Furnace/range combo: Wallas 800

TerraMar

I am thinking about upgrading my new (to me) Hawk and adding a built-in heat and cooking system. I have never seen anybody in the RV/ camper world use a dual fuel (diesel/ Kerosene) unit built by Wallas. The stove has a lid that folds down and a blower that heats the interior in the furnace mode. The distributer can be viewed on this site http://www.scanmarineusa.com/wallas_stoves.html This unit is seems to be a compact and clean solution to my needs. The only downsides I can see at this point, is another fuel to carry and the price $. They have two burner units that put out 2000 -6600 btus and the smaller single burner unit 2000- 4000 btus. They vent to the exterior making them much safer to use that some propane type (Mr. Buddy, etc). These units are very popular in the boating world (my other vice). I would appreciate any experienced input from some of our more tech minded band of merry campers. PS: I'm a newbie to this group and really appreciate the ability to research stuff here:).

Earthroamer uses diesel stove and heaters in their rigs as I recall. But they run it all off the main tank. The consensus here has been pretty much to stick to propane in the camper.
I can't recall if you drive a diesel or gasser. I'm a diesel nut so anything that runs on it peeks my interest.

great idea using wallas stove

That stove sounds great. I looked it up on the scanmarine website, they have 2 at a discounted price because of a repaired damage. They list it under the file called specials. I also have a Hawk. A '05 that has a furnace,couch,ect. I don't have the stove, fridge or sink. I loved the idea of having the extra storage and also I enjoy being out of the camper for cooking and eating. However, I did alot of winter camper last year and soon realized the advantages of having a choice in where I make my morning coffee and breakfast. It would be great to be able to be in the camper for cooking until the sun has melted the ice off of everything!! I'm trying to think of a design to fit between the furnace and front of camper,which would be where the stove and sink go. The sink is a no-brainer, the stove has to be vented some way, (any ideas?) The Wallas stove sounds great, where would you put the fuel tanks? They seem to have 2 designs. I'm also not sure about using diesel or kerosene. Does the diesel stink? Could I use the diesel that I fuel my truck with? Terri

Wallas:

It is my understanding the unit vents to the exterior as far as 36 inches from the stove (depending on model). The fuel is normally carried in a pint container under the sink. Fuel (both electrical and liquid) consumption is reported to be excellent. I am sure other fuel storage systems could be installed. My truck happens to be a gas powered 07 F150... so yes one more fuel to store/ carry. John

Maybe........maybe Not

Having about 40yrs experience with diesel stoves and heaters, I thought about a Wallas heater for my Granby, we have one in the wheelhouse of the big boat, along with a Dickison oil stove in the galley, used primarly for heat, as the galley is all electric. I see a couple of problems, how to feed it, not sure about the unit your talking about, but my heater and stove are gravity feed from a day tank. that might be a problem in a popup camper. With diesel there is always going to be some odor, something I've gotten used to. Also they are much slower to respond to temp. control than propane. In the end I went for propane power in the camper.

If you are looking at doing some long term exploration and have a diesel truck and tied the camper to the trucks' fuel system, it might make sense.

But the KISS method usually works best.

The propane system is pretty simple and very reliable.

I think boat manufacturers are more inclined to use diesel on boats for the fire hazards. If you blow up your boat and jump ship, you might end up drowning.

If you have a fire in the camper, you can just hop outside and still be safe.

No need to make it any more complicated than it needs to be.

Having a diesel truck i thought about it but theres just no way I can justify the extra cost. Maybe if i was doing some serious long expeditions but not for what I do now.

Pictured herewith is a Primus kerosene stove used on our circumnavigation in our sailboat over a period of two years. This stove is nearly 40 years old and works as new. This is a Primus made in Sweden. People use these stoves for cooking in cold rural areas like Sweden, on expeditions, mountaineering, aboard boats, and in high latitudes. Probably, every Arctic and Antarctic explorer has used one of these. When in use on a sailboat, it is mounted in gimbals. It has fiddles to keep the pots on the stove in rough weather.

I don’t know if I would be classified as an expert on the subject, other than having cooked with this kerosene stove for two years. Here are some observations; 1) Primus kerosene stoves do not use much fuel. A tank of fuel will last weeks. 2) Kerosene stoves are HOT and will cook quickly. 3) Primus kerosene stoves are difficult to light. It takes experience to light one without smoking up the overhead.

It is my opinion, for the average person camping in the Western United States, propane is much more convenient. A kerosene or diesel stove is overkill for the kind of camping we do with FWC/ATCs inside the United States, Canada, and Alaska.

Attachments

• Primus Stove Front.JPG
    Primus Stove Front.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 669
  • Primus Stove rear and tank.JPG
    Primus Stove rear and tank.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 652
  • Primus Stove origin.JPG
    Primus Stove origin.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 641
Stan, thanks for responding, I remember how helpful you were in '05 when I bought the camper. What in the world is the Kiss method? I don't want to sound like a stupid women, but........ I do need a stove for inside the camper. I liked the idea of the blower heater because when the couch is folded out it seems a bit dangerous to run the furnace because the vent is very close to the underside of the couch! Any ideas? Do you know of a propane stove that is also a heater? Thanks, Terri

TT
There used to be another female poster, she may still be lurking out there.
I think we posted our last comments at the exact same time.

Thanks to Stan and all others with their input! I am a firm believer in the “keepItSimpleStupid” whenever practical, just so long as it does not get in the way of my love for tech:D! … With respect to diesel odor, the units prefer to run on Kerosene and the mfr. recommends “Kleenfuel” available at Wally world or K mart. When these units are installed correctly, adequate combustion air and exhaust they are reportedly odorless. There is a lot of information on this site http://www.c-brats.com they come “stock” on some cruiser type boats. The output is variable to a degree; a low of 2000 btus should about right in most conditions given the size of a FWC.
There was also some concern about fuel storage location. The units I have seen have a small, about a pint size clear bottle mounted in the cabinet below the unit. Apparently the stove/ furnace has the ability to draw the fuel up, so long as the unit is primed. Carrying a quart or so of Kerosene seems pretty easy.
There have been some complaints about the complexity of the engineering of unit (cannot be fixed with baling wire and a rock) and when using the unit for cooking only there is a tendency for the space to warm up, The unit has a shut down sequence that is slow … not good in July.
My Hawk is a basic model with no provisions for a propane tank. I have been to FWC in Woodland and looked at the installation of these units… very cool. The cost of retro-fitting a horizontal propane tank, side access, housing, regulator, hoses, tank is significant:eek:. If I was thinking about adding hot water and a 3way fridge, the dollars and simplicity would indeed tilt toward the propane. My only desire is to heat the interior and be able to make my coffee in relative comfort. Keep those comments coming, still sorting it out :rolleyes: John AKA:Turf&Surf

amazing!

KISS = Keep it simple sister...

I believe you may be our only female member....er um, contributor, I mean poster...well you know what I mean.

Welcome aboard!!

TT

Is that really true, I'm the only female member, testosterone is a great thing, but this might be a little too much! Thanks for the information on KISS, this sister will try to keep it simple, and not drive all of you nuts with my questions. Thanks again for the info. Terri

I'll try to keep this one simple!

Thanks to Stan and all others with their input! I am a firm believer in the “keepItSimpleStupid” whenever practical, just so long as it does not get in the way of my love for tech:D! … With respect to diesel odor, the units prefer to run on Kerosene and the mfr. recommends “Kleenfuel” available at Wally world or K mart. When these units are installed correctly, adequate combustion air and exhaust they are reportedly odorless. There is a lot of information on this site http://www.c-brats.com they come “stock” on some cruiser type boats. The output is variable to a degree; a low of 2000 btus should about right in most conditions given the size of a FWC.
There was also some concern about fuel storage location. The units I have seen have a small, about a pint size clear bottle mounted in the cabinet below the unit. Apparently the stove/ furnace has the ability to draw the fuel up, so long as the unit is primed. Carrying a quart or so of Kerosene seems pretty easy.
There have been some complaints about the complexity of the engineering of unit (cannot be fixed with baling wire and a rock) and when using the unit for cooking only there is a tendency for the space to warm up, The unit has a shut down sequence that is slow … not good in July.
My Hawk is a basic model with no provisions for a propane tank. I have been to FWC in Woodland and looked at the installation of these units… very cool. The cost of retro-fitting a horizontal propane tank, side access, housing, regulator, hoses, tank is significant:eek:. If I was thinking about adding hot water and a 3way fridge, the dollars and simplicity would indeed tilt toward the propane. My only desire is to heat the interior and be able to make my coffee in relative comfort. Keep those comments coming, still sorting it out :rolleyes: John AKA:Turf&Surf

It's a great idea to have a 3way fridge, my experience with the different units I'v had over the years has been sweet and sour. The amount of room the unit takes up is big compared to the amount of food or drink storage that you get in return. When in 12volt mode it can be a huge drain on the battery system, the propane works pretty good on level ground (I have always wondered how much propane the fridge used? Does anybody know? And for the electric plug in, well, I leave that idea behind when I leave for my trip, where ever I'm off to. The hot water is a great idea, I like the instant system that I got from Stan at FWC. It's great for bathing,ect. I got it in '05, I'm sure it's been upgraded by now to be even better. I have a question about the spot lights in the back of my camper, has anyone put a switch in the cab of the truck? When arriving late at night, and trying to navigate my way into the campsite, it would be great to not have to get out and have to turn them on from the camper, any ideas?

I'll try to keep this one simple!

It's a great idea to have a 3way fridge, my experience with the different units I'v had over the years has been sweet and sour. The amount of room the unit takes up is big compared to the amount of food or drink storage that you get in return. When in 12volt mode it can be a huge drain on the battery system, the propane works pretty good on level ground (I have always wondered how much propane the fridge used? Does anybody know? And for the electric plug in, well, I leave that idea behind when I leave for my trip, where ever I'm off to. The hot water is a great idea, I like the instant system that I got from Stan at FWC. It's great for bathing,ect. I got it in '05, I'm sure it's been upgraded by now to be even better. I have a question about the spot lights in the back of my camper, has anyone put a switch in the cab of the truck? When arriving late at night, and trying to navigate my way into the campsite, it would be great to not have to get out and have to turn them on from the camper, any ideas? ok, ok, this was a little lengthy, have patience with me! Terri

where's that other female poster?

TT
There used to be another female poster, she may still be lurking out there.
I think we posted our last comments at the exact same time.

Do you remember when this other female poster was posting? I'm a bit confused with how it all works on the website. Is the FWC forum the same as the threads to Wander The West? My guess is it's all connected. Thanks, Terri

The only good reason for wanting a kerosene stove in a FWC is because the owner is Amish. They are not allowed to use propane for religious reasons.

Do you remember when this other female poster was posting? I'm a bit confused with how it all works on the website. Is the FWC forum the same as the threads to Wander The West? My guess is it's all connected. Thanks, Terri

First sorry if this turn into a high-jack:(
Terri, looking at the member list that is now at 550, wow have we grown, there appear to be several female canidates (I grew up in Santa Cruz so I don't assume) but most new posters are pretty quite.

T-mar, if you don't currently have propane then I say use what ever the heck you want:thumb:
However there are many great propane accessories out there. The only time I don't like bulk propane is when weight is an issue but with a camper that isn't really the case. I put an extra outlet on my system for out side use of stoves and lights.

You Never Know What...........

The only good reason for wanting a kerosene stove in a FWC is because the owner is Amish. They are not allowed to use propane for religious reasons.

You're going to learn at this site, I find some of this stuff amazing.

Back
Top Bottom