Fleet remodel

Sev3en

As so often is the case a small project turns into a massive one. It started like this:

Our bed board was completly rotted and growing lots of wild little things
mold.jpg

Very squishy
squishy.jpg

Rotten mush
rotten mush.jpg

I called FWC's and Chicali gave me some good tips on getting the new board into place (the rotten one basically fell out).
bedboard out.jpg

As you can see the rail was pretty nasty with mold and corrosion. Some areas of the aluminium are pitted as well. I went at it with a wire wheel and it cleaned up nicely. I should also mention that I did all of this wearing a particulate mask. The oder from the mold was litteraly overwhelming.
cleaned rail.jpg

I decided to use a sanded 3/4" plywood with a healthy coating of exterior paint for the bedboard. I read all the threads here on the forum regarding this project and this was the simplest and best option for me.

Cont...

I used cardboard to make a template for the rounded corners and cut the ply using a Rotozip. I put three solid coats of paint on and it was starting to look good.
painted bedboard.jpg

Following Chicali's advice I removed about 1/3 of the molding on one side that holds the canvas to the body of the camper. This enabled me to slide the new bedboard in over the top of the rail.
Removed molding.jpg

Before moving forward I share a couple other tips. Cut your bedboard 1/4" shorter than factory. You will need this extra room on the install. Make sure that all the screws are removed from the rail. You don't want anything getting in your way, which leads me to my last tip, pound all of the staples that hold the exterior siding on flat. Again you will need all the 1/8" you can find.

Once I slid the board over the top of the rail it was pry bar time.
Pry bar.jpg

I coverd the end of the bar with duct tape and just had to use my hand to pound on the board. I think three good whacks and it fell into place. I then lifted it up and put ALOT of silicone around the entire base and then used some more around the top once I had secured it into place. Every screw got a dab of silicone.

I also drilled new holes in the board and underlying frame to secure the interior edge of the board.
Secured.jpg

Once everything was put back together I have to say I'm super happy with how it came out.
Exterior Shot.jpg

Fortunately or unfortunately this was only the begining of the monster...more to come!

Just thought I'd post up a few more pics of the progress on the Fleet.

Here is how it looked in the begining
Pre Interior.jpg

Some things stripped out
Interior before.jpg

Then there was the mess some would call, wiring.
wiring mess.jpg

Everything out all the way down to the frame
stripped.jpg

stripped2.jpg

It all had to go and I will be starting from scratch. I am really happy with the progress and can't wait to be able to start putting it back together.

till next time.
s.

Sev,

WOW! Your going for it!! So cool that your sharing with us..

No broken frame welds in all that??
I did the upper bunk retro on my old fleet as well. I did not get factory advice when i did mine..ended up having to do it in two pieces and then screw them together when in place..I put a sheet of fiberglass material on the bottom/outside to hide my seem, and to provide protection from weather. It came out nice.

I bought another old fleet site unseen in Arizona for $400.

When I got it home and started digging around, I found the whole front end was "apart" at the welds..It was a big job just to get it solid enough to sell..it was a project I did not enjoy because I knew I was going to sell it and not enjoy it..After a new floor, new frame work, and a host of other projects over 6 months, I sold it for $650...I was clean from the bath I took. the camper was beaten to death by a previous owner in Baja..I think yours is more solid from the start..

Good luck and please keep us updated Sev3en..

TT

Dear Sev3en--

I was intending to go the exact same route as you until I found a used one in good shape, reasonably priced.

It looks to this reader like your fab skills are more than up to the challenge, so go, man! If you want to bounce an idea, go on ahead and post or PM.

Heads up and on the gas, bud!

Mark

So this should catch everyone up to where I am now in the rebuild...

I found some "miss tint" paint at the HD and it was in chocolate brown and thought that for $5 it'd be perfect for the section that is under the benches and I think I'll repaint the exposed ply on the exterior with it too.

painted.jpg

I picked out some UV resistant carpet and used spray adhesive to stick it in place. Turned out nice.

Carpet.jpg

Insulation was in order next and I choose to use the foam sheet type as it would be easy to cut to size and I hate working with fiberglass, win win.

Insulation.jpg
Insulation Installed.jpg

Well that is were things are as of now.

Till next time, enjoy
beach.jpg

Have you considered some 'take-offs' of the frame so that you'll know where it is beneath the interior wall covering?

Keep on.

great write up on the overhead. Gives me a better peak at of what I will be getting into. buy the way what grade plywood did you use.

Sev3en,

Very nice work. You made a good choice on the insulation. Rigid insul. provides more R's per inch than fiberglass. I wish FWC would have used it on my camper. Keep posting, I love the pic.s

Bobva,
I used a sanded birch hardwood ply and then generously used a quality exterior paint. I looked into lots of options from maine grade to specialty stuff with vinyl coatings and this made the most sence to me.

I figure if that particle board lasted over 20 years then this stuff will probably out last the camper.

Thanks for all positive input from everyone. I'm working on the floor now and I'll have some pics soon.

s.

Marine plywood would likely be a waste of money; reportedly the same glues as any exterior plywood and the real difference is there are no internal voids whatsoever and I think a limit on the size of plugs.

Progress report, I put in the floor and I think it looks great. It took exactly 1 package for the entire floor. I plan on using some quarter round for the exposed edges and haven't decided yet on securing it.

floor install.jpg

All done
floor finished.jpg

Ready for camping (well, all most):D
ready for camping.jpg

as always there is alot more to come.

Have a great day all

S.

sev 3en

lookin good!!!!!!!!!!!:) keep up the good work. An of course keep us posted

Sev3en,
Wow, great work on the camper!

Almost makes me want to go out and buy the old FWC Fleet that is for sale, cheap, here in Denver ;) Looks like a fun project - although my wife would probably kill me if I did :D

Best of luck to you.

Hey, I was gonna say "looking good". Now what do I say? ;)

How about "livin large!"

Good work there sev3en!

Hello sev3en

Just wanted to give you a shout out to say GOOD JOB !

The camper looks excellent so far. Top notch work.

Also a big thanks for the details pictures on how to replace the cab-over bed board. I think this will be a hugh benefit for people on the forum with the older campers.

Keep up the good work !

awesome thread. i'm going to keep checking up on your progress :D

Back
Top Bottom