Finally Picking it up! DRE's new camper

img_138970_1_1d2ee45f09c4913cf1984d82570afc3e.jpg

The full length underbed storage is SO much better looking than the "half" of the others out thus far. Much more visually appealing and the added space has to be great. Do you know if FWC is going to offer this as an option on the slide in campers?

hmt said:
The full length underbed storage is SO much better looking than the "half" of the others out thus far. Much more visually appealing and the added space has to be great. Do you know if FWC is going to offer this as an option on the slide in campers?
I completely agree, and was VERY happy when I learned of the change. In the pictures below you can see the substantial difference in shape. With respect to the slide ins, I haven't heard anything. It's probably doubtful though. I think they "took" the extra space on the flatbeds by making the distance from the bottom of the camper to the bottom of the bed smaller (circled in the pic below, but I don't have measurements to back up the theory). My thinking is that this is because the flatbed base is normally at least a little higher than a standard bed due to the framing.

img_138971_6_e2abd2514970d305c4e011a18083ab8b.jpg

img_138971_8_cd256f2cfa5fd539f65a382adfb472b3.jpg

Don

-

elmo_4_vt said:
I think they "took" the extra space on the flatbeds by making the distance from the bottom of the camper to the bottom of the bed smaller (circled in the pic below, but I don't have measurements to back up the theory). My thinking is that this is because the flatbed base is normally at least a little higher than a standard bed due to the framing.
Makes sense. I've been considering a chassis cab since I will be buying a new truck. I'll have to keep in mind the flatbed might actually be too low on a chassis cab. I think the flat frames of a chassis cab are lower height vs. a truck bed frame. Maybe add a layer of space to the flatbed for low profile storage I guess if needed.

Great build. Thanks for documenting it.

hmt said:
I think the flat frames of a chassis cab are lower height vs. a truck bed frame. Maybe add a layer of space to the flatbed for low profile storage I guess if needed..
Exactly. My flat bed builder offered to put a "shovel box" between the rails so you would have a box maybe 32" wide by 6"-8" high the full length of the bed. Access is from the back via a hinged, weather-tight door. It wouldn't work in our configuration but imagine the possibilities!

As I sit here in the camper tonight at the rear dinette, connected to the house wifi from the driveway, I'm trying to plan the underbed storage... There was a thread a little while back that had thin zipper cloth cases for organizing clothing that were for sale on Amazon. They came in 3 or 4 sizes, and a few different color variations. For some reason, I can't find that now. Anyone remember the thread or the link to Amazon?

Got the propane filled and the heater is running and easily keeping the inside at 70, but it's only about 51 here right now. Feels pretty nice. I'm going to leave a couple lights on in addition to the heater all night (turned down to 50) to see how the battery lasts, then tomorrow morning I'll plug it in to see how the charger pulls it back up. Tomorrow I'll fill the water tank and fire up the water heater. Tomorrow night it's supposed to rain, so I'll probably take the opportunity to sleep out here and make sure it's water tight.

Since I'm one here, I'll post a couple pictures. Got the stairs hooked up... May try another set that connects easier since these will have to come on and off, but they sure are nice and stable this way. I was able to bolt them right to the side of the extrusion of the bed which made it super easy.

img_139011_0_c570706599f35884cf7d565f125ddcd3.jpg

img_139011_2_bfde209d7565d71419b4798a3d6176a5.jpg

Also got a chance to weigh it at work today. Over GVWR already... Whomp, whomp, whomp. But we knew it would since it was 7800 stock. Still plenty of room on the GAWRs though, and it drives almost better than it did before the camper. I did about 70 miles of mixed highway today, and the only issue was on a couple sections of concrete road where it started to buck front to back a bit. Not sure what I can do the help with that. I think playing with the air pressure in the bags may help a bit though. Next time I'm driving down that way, I'll try to remember to inflate or deflate the bags a bit.

Total (compared to 8900 GVWR)

img_139011_4_7c711da7555cee8a45fb9d43da8d13c3.jpg

Rear axle (compared to 6084 GAWR):

Front axle is 5200 GAWR with a weight of about 4800 measured (I know a calc gives 4860, not sure if the scale has that much error or if it's how the truck was on it)

I'm enjoying it already! :D

Don

-

Camping in your driveway? None of us has done that before :) It is one sweet looking rig. I'm envious of all the extra storage you have.

elmo_4_vt said:
As I sit here in the camper tonight at the rear dinette, connected to the house wifi from the driveway, I'm trying to plan the underbed storage... There was a thread a little while back that had thin zipper cloth cases for organizing clothing that were for sale on Amazon. They came in 3 or 4 sizes, and a few different color variations. For some reason, I can't find that now. Anyone remember the thread or the link to Amazon?

Got the propane filled and the heater is running and easily keeping the inside at 70, but it's only about 51 here right now. Feels pretty nice. I'm going to leave a couple lights on in addition to the heater all night (turned down to 50) to see how the battery lasts, then tomorrow morning I'll plug it in to see how the charger pulls it back up. Tomorrow I'll fill the water tank and fire up the water heater. Tomorrow night it's supposed to rain, so I'll probably take the opportunity to sleep out here and make sure it's water tight.

Since I'm one here, I'll post a couple pictures. Got the stairs hooked up... May try another set that connects easier since these will have to come on and off, but they sure are nice and stable this way. I was able to bolt them right to the side of the extrusion of the bed which made it super easy.

img_139027_4_c570706599f35884cf7d565f125ddcd3.jpg

img_139027_6_bfde209d7565d71419b4798a3d6176a5.jpg

Also got a chance to weigh it at work today. Over GVWR already... Whomp, whomp, whomp. But we knew it would since it was 7800 stock. Still plenty of room on the GAWRs though, and it drives almost better than it did before the camper. I did about 70 miles of mixed highway today, and the only issue was on a couple sections of concrete road where it started to buck front to back a bit. Not sure what I can do the help with that. I think playing with the air pressure in the bags may help a bit though. Next time I'm driving down that way, I'll try to remember to inflate or deflate the bags a bit.

Total (compared to 8900 GVWR)

img_139027_8_7c711da7555cee8a45fb9d43da8d13c3.jpg

Rear axle (compared to 6084 GAWR):

Front axle is 5200 GAWR with a weight of about 4800 measured (I know a calc gives 4860, not sure if the scale has that much error or if it's how the truck was on it)

I'm enjoying it already! :D

Don

-
Nice Rig! I have a 2016 Ram with a Hawk and Alum-Line bed similar to yours.

Here are the bags I think you are talking about...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092X0R6I?colid=VBH5QP39H8T0&coliid=I81O97G7VHY09&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

barkerco said:
Nice Rig! I have a 2016 Ram with a Hawk and Alum-Line bed similar to yours.

Here are the bags I think you are talking about...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092X0R6I?colid=VBH5QP39H8T0&coliid=I81O97G7VHY09&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl
Awesome! Thanks for the link. I was trying for 20 minutes last night.

Do you have a thread w/ pictures of yours?

On my truck today, I didn't get nearly as much done as I thought I would. Changing the radio kicked my butt. Factory radio was stuck. Wasted two hours on that before I took it to a shop. Took them another 30 minutes, and only because they removed the whole dash with the radio in it. Was just out putting the radio and everything else back together, and the switch for the backup camera broke as I was pushing it through the dash. Darn it! :mad: I'll have to order another switch and wait for delivery. Ordering the better quality switch this time. :oops: Good thing I can still camp tonight!

Don

-

elmo_4_vt said:
Awesome! Thanks for the link. I was trying for 20 minutes last night.

Do you have a thread w/ pictures of yours?

On my truck today, I didn't get nearly as much done as I thought I would. Changing the radio kicked my butt. Factory radio was stuck. Wasted two hours on that before I took it to a shop. Took them another 30 minutes, and only because they removed the whole dash with the radio in it. Was just out putting the radio and everything else back together, and the switch for the backup camera broke as I was pushing it through the dash. Darn it! :mad: I'll have to order another switch and wait for delivery. Ordering the better quality switch this time. :oops: Good thing I can still camp tonight!

Don

-
You're welcome. I just posted my build this AM, been meaning to... your thread reminded me to.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/12000-2016-ram-chassis-cab/

Don...

That is simply one sweet rig you have there! A beauty! And the camping opportunites, just off your driveway ( :) ) are endless.

Nope, never camped in my driveway, either...... :ninja:

PM sent regarding 7.3L maintenance.

Bill

Just some more interior pictures for those that like looking at pics. Not that we really have much sorted out as of yet, other than some dishes and the sleeping bag/blanket that we're using for the top bunk. The rest we'll figure out as we go, making sure to keep it as minimalist as possible.

Enjoy the pictures:

Under bed storage. And so it's linked in more than one place, we plan on getting bags like these to fill up. Each person will have a couple bags of their own color, then extras (towels, sheets, etc) will have a color as well. (Also looks like long guns will fit on the sides)

img_139104_1_99dbda4bf7daa12b0331ea5a39665ce2.jpg

Storage electronics and the cassette toilette:

img_139104_3_cce2297d973bea4111be068ce7b3089d.jpg

Closeup of the electronics area and solar charger:
img_139104_5_cd5c8561b92879304ec9309308007abf.jpg

The bed:

img_139104_7_f598a9638ebedf9c643a06964c9cc11f.jpg

Sink and Stove:

img_139104_9_551753bc82f0fdfe7d794bd3e2bc4332.jpg

Storage in the kitchen area:

img_139104_11_b9e7f3097abd004c174ed5d97ad2ce02.jpg

Rear Dinette:

img_139104_13_17ef697688b3a35dbb55e43d2c4625e2.jpg

First night pretending I'm working:

img_139104_15_e4d757b0005d20ae9cbde84112b2acd7.jpg

Rear bed:

img_139104_17_27ae246cb860aae4c468d28fe96d0552.jpg

With the all important (old) dog bed:

img_139104_19_219dd1e67de1f320e87baef66a84f78e.jpg

That is awesome
Our lab is laying under our feet in our Grandby front dinette, her special place.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Is your cab over bed a fixed bed or does it extend like the regular FWC models?. With the under bed storage I wondered if it could extend. jd

I love the full length under the bed storage.
That would be a terrific option for the slide in models.

Stan - hope you are reading this!

longhorn1 said:
Is your cab over bed a fixed bed or does it extend like the regular FWC models?. With the under bed storage I wondered if it could extend. jd

No, the beds in the flat-bed models do not slide out, but are a full width queen from get-go. I don't believe, because of the under-bed storage, that there is even an option to do a north south king bed with a slide out.

Don

-

DrJ said:
I love the full length under the bed storage.
That would be a terrific option for the slide in models.

Stan - hope you are reading this!
I agree dr j! I think a full queen bed and under bed storage should be an option on the standard campers along with the flat beds. I have been in hallmark campers and it makes a huge difference in the size and space of the camper.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

Back
Top Bottom