Flatbed utility trailer for storage?

huckfinn

Advanced Member
I don't mind the camper living on my truck all the time, but my wife would like me to have a pickup sometimes.

I have a steeply sloping driveway and a somewhat less sloping street. I have loaded and unloaded using the truck's winch and a dolly I built, but in both cases, the process was more exciting than I would have chosen, had I known.

Now I'm thinking about a utility trailer that I could use to transport the camper to a flat spot a few blocks away where I could load and unload with peace of mind.

Harbor Freight doesn't seem to be in the business anymore. Northern Tools has a 5x8 1700lb flatbed. The outside of the wheel fenders would clear my Fleet's jackstands with one inch to spare on each side.

I am considering building my own flatbed to custom dimensions but I'm a carpenter not a welder. It doesn't have to go far, and trailer parts are available.

I have found one thread about utility trailers, but it is not as much as I thought I would find.

Mark

Now I'm thinking the Northern Tool trailer might not be so bad, even with tight clearance—because whether loading or unloading, the trailer probably could be put in position by hand, without being attached to the truck.

Even so, if anyone has some experience with this, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Mark

Haven't done it but sure thought about doing it as I also have a PITA load/unload. Same idea, HF cheapie frame trailer, tow it to a parking lot, etc.

But then I went down the trailer rabbit hole: maybe get a better utility trailer and just use it instead of the PU truck, maybe get a bigger trailer, maybe get an enclosed for that side x side I always wanted, maybe I could take it off high ... etc etc.

So I've stayed with PITA, no trailer. But, next rig would be dedicated RV and I'll get a utility trailer for hauling (if I had a place to store all these toys). To do what you are thinking I'd keep it simple, cheap and single purpose. Something like the HF models. Don't see why it woudn't work.

For sure you can move a light trailer around by hand.

Thanks, that's very helpful, just to hear someone thinking through the same issues.

PITA is right. For awhile I was thinking of using a commercial storage space that my wife had rented for other stuff, but when I went to back the truck and camper into it, the roof of the camper wasn't going to clear the top of the rollup door.

So we dropped the camper onto the dolly that I'd built right in front of the storage unit. I'd made the dolly with 8" urethane wheels—surely big enough, right? I just wanted to leave it there overnight till I could come up with another plan, it was getting late.
So it took us an hour to get the camper and dolly up the tiny 1" curb into the storage space.

I mean I'm old, but I still have something left. I thought of pushing the camper up the curb with the truck and a double-folded sleeping bag, but then I thought better of it. I could have used my winch but had no attachment point for a pulley in the storage unit. We finally had to fabricate two tiny ramps for the wheels by graduating strips of cardboard, which was all we could find. Even then, it took everything we had.

I think I'm just going to go with Northern Tools. Thanks.

huckfinn said:
PITA is right. ... For awhile I was thinking... camper wasn't going to clear.... 8" urethane wheels—surely big enough, right? .... took an hour ... the tiny 1" curb... could have used my winch but ... had to fabricate two tiny ramps ... strips of cardboard.... Even then, it took everything we had.
LOL, I feel your pain, Brother.

I've done the dolly with the inadequate wheels, the winching up the driveway, the traverse over to a lumpy lawn ... the whole nine yards. I tell ya, the older I get the better that "easy button" looks !

I say it's definitely worthwhile to spend some dollars to make it all easier. Get it sorted and don't look back.

Good luck with it !

A comment for what its worth:

I have a sloped driveway of stamped concrete pavers. The stamped pattern is similar to stone like slate - it is uneven.

I had trouble pushing my dolly, with the camper on it, around even the flatter part of the driveway. I finally broke two of the wheel hubs.

After a bunch of web searching I wound up contacting "Caster City" which specializes in casters and I spoke with Greg Howard who has been in the business a long time. He recommended some different casters for my application that I would have never thought of and I have to say that they work very well.

I recommend you contact them and explain your situation and my guess is they will come up with a better caster for you that will make it easier for you to move the dolly with the camper on it.

Now I realize that better caster will not solve the problem of a steeply sloped driveway but you comments about needing an hour to get over a 1" curb make me think maybe you need different casters.

http://www.castercity.com/

BTW: The prices I got were better than what was listed on the web page so don't assume cost before you talk to Greg. If you do talk to him ell him you saw a post on Wander the West from a recent customer recommending them.

Regards,
craig

I bought an old popup camper for $100, tore it down and use it to store my Alaskan when it's off the truck. I needed something that would roll on gravel.
alaskan-on-trailer.jpg

alaskan-camper-in-garage.jpg

Excellent idea " this old camper" don't think you could have found a better trailer, bigger wheels roll easier. A front receiver on the ol'truck with a ball mount might be an easy way to push it up the hill(driveway).

Russ

I like EnviroProf's find. I've a little experience with the HF trailers and while OK when kept within their design constraints, they are only a two tire trailer vs. the TS trailer's 4 tires. I do worry that with a rated capacity of 2200 lbs that there isn't a lot of margin when the true gross weight (even when dry) is considered.

Howdy

There IS another thread on this...I cannot find it either but it is worth the read.

My 2012 Hawk shell is surprisingly awkward on a entirely sufficient flatbed trailer I sometimes store ot on.......13 " Tries etc etc.

I would beg or borrow a trailer and put your camper on it somehwere in a flat lot and get the feel for it before investing in a lot of "solutions."

The height and the front overhang of the camper makes for some wacko dynamics when loaded on a trailer....tippy and top heavy.

A trailer might be a great storage alternative for your camper......but it is all a bit of careful work to load and manuver it.

David Graves

EnviroProf said:
Reviving this thread as I'm thinking of how to get my camper into the garage this winter. I was comparing the cost of building a dolly and pushing over gravel vs. buying a used utility trailer. I found this at Tractor Supply, which I could attach to the quad I use to plow my driveway. What do you think?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/field-tuff-utility-trailer?cm_vc=IOPDP1
That trailer might handle the advertised 2200 pounds on a good day, but I bet that steering linkage bends like a gummy worm under load and any resistance from uneven ground. I'm guessing if that linkage fails, you are left with the front wheels doing the permanent snowplow. It looks like the wheels might be steel which would probably be fine. But that skinny linkage.....

I've come to think of Tractor Supply as Harbor Freight with a dog food section.

Adventurebound said:
Harbor Freight is selling trailers again....at least online. I went to the store to pick one of these up but the manager said they havent received authorization yet to sell them in the store but should very soon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lbs-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-heavy-duty-folding-trailer-62648.html
Thanks for the advice. I worry about the weight rating of the HF trailer listed above, although I would only be moving the camper about 30 feet into and out of the garage. Once in place, as someone mentioned above, I could use the camper jacks to secure the camper and reduce some of the weight on the trailer. Still looking at some used utility trailers on craigslist.

Has anybody had success with either the HF 1700lb trailer, or the Tractor Supply one mentioned above? Looking at this option for pushing my Hawk into the garage. I have level ground but brick paver driveway. Thoughts?

Will you be moving the combination by hand or with a vehicle?

With any roughness of the surface a larger OD tire will be easier to push over it. I'd pay attention to the tire or wheel size on the tongue jack if moving by hand. I doubt that the trailer's tires would be a problem.

I wound up purchasing the one I linked to. Pretty decent trailer for moving the camper into my garage. Couple of thoughts:

I have a Hawk shell model, anything kitted out or if you have a Granby I would go with the larger trailer. I am really at the limits of this trailer and the couple of times I used it was a little concerned it would not hold up to the weight.

You will not be able to use a trailer jack wheel on the tounge to move the camper around. With a camper on the trailer it is way too heavy and the trailer frame next to the hitch will severely twist as you apply weight.

Before unhitching you will want to lower your camper jacks to take the weight off the camper, and or put jack stands under the four corners of the trailer.

Again, this is more for moving into and out of the garage and will not act like a dolly. If I had a choice I would build a dolly, however my driveway is too steep to be able to push it in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom