Fly Fishing Oregon & Idaho Wilderness - August 2023

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Best burgers ever… :p made even better by the Montana seasoning. :rolleyes:

Apologies to the Canadian members, Montana just sounds like something perfect for those “hamburgers. Montreal doesn’t quite set the theme.

Thanks Monte.Nice looking Bullhead.I tried fishing for them at Glacier NP
while camping at Bowman Lk. Had been told the lake is full of them.No luck though.
Your 3 short puzzles are interesting.Hope you solve them for us.
Frank

Maybe puzzle 3,the rude girls.
Perhaps they are vegetarians and their rude gesture was their way of
saying yuck to your choice of food groups.
No excuse for rude and bad behavior.
Maybe their parents never taught them any respect/manors.

There's a lot of that going around these days.
Frank

I reckon they were 3 young modern women who did not cotton to some random olds commenting about their behavior. After all, we over 60 or 70 year folks are likely completely out of touch.

Looking forward to your Idaho segment... my old stomping grounds.

Those were some nice burgers Sage grilled up for y'all.

Beautiful photos and story as always. Never caught a bull trout before, so one more for the bucket list. 15" trout is no small fry, nice work! Thanks for sharing the adventure.

nice TR ! and great to see some rain up there. i sold my atc, and pickup a used sprinter camper van tomorrow. first outing will be on thurs.... was thinking of hat point... but we like indian crossing, and the country up there.
go

The aster might be showy fleabane / aspen fleabane, grows up to 40 inches tall and is found in NE Oregon. The petals look similar to your picture, but there are a lot of asters.

I enjoyed part one, and am looking forward to where part two brings you to in Idaho, as that is where we are now hanging our hat when it's not hanging in the camper.

White flower looks like Mountain Deathcamas - Anticlea elegans (formerly known as Zigadenus elegans.) Look but don't eat!

The yellow flower may be Pteronia, one of the numerous members of the Asteraceae family.

Great hikes and fishing!

The first white flower in question, my guess is mountain death camas - Anticlea elegans
I don't have a guess at the second (yellow) one.

For technical fly fishing, or any day fly fishing for that matter, you did great, and with the views and the water, I'd say it can't be beat. Thanks for taking us along!

You may be interested to review a University of Montana master's thesis and accompanying maps/plates entitled: "The geology and tectonic history of the Fourth of July Creek area, White Cloud Peaks, Custer County, Idaho", by Robert M Sengebush, 1984. The non color map (Plate 1) is pretty hard to read in the U of M's ScholarWorks PDF format, but it appears Sengebush has a thrust fault contact between two Paleozoic units, one including clastic rocks and gray limestones of Mississippian age (Salmon River sequence), running pretty much through Phyllis Lake and up the mountainside to the south. To the north of the lake, he's got the White Cloud Stock in contact with the Salmon River sequence. The fault is itself folded by subsequent compressional tectonic activity. If you look closely at the Ivory Peak picture, it looks like some folded bedding surfaces are truncated within the light buff rocks and the longer distance "evening view" picture shows a sharply differing lithology on the right which may be the "Pole Creek Formation" of Pennsylvanian-Permian age. My armchair guess is that the truncated bedding surfaces within the first picture are from minor intraformational faults within the Salmon River sequence and that the sharper lithologic change in the latter picture shows the thrust fault separating Salmon River sequence from Pole Creek Formation. Sengebush's work makes no mention of mineralization such as Elmer's mine, but his map shows the White Cloud Stock, a granitic intrusion of Cretaceous age, butting up against Phyllis Lake from the east, and a significant portion of metallic mineral deposits throughout the Rockies are found where these Cretaceous intrusives came into contact with older sedimentary rocks, particularly limestones. The Ivory Peak picture shows a series of veins cutting across bedding and not folded in the fashion that the bedding is folded, therefore younger than the folding. The veins are truncated to the right along one of the intraformational faults, perhaps indicative of continued brittle faulting following emplacement of the White Cloud Stock, from which the veins likely originated.
There is one heck of a lot going on in those two photos, Mr. Ski, whether my guesses are correct or not!

i've not been into Phyllis but spent a bit of time in Chamberlain before it became a Nat. Monument. We actually have a friend who was instrumental in getting that done, met with Obama when the document was signed (got a pen, etc. too).

What a spectacular setting, and to have it mostly to yourself. Judging from those tailing piles, Elmer was pretty ambitious. Do you ever eat any of the fish you catch??

Back
Top Bottom