Firearms into Canada

Beach

I know that taking a handgun into Canada is next to impossible, so I would like to carry a either a rifle or shotgun. Can I carry a tactical model shotgun(18.5-20"barrel) or does it have to be a hunting type(longer barrel). Also is there a limited on the mag capacity? Thanks

Beach, your best answer is going to come from Canadian Customs. I wouldn’t depend on internet opinions, regardless of how well intentioned.

Yes, be sure to look through the requirements - there is a barrel length requirement. Also a $25 fee to be paid at the border for each time you cross, so if you go to Alaska, expect (may not always happen but expect it) to pay the fee twice, once going north and once coming back into Canada from Alaska.

As for barrel length they require 457 mm which equals 17.99213 inches.
Several years ago I crossed with my Rem 870 police pump with a 18" barrel and an extended tube with no issues.
Make sure your paperwork is in order.

On edit found this on the RCMP link above:
"There is no maximum magazine capacity for other types of long guns, including semi-automatics that discharge only rim-fire ammunition."

Thanks for the replies, I checked out the RMCP site earlier. Just wanted to see if I could pick up any additional info. from members here. They really stress the paper work requirements on the site

I cross into Canada 6 or more times a year, and all my experiences have been pleasant. They always ask about guns or knives. I would think if you were bringing a gun into Canada for personal protection, you would raise a few eyebrows.You probably have a better chance at winning the lottery, than having to use a gun for protection. If you did use it, you'd have some explaining to do. I personally would avoid bringing a gun into Canada. The border agent has the last say whether you are legal or not, if he says no, then you have to turn back and dispose of the gun before trying to enter again.

shellback said:
They always ask about guns or knives. I would think if you were bringing a gun into Canada for personal protection, you would raise a few eyebrows.
They will ask....my response....my wife is deathly afraid of griz.
Do NOT mention any trepidation of the two legged species.

Asked or not it, is the visitors responsibility to self declare all firearms and weapons. CBSA is clear about that.

shellback said:
I cross into Canada 6 or more times a year, and all my experiences have been pleasant. They always ask about guns or knives. I would think if you were bringing a gun into Canada for personal protection, you would raise a few eyebrows.You probably have a better chance at winning the lottery, than having to use a gun for protection. If you did use it, you'd have some explaining to do. I personally would avoid bringing a gun into Canada. The border agent has the last say whether you are legal or not, if he says no, then you have to turn back and dispose of the gun before trying to enter again.
Yes that happened to a friend of mine this last summer. He was denied entry by the border agent. They have the final say. Not worth the hassle. We just had plenty of bear spray.

The first time I went into Canada (at the Washington state up to Vancouver, BC crossing) I was a clueless 20-something.
When the Border officer asked me if I had any weapons, I naively said, "Just this pepper spray that my grandma gave me"
(yes, that was the total truth. gramma was a worrier. I had to call her each night when I was on the road. back then, I stayed in motels or friend's houses when I was roaming.)

Border officer "You will need to give that to me."
Me "What? It's just pepper spray."
B.O. "Yes, you can't bring that into Canada."
Me "...but my grandma gave it to me!"
B.O. "... "

and that was a lesson learned.

Didn't try bring anything nefarious through again, except for a cat I was bringing back north for some reason (my then boyfriend and I had moved up to Vancouver, then to the Sunshine Coast, and we visited friends in Seattle sometimes. Don't remember the cat story except for this part)
That kitty was about to be denied, but then kitty jumped up on my dashboard and purred at the Border Officer and I could actually see her melt a little.
She waved us through. It was really cute.

(sorry for the off-subject there, I had a moment....)

Back
Top Bottom