Finally sprung for a FWC

TrapperMike

Advanced Member
Hello All !
First post, although I have been here for a long time and really gained a lot of good information from everyone. Thank You!

Today I made the down payment on my soon to be new FWC. I will be getting the Hawk Shell from Sean Dempsey in Eagle, Wisconsin.

Wanted to keep things simple. Dual batteries, furnace, stove over the furnace, side dinette, Yak rack on the top for the canoe, and side awning. Adding an external solar panel later and an Engel refrigerator.

I plan a short winter camping trip shortly after I pick it up, just to get the feel of things and what I might need and might not need. I have only tent camped prior.

I do have a question on cookware: I am used to toting around a lot of cast iron cookware when tenting out of the truck, but would like to keep things as light as I can in the camper. Any suggestions on a quality lightweight cookware set that doesn't take up too much space?

Thanks and I'll post pics of the first excursion after the camper arrives.

Welcome and congrats on your new camper! We look forward to lots of photos and reports on trips in Wisconsin. Both sides of my family settled in Wisconsin in the mid 1800's and I was born there. I have been away many many years.

Congrats on your new camper. We got ours from Sean Dempsey also. We do most of cooking with a grill and have one Lodge frying pan that we use, so I can't help you with that
Look forward to seeing your build. No sink??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

I carry a Griswold #7 cast iron fry pan with lid and a small sauce pan that I picked up at a thrift store somewhere along the line. Try to do most of my cooking outside on a propane grill.

Congrats on the purchase!

Congrats on getting a FWC! I used to use MSR gear in the camper but switched to a cheap non stick frying pan for ease of cleaning.

Congrats on the new camper. Your shell sounds like the used 2013 shell I purchased, except mine had a front dinette in it. I build it out with a side dinette.

We do limited cooking inside. Small teflon frying pan, Small pot with lid and a very old Revere coffee pot. Also have a Coleman fold and go BBQ.

Thanks all for the replies!

A few other options I have that were omitted in the OP:
  • Thermal Pack
  • Curtains
  • Lift Assist
  • Power Roof vent
  • Rear Wall Steps
  • and of course the Camper Jacks
Longhorn1: Yes no sink. I have a large lightweight stainless steel pot that I have used for years tent camping as a wash basin/sink among other things. Plan on carrying a couple 5 gallon water jugs also.

Ace!: A lot of things you can get with a shell now that you couldn't when I started looking into getting a FWC in 2002

Plan on camping as is a few times before I progress with a build so I can get a feel for what I might need.

MSR Alpine 4 Pot set for me - very versatile - I use the biggest pot for lots of things other than cooking - salad bowl, washing veggies etc. and a cheap teflon fry pan works best - but i don't cook fancy

Thanks to all for the replies and well wishes!

I've been doing a lot of research on this forum and other areas in anticipation of the new FWC Hawk Shell (with a lot of options). It is supposed to be on the November shipment to Wisconsin! Although, November is a very busy month for me, and I probably won't have time until sometime in December to make the 4 hour trek the Milwaukee area to have Sean do the install.

As far as the cookware question in my OP: I am leaning toward the MSR Quick 2 or 4. Have to do a little more research. Also considering the MSR Alpine deluxe kitchen set.

Here is what I have done so far:
  • A lot of research on the electrical system for charging the dual batteries. Decided a Trimetric 2030 battery meter was a must have, otherwise kind of like driving your truck without a functional gas gauge. Bought a kit that included the shunt, 2/0 negative cable, and other necessary wiring and it arrived today. Seriously considering solar and looking at either the Morningstar Prostar or Bogart Engineering SC2030 as the solar controller and Renogy 100W hard panel as a moveable panel (lots of trees in the upper midwest). Plan on storing the panel under the bed section over the cab (another project). Unfortunately, my garage where the camper will be stored is quite shaded and fixing a solar panel on the roof to keep the batteries topped off is not really an option. So looking at the Noco Genius G7200 Ultra Safe Smart Battery Charger to keep the batteries topped off when in storage.
  • Installed Super Springs on the truck the other day to add another 900 lb capacity. Install took about 2 hours. Hardest part was getting the wheels off (they sure torqued the lug nuts on tight enough!). Trying to get away from the airbags, but might add them later if necessary. Next truck will be back to a 3/4 ton like my last was instead of the current 1/2 ton.
  • Built a dolly today to store the camper on and be able to move it around in the garage (8' door) when it happens to be in the way of another project. Below is a picture of the dolly made of 2x6's and 3/8 CDX top and bottom (built like a stud wall with cross pieces at about 16" on center) with 5" swivel castors from Northern Tool and sits about 12 inches high. It stows nicely under my boat trailer out of the way when not in use. Hopefully I can drop the camper down that low, because I would like to be able to pop the top up in my 9 ft garage. My buddy is trying out the new dolly in the photo.
Before I finish, can someone point me to a thread that assists in posting links to other websites when a specific product is mentioned? I tried that here, but got caught in an endless loop and had to start my post allover again. Thanks much for all the input and thanks to WTW for this forum!

Attachments

• Complete up high.jpg
    Complete up high.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 229
You might want to add height to the dolly so you only have to raise or lower 2"-3". I'm not sure you can lower the camper that low. I think you might find it is a PITA. I store mine on 3/4" X's with a 4'X8' sheet of plywood and only have to raise it a short distance

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

Longhorn1: Yes, I am aware of the PITA regarding lowering and raising the jacks, but I want to be able to pop the top up occasionally when stored in the garage. As it is now, the dolly is a little more than 12" above the garage floor. I can add some more height to the dolly easily if necessary. My garage has 9' ceiling. BTW, what is the total height when the top is up? I plan on taking off the Yak racks to get through the 8' door.

Our dolly is very similar to yours, for the same reason. We store the camper popped up in the garage, although we only have a 7' door. I marked a line on the jacks so I know how high to crank them up when I want to put the camper back on the truck. It doesn't take too long to raise it up.

Back
Top Bottom