Fantastic Fan variable speed control

I wish these companies would post their specs, if indeed it is acoustic humming due to the pwm controller frequency being in the audible range. I contemplated ripping Mr. billharr's soundtrack off of youtube and dumping it into Audacity to get the spectrum of the noise, but then there is no frequency specification to compare with the noise. It will be interesting to hear what Mr. billharr learns from the vendor.

I've been interested in this for quite some time. I guess I can either go for low freq. PWM with adequate filtering, or High freq. PWM.

I found a few boards that were just above 20kHz and that would be good to try. It might drive your cat crazy...

Here is a tech bulletin on how to add a smoothing capacitor to a PWM controller that is causing audible humming: link is a pdf file

http://tinyurl.com/qeyax59

Looks like you want it before the output amp. A low pass LC subwoofer filter after the amp might work as well, but they are large and expensive.

Here is what the vendor sent.

Dear bikeama,

hi
dear
please check item number :
it seems last can not more fit for you

- abstore08

I made links out of the item numbers that go to his ebay auctions.

161224478907 shows a PWM frequency of 21 kHz will this be audible?

161778762424 has the discription below and sounds like it might work. What say the electrical experts?

fan c.jpg

The latter looks good to me if its 21 kHz or more. I can barely hear that frequency at my age, 52. It all seems like a crapshoot without the specs.

Eta: Played around with audacity freeware. Don't know the limit of my super tweeters but I could only hear up to 15 kHz, my son was able to hear up to 19 kHz. I think I'd be good at 21 kHz pwm.

Just an update. Thanks to Harv I have a controller that does not make noise ;-)

See video below, runs slow enough you can see the blades go by without any noise. Now do I want to cut a hole and put a fan in the front?????

billharr said:
Just an update. Thanks to Harv I have a controller that does not make noise ;-)

<snip>
Thanks Bill, what controller (or fix) did you get and could you provide a link? Thanks.

Ski, Harv sent me the controller he had two. I do not have the link but looked on Ebay and found this one that looks the same. As long as the frequency is high enough so you can not hear it it should work. Still find it hard to believe how cheap these are.

med_gallery_1903_342_622252.jpg

I've been following the discussion and had a few questions I hope someone can answer.
My camper has the basic vent, but no fan. I was going to buy a three speed with reverse model fantastic fan, but was wondering what affects the controller has on the fan's operation.

Does the controller affect the reversing feature, or is it controlled by a separate switch?
Can I buy a single speed fantastic fan (if they even make one) and install the controller for variable speed?
Could I buy a switch to (I assume) reverse the polarity so the fan will operate in reverse mode?
Finally, I see what I assume are older and newer model fantastic fans for sale on ebay. Is one version better or more reliable?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

For the factory 3 speed Fantastic Fan, there is a separate switch for direction - in or out
There are several models that fit in the standard vent. 3 speed is factory standard.
Options include the following: 14 speed, rain sensor, color for vent lid, thermostat, remote control, external cover so that fan can operate in rain without worrying about leaks.
If you are starting fresh, buy the one with options you want.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the information.
I'm just looking for a basic fan and don't need a lot of extras. I do like the variable speed and low energy use the controller discussed above gives you. I also thought the reversing mode would be good, but I'm not sure how much I would actually use it.

EDR said:
Thanks Paul, I appreciate the information.
I'm just looking for a basic fan and don't need a lot of extras. I do like the variable speed and low energy use the controller discussed above gives you. I also thought the reversing mode would be good, but I'm not sure how much I would actually use it.
If you have some skill with the electrical you can save a lot of $$$. Buy the simple non reversible fan, model 1200. Get a DC controller with a reverse switch on Ebay and install.

Thanks Bill!

I've been doing a bit of research. Since I have the factory installed basic fantastic vent unit already mounted in my camper, I'm looking into buying a used motor, fan blade and "wishbone" bracket assembly on ebay and one of the DC motor controllers with reversing switch you mentioned for my fan setup.

I have two more questions I'm hoping you can answer.
Will the newer style (low profile) motor fit under my vents' flat top cover?
I read earlier about others having to use PWMs with a frequency above 20Khz to eliminate an audible buzz. The only PWM controller frequencies (that come with the reversing switch) I found are 500hz, 15Khz, and 16Khz. Are any of these acceptable or will I likely end up with a buzz?

EDR said:
Thanks Bill!

I've been doing a bit of research. Since I have the factory installed basic fantastic vent unit already mounted in my camper, I'm looking into buying a used motor, fan blade and "wishbone" bracket assembly on ebay and one of the DC motor controllers with reversing switch you mentioned for my fan setup.

I have two more questions I'm hoping you can answer.
Will the newer style (low profile) motor fit under my vents' flat top cover?
I read earlier about others having to use PWMs with a frequency above 20Khz to eliminate an audible buzz. The only PWM controller frequencies (that come with the reversing switch) I found are 500hz, 15Khz, and 16Khz. Are any of these acceptable or will I likely end up with a buzz?
My fan has a flat cover, see image. Not sure if you will hear 16Khz. I did find an online tone Generator. Give it a try and see what you can hear. they do recommend head phones.

P1130444.jpg

Thanks to everyone's posts and the extra help from Bill I was able to get my Fantastic fan put together and installed this weekend.

I purchased a newer style used motor, fan and bracket off of eBay for ~ $40 and the motor controller with reversing switch for $8.
The highest PWM frequency I could find in an all-in-one assembly was 16K Hz, but the audio test link Bill shared showed that it was still well above my ability to hear.

FWC pre-wired the Hawk for a fan, so the wiring was actually pretty straight forward.
My only issue was the motor bracket. For whatever reason it was too big to fit into the slots on my 2007 Hawk's Fantastic vent frame.
I ended up cutting the bracket down almost a 1/4" on one side to get it to fit. It did shift the fan blade over, but it still clears the frame.
I don't have a glue gun so I used angled spacers and mounted the controller with nuts and bolts.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 240
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 236
Nice job and under $50 ! How is it working and can up post a link to the controller you used. I might add a front vent.

I've only had a chance to run it for a few minutes but it works great.
Infinite speed settings and no buzz.

Item # 360762240584

View item:
6V-30V 200W PWM DC motor Speed Controller Module with Switchable Potentiometer

(Can't seem to get the link to work, but the title should get you there on eBay. The seller is "axeprice")

beartoothclimb said:
So anybody else do this mod?

Is Item # 360762240584 the way to go for a factory fantastic fan?
Would this be comparable? http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-90V-15A-DC-Motor-Speed-Controller-Pulse-Width-PWM-Speed-Regulator-Switch-16KHz-/261417338800?hash=item3cddb007b0
Would work, might be quite or not. Item number 360762240584 is less money $7.32 and has a reversing switch. You could wire in the switch to the one you have already. How do they make that for $7.32.

Back
Top Bottom