Fold down step sheared in half: VERY dangerous

Timothy McGowen said:
Is it just me or is there an obvious generational gap in this thread?

"Gnarly" and "Super sketch!"

Personally, I had a little bit of a flashback when I saw gnarly.

:)
Jiminy crickets!!

Timothy McGowen said:
Is it just me or is there an obvious generational gap in this thread?

"Gnarly" and "Super sketch!"

Personally, I had a little bit of a flashback when I saw gnarly.

:)
Looks like its just you. :D

Was the cause of the step failure ever determined? I believe the broken step was to be sent to FWC for evaluation.

Phil

I'm not sure about the max load ratings but I would think that if they are designed for the foot, they would be sufficient unless your feet themselves are overloaded :p.
The holes match up perfectly with OEMs and the holes are a camel hair smaller. The overall thickness of the part is a bit thinner .... but being stainless steel, I would think the same thickness isnt needed anyway.
They are highly polished and other than being a little thinner in construction, they tilt down about 5 degrees when in down position.
I recommend the changes .... especially when I can vision torn muscle/tendons hanging out of my calves otherwise.

Our campers are made to enjoy the outdoors .... not cause for life flight while out there.

Attachments

• FWC step 1.jpg
    FWC step 1.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 142
Again, I must be the odd-man out...one step breaks and the sky is falling, jeez...death and/or dismemberment to follow..is there anyone else with a broken step on a FWC?

Plus anyone who has climbed anything knows to not rely on a single point of contact..minimum two points of contact is the rule. The OP didn't fall or fillet his leg because he had a second point of support..since he seems to be a rock jock, that did help :D

Nothing wrong with replacing steps with the spiffy stainless steel ones....arguably they look better [don't like the downward angle when open....

One last time...why did the step break? Has there been any other steps on FWCs that broke?

Phil

Wallow ... why do you want to know why the one step broke so bad if you have faith in all of the others out there, including yours? :oops:

Bombsight said:
Wallow ... why do you want to know why the one step broke so bad if you have faith in all of the others out there, including yours? :oops:

It is always about probability. Nothing and I mean nothing is 100%. So what assumption of risk is an individual FWC owner willing to take? Think for a moment that there must be thousands of these steps that have been in use for some time and if only one has failed [nobody knows how many but we only have this one report] what is the real world probability that my step or your step might fail? Then overlay what is the consequence of such a failure if in fact a person is prudent and does not try to balance on one step [Can anyone really balance on one of these steps?] without another handhold in case you slip off the step or the step pulls out of the camper wall or the step breaks.

Look I am all about risk management and the follow up, assumption of risk. But like Henny Penny, one leaf, or in our case one failed step does not constitute a real threat or real probability of risk.

Why am I curious about why this single step failed? Just my analytical nature; 'why' [one of the 5 "Ws"] has always been the question I ask first. In the end I am pragmatic and refuse to run scared...that does not mean I will not run if I have to! :)

Enjoy those new steps you installed; they do look good. And if it brings you peace of mind, so much the better.

Phil

I'm also curious if there has been any determination on why the step failed. I have inspected mine and see no obvious flaws but it would be interesting to know if this is a systemic problem or an isolated incident.

Is there still no info from the mfr as to why/how the step sheared in such a gruesome manner? Inquiring minds do in fact want to know, so hoping the OP will weigh-in on this soon...
Rico

4-month bump on this topic... Has any additional intel been gleaned from the step manufacturer or FWC as to why the step sheared in such an extreme manner? Thanks,
Rico.

If nothing else comes from this thread, people that read have probably safety checked their steps..
I do believe Ron has the correct assumtion.

Mickey

Mickey Bitsko said:
If nothing else comes from this thread, people that read have probably safety checked their steps..
I do believe Ron has the correct assumtion.

Mickey
Thats a good thing. ... but if it's a casting flaw or the corrosion started from within, it will be hard to detect prior to.

If you are very concerned about defects in the fold down steps, look for dye penetrant inspection kits. Three quick find links below:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dye_penetrant_inspection
http://www.esabna.com/us/en/education/blog/surface-crack-detection-of-welds.cfm
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=1207

Paul
ps. My wife wasn't concerned with a step breaking but with my slipping off the step or losing my grip & falling. Our solution was to buy one if the telescoping ladders from Camping World. They were on sale last month & is much safer than the folding steps.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/10-5-foot-telescoping-extension-ladder/69450

I read this tonight and it scared the hell out of me that's for sure. I have the same steps which came with my Fleet. I have only folded them down and have not put any weight on them yet. I have only used a step ladder to get to the roof to clean my solar and the top. I agree with others that the picture certainly doesn't look like the metal is solid and the color variation is quite different from the outer to the inner. It looks to me (and a friend I showed this to) that the center is pot-metal and then the aluminum is casted over it. If you look closely, the rust color is surrounded by the aluminum. I doubt that a crack could make it rust like that. But I am no metallurgist. I would think the factory guys will not be happy with their supplier and now will want solid core units for the future. The liability could be scary if someone really gets hurt. Kifo, thank you so much for putting this up here, whether bad or not, safety is number one in my book. Be careful folks. I probably would have really "klutzed" and been hospitalized.

Back
Top Bottom