
facing canyons and over mountain ridges. Winds are expected to
decrease by Wednesday.

A much colder weather system is forecast to move into the region
Thursday. Generally light to moderate amounts of precipitation are
expected with this system into Friday with potentially several
inches of snow accumulating over the higher northern Sierra Nevada
mountain passes... including I-80 over Donner Pass and Highway 50
over Echo Summit. Snow levels by Thursday night are forecast to
lower to around 3000 feet for the southern Cascades and around 4000
feet for Sierra Nevada south of Lake Tahoe.

...both snowblowers...

Two snowblowers? You operate one in each hand?
huh.gif

Just wondering...

Both snowblowers started first pull. That makes me happy. Here's a look around the place last week. Aspens leaves are now dried and falling.

Aspen

gallery_1902_252_37065.jpg

the start of the annual Ponderosa Pine needle drop

gallery_1902_252_57796.jpg

the peach leaves are going

gallery_1902_252_112035.jpg

and redbud at sunset

gallery_1902_252_14257.jpg

Backyard Buck -- a feature of fall!
In my backyard this afternoon. I generally only see guys like this in my yard in the fall...when they're out looking for dates, I guess.

gallery_2431_332_2363.jpg

The big guy was semi-disabled, however -- holding his right hind leg up, and I can see there's some big knot at a joint:

_DSC0946.jpg
As long as he stays in this predator-free neighborhood he should be OK. Nobody even lets their dogs run loose on my street -- good neighbors!
There are no fences between the houses in my neighborhood/street, and that continues down to the Deschutes River about 100 yards away, so it's good habitat for deer.

New low for the season at my house this morning, 19°.
wxStationGraphAll

Other places in the Bend area have already had lower temperatures -- last week, but this is the first low in the teens at my house since spring.

NOAA has lows of 27F predicted for Thursday night for Nevada City and we live 800' higher.

With the weather shift at hand, I pulled all of our tomato plants this evening, which were still ripening fruit. We'll ripen what we can and do green tomato chutney and fried green tomatoes to use the rest
We've still got lettuce/arugula growing and green peppers, serano and pasilla peppers which seem to tolerate the cold. I bent some EMT conduit and made cold frames this spring, so I'll be setting up visqueen tents to preserve the remaining veggies. Call them Garden Popups! :D

What a change up! On Sunday Susan and I worked hard in the garden under a hot sun putting in three types of potatoes, garlic and onion sets. We seeded a cover crop over the other beds, so they can build up nitrogen, etc. over the winter. We had a great six months of garden veggies, but now it's going to go on winter auto-pilot soon.

Yep-been stacking wood on the front porch, getting ready -supposed to snow on Thursday. I guess these nice quick runs will turn into well thought out and prepared trips into the elements and sure am glad i brought an arctic blanket for the PU-it works. Anyone heading over to the Northern Ca Coast to say good by to your beaches should call the Ca Park and Rec Offices before they go-already shut down Manchester CG-say its seasonal (BS-the only time I go is fall and winter), 2/3rds of the camping slots at MacKichner and West Port Union CG's roped off. I went over expecting to see petitions, ect on all the bill boards asking for help-saw nothing, from what I found out, the p and rec folks are pissed that the parks bill was voted down and have given up the fight, this is one of those things where one group of pols, bluffed another group and the bluff was called and we the public suffer. Yep, sell off those beaches to private ect., make some $- but they can't do it, so they just shut everything down-sort of how WWI started, once the plans got started things couldn't be stopped. Been sending $, signing things on the various web sites and they don't care. Guess I got to find a nice beach in Oregon when I need a break from the desert and mountains-won't be the same-life goes on!

sort of how WWI started, once the plans got started things couldn't be stopped.

I thought Hitler and Pearl Harbor were somehow involved :oops:

That's what started WWII, WWI was sort started more by accident, doesn't matter really, they are still going to close down the beaches-yep got money or live in the south of Ca, get to go to a beach and watch the sun sink into the Pacific and hear the surf all night! Still mad about it!!!:(

NOAA has lows of 27F predicted for Thursday night for Nevada City and we live 800' higher.

With the weather shift at hand, I pulled all of our tomato plants this evening, which were still ripening fruit. We'll ripen what we can and do green tomato chutney and fried green tomatoes to use the rest
We've still got lettuce/arugula growing and green peppers, serano and pasilla peppers which seem to tolerate the cold. I bent some EMT conduit and made cold frames this spring, so I'll be setting up visqueen tents to preserve the remaining veggies. Call them Garden Popups! :D

What a change up! On Sunday Susan and I worked hard in the garden under a hot sun putting in three types of potatoes, garlic and onion sets. We seeded a cover crop over the other beds, so they can build up nitrogen, etc. over the winter. We had a great six months of garden veggies, but now it's going to go on winter auto-pilot soon.

We were given some green tomatoes the other day and Sharon found a recipe for a green tomato pasta sauce. It was yummie.If you would like it let me know.

Oh by the way it's extreme sun here on the coast today.What a great "first nation summer"we have had.

Frank

Of course, now that I'm no longer working saturdays the leaves are gone and the rain comes. Ah well, I'll dig out my snowshoes if I have to. Time to take a trip.

Back
Top Bottom