Finally ordered! Starting my dream build

krs1

Advanced Member
Hello everyone I'm proud to say after about 8 months of lurking I was finally able to put down my deposit on my new bobcat!!! I'm getting it fully loaded with tons of extras. I'm having my first baby so a vehicle upgrade was needed, I went with a 2017 chevy Colorado crew cab Z71 with the 2.8l turbo diesel! This truck is the perfect platform, I plan on building it overland style to match my brand new camper. That being said I would like to know some of the must haves in your camper builds. I read through a thread of must haves or want but haven't been updated in a while. Currently on order I have 150 watt panel, furnace, rotopax mount, Yakima tracks, and room for engal fridge. Everything else is pretty standard I believe. The build time went from 6 months to 3 so I get to pick up in January!!!!

Gas struts come standard I believe. Any pics of what the insulation package actually consists of? I don't camp in extremely cold weather but will find myself in the 20's in the winter depending

krs1 said:
Gas struts come standard I believe. Any pics of what the insulation package actually consists of? I don't camp in extremely cold weather but will find myself in the 20's in the winter depending
Yes I believe they now come standard.
Congrats on the Bobcat order.
Welcome to the Bobcat group.
Great camper and a lot of fun.
Ours an 09 has served us over 50k miles
and lots of nights.
Frank

Good to hear!!! I might consider the cold pack after the fact

+2 with Mr. Sage on the thermal pack. Keeps the camper warmer in winter, cooler in the summer and keeps things darker inside for sleeping. No silloettes can be seen by others. Worth the investment. Congrats. You will have a blast. jd

Happy Bobcat to you KRS1
You in the same timeframe the wife and I were last year when we got our Cougar.
Congrats

Russ

Your timing is about the same as when I got my Bobcat last year. This is a good time of year to order.

I got the extra 2" of height because I'm tall enough to need it. But it also makes the bed area taller and even my wife (who is much shorter than I am) appreciates it. We like to sleep with our heads toward the interior of the camper, which means a reverse body maneuver getting in and out. The extra height helps.

I'll put a word in for a power roof vent, especially if it comes as a second vent. We don't use ours much but it can be handy on occasion. Without it we wouldn't have a good substitute for it. With our 8' camper I like 2 roof vents - any feature for ventilation is useful - might be different with a 6'.

@Michgoblue what do have for suspension in the rear to account for the camper weight? Also type of camper etc? Pics please!!!!!

So my build got pushed up due to a few not wanting to pick up until spring, woohooo! So I pick up next week!!!! So excited, I plan on posting pics of the crew instal etc and will take some of the interior to share. I had them mount an arb fridge slide with a fixed countertop so I wouldn’t loose the counter space. On the slide will be a Engel mt45, which will be a first for them. Pretty excited to see the finished product. I will be putting the camper on my stock diesel Colorado but have ordered icon suspension. As far as rear end upgrades I will decide on that after my drive home from sac to sd.

Looking forward to the pics! Really looking forward to picking our's up !

Hello everyone shes finally here!I did a smash and grab drive from san diego to sac which for me was just about 500 miles. I awoke friday morn at a crisp 0330 bright eyed and frothiness was overflowith because my pick up time was around 1300. I drove straight up with zero fuel stops due to the diesel colorado which does unreal, I was on E pulling up to the factory but couldnt believe how well the truck did. I anticipated 25 mpg and got almost 30 with hardly any head wind. there was a F-250 just about to pull out at 1130 when I had got there and I was up next, I cruzed around the factory and set my eye on my bobcat! Every bit of badassness I had anticipated and was almost hard to believe it was going on my truck. Marty offered me a dounut which I gladly took him up on and they began to wire the truck, backed her up and he gave me the run down which was very nice. At no time was there a feeling of pushing me out the door and honestly if I had asked to camp there for the night I'm sure they would have said yes lol. Through out the build process I had called them no less than a dozen times to pick martys brain on options and what I wanted done and everytime I was never treated as a nusance. Marty stated my camper was the heaviest bobcat to leave there factory with a weight of 1130 lbs due to all the options I had chose which where all needed in my eyes. One of the options that I had asked for was something that they had never done before and makes mine one of a kind at this point. I went with the engle mt-45 with an arb fridge slide mount where they would put the engle fixed mount this was for one huge reason, counter space!!!!! with the traditional fixed ount you loose the raised counter space that would be above the 2 or 3 way fridge do to the chest type fridge that is the engle. The slide allowed my to keep that much needed counter space and still have the chest fridge. I tinkered in the camper for about an hour shook hands and went to my hotel in downtown sac. I woke up and drove home to be back in san diego around 1300 hrs. This will be the official start of my dream build I will post tons of pics along the way as far as the interior of the camper and what I do to the truck. BTW the stck truck handled the camper just fine and airbags in my opinion would be a little excessive!

Attachments

• IMG_7876.jpg
    IMG_7876.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_7877.jpg
    IMG_7877.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_7878.jpg
    IMG_7878.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_7880.jpg
    IMG_7880.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_7882.jpg
    IMG_7882.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_7885.jpg
    IMG_7885.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_7893.jpg
    IMG_7893.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_7894.jpg
    IMG_7894.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_7896.jpg
    IMG_7896.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_7896.jpg
    IMG_7896.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 207
Looks very nice!

I have started thinking about replacing the Ranger with a truck that has a crew cab. Looks like a Chevy is worth serious consideration. Is that a 6 or 6.5 foot bed?

Back
Top Bottom