Five Day's till the Hawk, F250 2017 2x. On and OFF

inciter

Advanced Member
Blood has been let on the cost so I hope that's enough to become a member. A true Member... In 5 Days. :)

How long did it take you to get removal and install techniques? and do you have any quick tips to pass on?
I know the first will be leave the wife in the house... J/J but? I can hook up the horse trailer and Unhook and park in the closest of spots fast now and my blood pressure is lower. ( Really ) She agrees! ..

I want to not leave it hooked up all the time ( Except during Fire season in San Diego ) for those that hate California I was born in MASS and shoveled the 79 Blizzard this is heaven out here without the politics. But I miss the East coast too. ( The Rain the humidity the excessive lighting bugs...No I miss them most of all )!

Excited Happy I don't think I will have buyers remorse from all of you! so Cheers! From Tim and Kate.
We Will share the Photos! And Adventures.....

inciter said:
Blood has been let on the cost so I hope that's enough to become a member. A true Member... In 5 Days. :)

How long did it take you to get removal and install techniques? and do you have any quick tips to pass on?
I know the first will be leave the wife in the house... J/J but? I can hook up the horse trailer and Unhook and park in the closest of spots fast now and my blood pressure is lower. ( Really ) She agrees! ..

I want to not leave it hooked up all the time ( Except during Fire season in San Diego ) for those that hate California I was born in MASS and shoveled the 79 Blizzard this is heaven out here without the politics. But I miss the East coast too. ( The Rain the humidity the excessive lighting bugs...No I miss them most of all )!

Excited Happy I don't think I will have buyers remorse from all of you! so Cheers! From Tim and Kate.
We Will share the Photos! And Adventures.....
Welcome. My wife has helped me load and unload the camper every time. She is invaluable. Just take it slow. This last time I had it on the truck in 10 minutes. I was probably in the 25-30 range the first 3 years. You should also join the Facebook Four Wheel Camper site. I have pictures of wedges I made for the front of the bed and pieces of 1.5" roof insulation to wedge in the back. Camper centered every time so no need to make adjustments to the turnbuckles. They go right on. You can PM me with an email and I will send the photos if you can find the post on the FWC Facebook site. Regards, jd

Tip would be to have the spotter stand on the drivers side, the better to be seen. Of course the suggestion to be made in your sweetest, most non judgemental way ...

Agree with longhorn, make it all a shared, joint exercise from the get go. It may take years but with patience and practice the whole truck camping experience can go incredibly smoothly (usually) and be very satisfying.

Can't help with load time estimate. Our set up is custom and takes a loong time, embarrassed to say how long. But the joke is, packing takes much longer !!

Enjoy

If you have more than a couple things to do, then a check list is handy and might keep you from ripping out the electrical connection to the truck etc. One thing I did that's works well for me, is the lower front of the camper has a centerline mark that lines up with the mark in the center of the rear of the truck bed. I also use a spotter. Definitely get the drill adapter for the jacks.

Hey! Still in Mass and the winters are still great...for 2 months... and lousy for 4 (I live at 1600 ft in the Berkshires)! I tried to do the wife help thing and for some marriages it might work but herself found it stressful... it then actually worked out fine as I then had to just get a system... it works for me but it does take some jumping in and out of the cab. I put plywood on the ground (dirt driveway ... but on pavement I'd do the same) beneath the four jack stands. this allows me to make gentle taps on the jack legs with a rubber mallet to move the whole camper stance a half inch to square it up just before lowering. I also put a red marker on the bed in CT line. also on the camper front then I line them up and it helps. remember to stop 12 inches before all the way to front to plug in the electrics. I have put a dab of petroleum jelly on each rubber bumper that contacts the front of the bed... less squeaking.
BTW ...you will never regret this... it is such a cool thing... maiden voyage and then the mods that make it your castle on wheels.

What works best for the wife and I is to have her sitting in the drivers seat while I stand right outside the drivers door. I direct her to back up slowly while I reach in through the open door window and turn the steering wheel accordingly. From my position of standing outside the door provides a good view to center the camper and square it with the box.

In the interest of transparency, she hates doing it.

Someone years ago posted this technique which I used as I normally would do the install/take-off by myself (now my FWC stays on full-time).

Put a line down the middle of your truck bed from front to back. Tape, paint, whatever. Put a mark (or line) down the centerline of the camper in the front so you can align the lines while you back up. I actually used a clamp on laser on my back window of my truck and used that and marked the camper from the front along to the top overhang/bed area. Easiest way I could do it without getting in and out (which I still did some).

I've read every post twice thank you all, So the F250 2017 2x will need Air bags! But! only as I will be pulling a two horse trailer with a changing room yet small but saddles and all will be inside it Plus 2 hores... Alone We are good I lost 2 1/2 inches on back and zero on front, and zero on front with trailer dry weight.

I'll put on the Fire Stone (2600) ARB with 5k weight..

We are so happy! with the purchase and just waiting to tweak the inside.

The first tweak! ( Funny story ) A gent was up before my install with a leaking window on the back door........ I noticed the screen door mod with the Bar to open and close and towel hanging... It was the same one I had at home after reading it about it, he said it was his first mod as well... I thought that interesting...http://www.twohappycampers.com/mods-additions-to-our-four-wheel-camper/

the Airbags get setup for the 8th so not to far away! and WILL follow up with pics.

So fun!

Forgot! Gas... it was a 1/4 tank up..of course dry...85 miles out, and 85 back was a 1/4 tank too at about 70 miles per hour.straight, light traffic.

Cheers from Tim and Kate!

Wow you are on s great trajectory. Air bags will level it out side to side or lift the back. If too bouncy let out air. Oh and I love that towel bar on the screen door. I can’t find the link to where you got it. ???

Thanks on the handle... ordered. Went to the Two Happy Campers and saw the photo... can't believe I didn't think of that!

Back
Top Bottom