Ford F250 DD Special Edition

When I was shopping for extra fuel capacity I looked into both Aerotanks and Transferflow. Search the Dodge diesel websites (TDR & DTR) for user opinions. This is a summary of what I found.
1. Aerotank is cheaper
2. Aerotank has about 5 gal more capacity
3. Aerotank uses lighter gauge steel
4. Aerotank mounting requires drilling the truck frame
5. Transferflow has better build quality
6. Transferflow is powder coated
7. Transferflow uses stock mounting points

In the end I went with Transferflow mainly because I didn't like the idea of drilling the truck frame. I shopped the internet and found it cheaper than the factory list and had it drop shipped from the factory. It took about a day for me to install and so far I've been happy with it. The only problem I've had is that it sometimes belches fuel before the pump shuts off.

Dick

Is there an obvious reason that nobody makes a larger OEM replacement tank for a gasser? Transferflow makes some for Fords, but for Dodge they are all for diesels. Same with Aero. Just wondering...

I think there's something to do with the DOT legalities of a "gas" tank vs "diesel". Probably similar to why noone makes a transfer tank for the bed of your truck that hauls gas but there are several companies that make them for diesel (you know the ones with the hand/electric pump and filler neck). That's my shot in the dark, but I think that's the reason why there are fewer choices.

Its that part about either having the spare hang down six inches lower or losing altogether that makes me wince. And that transferflow won't even attempt one.

Yeah, the challenge is that I can add (2) of these for $300, or an OEM replacement tank for $1500 or so... Couldn't justify the replacement very easily - I could, but I'd have to work at it a little...

alumfuel2.jpg

Needs a couple of Hellas on it.

I'm actually trying to mount a keg on it. Maybe I'll put the Hellas on the keg.

Nice bumper. Keg? I'm thinking hookah. Much lighter.

No running boards? I know a good paint guy you can call to paint the side of yer truck after yer first trip!

They aren't sporty but then again, neither are pick up trucks...

mtn

My last planned mod: Buckstop bumper:

Yeah, sure, whatever you say. A winch and some lights would look mighty fine in conjunction with the keg.

Lookin mighty stout.

gallery_2_1_67336.jpg

Do you really need all those lights, your truck is looking very nice

Attachments

• Captured 2005-2-10 00000 (Small).JPG
    Captured 2005-2-10 00000 (Small).JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 178
I assume it hugs the drivers rail though otherwise you'd have driveshaft interference. :confused:

Sorry I missed this before. You are right its just off center due to the driveshaft. As far as weight off center, an extra 20 gallons of fuel slightly off center isn't going to have as much effect as someone sitting in the passenger seat so not so worried about that. Plus I'm going to mount the bumper keg slightly to the other side.

I'm actually trying to mount a keg on it.

It will add a lot of mileage to your truck to drive down to SoCal every month to refill your keg with AB. Maybe you should just install a keg holder and have Stone Brewing ship them to you.

Maybe some like these

Yeah, exactly like that Marc and Bat.

Back
Top Bottom