For those who have bolted your FWC down permanently

BSS

Contributors
How/where did you decide to affix, what kind of hardware did you use, and what kind of lessons learned / things you would have done differently? Pics would be AWESOME.

I mean, you only get one shot at it.....

That helps, thanks. I read that thread, but only made it to around page 7. Guess I should have stayed tuned.

Whats the difference between a bolt and a screw?.......Salty?????

Wow I feel like George Burns.

Well, a bolt is what we use to fix our broken boats, screwed, is pretty much what we are.

How/where did you decide to affix, what kind of hardware did you use, and what kind of lessons learned / things you would have done differently? Pics would be AWESOME.

I mean, you only get one shot at it.....

Make the holes so you have a clear shot at the hardware from the underside.

Use backing plates to spread the load out over a wider area. Just a washer on the inside is just waiting to punch through the camper floor.

Clamping force will prevent the camper to move. Turn buckles allow the camper to shift around and act like a live load pulling on the four buckles.

Bolting is not for everyone, weigh your options.

Here is a link
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1797

Thanks, pvstoy. My biggest frustration with my last rig was how hard it was on the truck and camper putting it on & off the truck all the time, and the force of the shifting load on the bedsides and tie down points. It's a LOT tougher on the equipment than most people realize.

I'll be mounting my new FWC permanently to a dedicated camping truck so I don't have those headaches this time around. I wonder if anyone has used the factory mount points for the bed (with longer bolts) and bolted straight through to the frame?

I'm in Gardnerville, BTW.

I'll be mounting my new FWC permanently to a dedicated camping truck so I don't have those headaches this time around. I wonder if anyone has used the factory mount points for the bed (with longer bolts) and bolted straight through to the frame?

I'm in Gardnerville, BTW.

Explain, my mind is not following.........

You can see my camper and truck in Carson City if you like. Bumper goes back on next week. then the For Sale sign hangs in the window.

Obviously it would depend on the type of truck/ how the bed is affixed to the frame, and where the factory bolts lie in relation to the floor of the camper...

but I mean like this:

F-150_BedBolts_Not_Sprayed_Black_Liner_Web_1.jpg

You selling the camper, truck, or both?

I see what you are saying now. (Pictures say a lot of words). Chances are that those bolts for the bed may not be in the spot that works best on the inside of the camper. I would lean toward leaving the bed bolts alone to keep the integrity solid and make new holes. But who knows it may work for your setup. Sure is a pretty new spray in liner you have there.:D

Selling both the camper and the truck. Will only sell the camper separate if the truck gets sold first. It is a matched pair.

Yeah, I know. I was just thinking about it a little. But that's not my truck, it's just a picture I found real quick. (I don't think any of my trucks have ever been that clean, actually.)

I'm interested in taking a look, but I imagine someone will probably buy the package from you. Gotta be a 3rz Gen 1 Tacoma for me.

Back
Top Bottom