FWC Arctic liner

Dgw2

Read here I should leave my Arctic liner up, even in hot weather. Put it up today & no rings on liner to attach bungee cords to, to pull liner in when collapsing roof. How do you all do it?? Looking forward to a trip to Yellow Stone & down to Utah soon. So leaving it up full time would surly simplify the proses. Thank you in advance.

The existing D-rings on the vinyl windows go through small slits on the Arctic liner and then the bungees attach as they did before the liner was installed.

pvstoy. Thank you for the info. So the artic liner windows open from the bottom? The opposite of the vinal sides. If so I put mine on upside down. Thank you. Learning all the time. Been doing it wrong for 3yrs now. Your article, very informative. Thank you again to all.

Actually, only on ATC's arctic pack do they open from the bottom. For FWC, they open from the top. So you have it installed correctly. Google Four Wheel Camper Arctic Pack and you will find a youtube video where Tom talks about the liner and arctic pack and demonstrates the windows in the arctic pack.

When I typed this up I had a 2002 FWC Ranger and the arctic pack opened from the bottom. It had 2 Velcro tabs to attach the rolled up window. Have not looked at the FWC 2015 Hawk to see of this has been changed. (Hi Ted!)

Camper001.jpg

Teds reference to Tom u-tube was correct. It was published December 2011 and the windows opened from the top. Where as my 2002 was from the bottom. Since ATC is making similar from the early 2000 it would make sense that theirs would might still open from the bottom.

I also noted that in the December 2011 video that there was not the button holes made in the arctic pack for the bungees to attach but my 2015 Hawk does have them sewed into the pack. Don't know what year FWC started sewing in the hole.

Mine is for a 2003 Eagle & has the sewn on Velcro tabs, so I guess it opens from the bottom. But no slots for the D rings to enter through
So guess I'll try, as recommended, & cut slits in it. This was purchased new with camper by original owner in 03, but never used till I purchased it in 2015. Does make a world of difference on cold nights & never thought of leaving it up full time till it was mentioned on this site. I use the camper a lot from April to November, 30 to 50 nights a yr. So this will save me a lot of hassle & time. Thank you all for your help & recommendations.

One of the nice things I noticed about the thermal liner on our first really cold night (15 degrees) was that the condensation of frost was behind the thermal fabric. You still need to make sure the camper interior dries out but its not right there on the wall.

I have the thermal pack on my 2016 Fleet (it came as a part of a shell package) and have appreciated it in colder weather. It somewhat makes sense to reap its benefits in the hot weather as any insulation is meant to reduce heat transfer. Theory aside though, I really wonder if it makes that much difference in the summer months. I find the extra layer a bit of a hassle when lowering and tucking in the liner each time. When I take it off, the lowering and raising process seems easier.

So does anyone have real life empirical/anecdotal evidence that the thermal layer helps keep the camper cooler in the summer? I'm about to head out West and will be in NM, CO, UT, CA in April-July.

I have had my liner in since 2014. I can honestly say that if it provides any help in the summer I have never felt it. I don't want to mess with taking it in and out. I also don't want to mess with storing it in the summer. So I leave mine in full time. I don't have any trouble closing up shop with it in. I also don't have any trouble with latching the top down.

At the 2017 Overland West event in Flagstaff, I met an FWC owner who said the arctic liner works much better if you slide pre-cut sheets of reflectix between the vinyl walls & the liner. This is most practical time wise, I assume, when planning to camp several days without moving locations.

I use mine installed full time too. Here in TX it can get hot ;) I even added vent covers made of same material. The sun shining through even tinted covers was immense. So adding the material covers not only created shade on bed and kitchen but did cool it off. I can only imagine that the liner insulates the rest of camper from heat too.

ventmod.jpg

BillTheHiker said:
Have you had any difficulty closing the roof latches when the arctic liner is attached?

No...liner in place full time...just follow FWC advice and fold in corners when lowering......'16 Hawk.

Back
Top Bottom