Feels like fall...

takesiteasy said:
This prompted me to look at our records. Longest time below freezing: 98 days!
Longest time below zero: 186 hours (almost 8 days).

But we haven't had cold weather like that for some time. This past stretch has been the coldest I can remember for quite a while.

http://climate.umn.edu/doc/journal/below_freezing_streak2009.htm

http://climate.umn.edu/doc/journal/below_zero0901.htm
If I heard the news right a few nights ago.They said the average temp in the US was 14* for that day and set a record.Just heard it in passing and not since than.Hope I have that info right.
Anyway it's cold in lots of places where it shouldn't be.
Maybe winter will bring some warm weather.
Frank

Even in Sac its been chilly. Nice layer of frost on everything this morning. The time of year I'm glad I live in a relatively warm area.

This was on FB yesterday...

994397_661937903857191_949036687_n.jpg

takesiteasy said:
This prompted me to look at our records. Longest time below freezing: 98 days!
Longest time below zero: 186 hours (almost 8 days)....
Now you see, it's because of facts like those in the quote above...

...that I made the statement in the quote below! ;)

MarkBC said:
...I'm glad I don't live in one of those states where it's like this all the time every winter...

Water appeared, dripping down the downspouts from our gutters. A remarkable surprise. Bet it freezes into clear ice tonight. :eek:

ski3pin said:
Water appeared, dripping down the downspouts from our gutters. A remarkable surprise. Bet it freezes into clear ice tonight. :eek:
As I type this I can hear the drip, drip, drip of water as it hits the bottom of the downspout at this corner of the house.

Dripping water, I'm jealous.

MarkBC, even I have been wondering why we live here the past couple of weeks. Heading to -10°F again tonight, -30°F wind chill. Had to shovel snow again too. This is getting a bit old, even for an old Minnesotan. I used to enjoy telling people what the winter weather was like. But now I like the global warming of the past few years better.

Suffering horribly here. Windows are open to let in a breeze. Might leave the jacket at home today. Its rough living near sea level.

Almost 80* today in Monterey,BUT the firefighters in Big Sur sure would like some rain,colder temps.
Even at just 500+ acres it's smokey around here.
What a mess down there.
So far no one is hurt.
Frank

Cold is gone...now we are stuck in the fog...1/4 mi visibility or so. Don't like this kind of weather either since if a guy could get some elevation, it would be sunny!

Riverrunner said:
............................................. since if a guy could get some elevation, it would be sunny!
You are in on our secret! :)

Sad weather today. I have the doors open.........................

You guys are killin me. The only good news is your weather heads this way. Tomorrow we might get above freezing. Had some nice sun today. Yay. Forecast for Sunday: high 5°F. At least it's above 0. Coldest stretch here since the 1970s.

Bah humbug :ninja: - i'm at 4,400', and it's still cold and nasty :oops: , we have a pokoniv :( here and it's supposed to snow on Wednesday. But its been warming up when the sun breaks thru ;) and we have been above zero for a while now and above freezing sometimes, but I wonder where they get these 40 degree plus temps they been talking about! Still got lot's of wood :p , and Direct tv so I'm fine :D !

Smoke

Ran into ice fog a couple of times dropping down into Mono Basin. I had never heard it called pokoniv. Where does the word come from?

ski3pin said:
Ran into ice fog a couple of times dropping down into Mono Basin. I had never heard it called pokoniv. Where does the word come from?
My friend in Bridgeport, CA, uses that word to describe the ice fog that forms in the Bridgeport basin in the winter... But I don't know where he got the term.

Back
Top Bottom