FWC Hawk or Hawk shell

bnf3

New user. I am ready to order a FWC Hawk for my 2006 Tundra double cab 4x4. I am off road a fair amount in the desert. Having a hard time deciding whether to order shell (with many options) or full Hawk model. I am leaning toward shell because of extra storage space. I do not think I would use refrigerator, stove or furnace very much. Yet, there might be some nights when I wished I had a furnace. But it is always that way with extra things - you can end up with a lot of stuff you rarely use. I'd appreciate any opinions.

Since I didn't have the skills or tools to modify a shell, I went with a loaded Grandby. You could always plum a gas line in and have a Buddy Heater. In the summer leave it at home. Since we use the stove, fridge, and the furnace, I couldn't comment on whether you should include those or not. It maybe easier for FWC to install some of the things where you have outside covers so you don't have to cut through the skin. Personally I couldn't see us not having those 3 things. We have the 80 2-way compressor fridge. In the beginning we were going to order the self contained, but at the time of the order pulled the inside shower and cassette toilet. I had FWC leave the doors off the large rear cabinet. I cut 14" off the cabinet base plate, caulked the screw holes and we slide a portta potti into that space and have a curtain. We also have the front dinette which we love. Good luck. What ever you decide will provide you with years of fun. jd

The hard part is deciding what YOU want, not what others have. Note that if you buy a shell and want to do a full build out the frames are different. This is where the heater vent, water fill, elec plug etc are located. Be sure to see the build thread.

Like anything your doing it depends on your application. If your sitting parked for days on end and you like to cook - buy the regular model. If your a nomad like us and move every day or two and don't want the cooking food odors jnside buy the shell and cook outside.

The advantage of the shell is having the option of only adding what you need. Camping out of tents, truck shells, Flip-Pac (see my gallery pics) trained us to only bring what we need. The Hawk is not a Lance cab over camper. We didn't buy another one of those because we don't do RV style asphalt camping anymore and driving over wash board roads over 5 miles an hour will have it coming apart. Which is the reason we didn't buy a miniaturized (Regular FWC) version of it. Shell works great.

Removing the camping gear gives you a large covered secure area to carry other stuff. We use ours to carry the model airplanes, wood for projects, garden plants, mulch, etc. Bolted on permanently we save on storage costs

As you may have read in my modest build you will save about $6,500 between the two if you add most of the options to the shell plus save about 350 pounds in dry weight. We have never missed the built-in water system, and only basic cook in it when it is raining or the desert wind is blowing 20 miles an hour or higher. Outside is our kitchen and living room.

We modeled the inside after the roll-over couch option with sink and counter on the drivers side and "gaucho" couch on passenger side. We gain the extra storage by not having the water tank, hot water heater, plumbing hoses and faucet, and regular refrigerator. We added the portable top loader compressor Engle fridge 9 months after buying the shell.

We use a Mister Heater portable catalytic when its really cold and just the one burner Coleman to take the chill off in the morning.

I have a ATC Panther I bought used that came with heater stove sink and fridge. I ditched the 3 way and have a Engel in the truck cab rarely use the stove, sink, or fan. If I have it to do again I would get a Bobcat shell with a furnace and couch and call it good.

It has been my experience that the time I spend in the camper is mostly for sleeping. I think of it a glorified tent.

Dsrtrat

You left a couple of unknowns:
Do you have the space, tools, and aptitude for building with wood? Would you be happy with what you build?

I went with a shell for specific reasons: I wanted my bed down, didn't want to crawl up and down 3 or 4 times a night for nature calls. I wanted to try cabinetmaking, I had worked with metal and plastics my whole career but had never done any serious woodworking. I didn't want to be constantly moving stuff around, so I maximized storage space. I use a backpacking stove to boil water in camper, do all serious cooking outside. Use a small plastic tub for a sink. I use a Mr. Buddy heater with 1# propane canister for heat, carry my water in 1 gallon jugs. I want my beer cold, so I have a compressor frig.

Determine how you plan on using your camper and work backwards. Money, time, skill level, special needs all figure into it.

jim

Thanks for all your help. I am more minimalist but didn't want to close off any options which might be important. I see that I can get an ice chest that can run off the battery, and a catalytic converter so those areas would be covered when I need them. I prefer having the kitchen outside. So, that covers the appliances. Will order the roll out couch, maybe the table, second battery, 12V outlet and pretty much good to go. I plan to take the jacks off and leave the camper on the truck.
It was helpful to start to think about it in terms of two extremes - from basically a tent to fully self contained.

Now that the great Wander the West has spoken there are a couple of things that you might want to consider. You stated " I am off road a fair amount in the desert". I suggest 2 AGM batteries and 100w solar on the roof with a solar plug on the back wall or roof for additional solar. I would also consider the 8' awning and maybe the rear awning. If you are going to cook outside having the awning in case of rain would be a good consideration. jd

bnf3 has described himself as a minimalist and desert-lover, and I resemble that remark so here's my 2 cents fwiw. My wife and I (desert rats, retired) went for the Grandby shell with a few simple add-ins: a single AGM camper battery with ibs-dbr linkup, a little SportCat heater, an old-school dual-burner white gas stove, block-ice Igloo cooler, Thetford portapotty, simple outdoor pump shower/shelter config, etc....sans solar, sans awning, sans a lot of the available accessories... >200 days/nights enjoyed with our FWC in 3 years of having it. As you've guessed, we subscribe to the 'light is right' philosophy, wherein our FWC has proven to be a quantum leap in comfort from our previous tent-camping, without sacrificing much from the essence of a camping experience. I'd recommend bnf3 initially limit his spec'd accessories to those that can be solidly justified for the short and long term, and then let experience with the camper over time dictate what other add-ons may eventually be needed.

Well, you guys are great. I live in Sacramento and like camping, riding my mtn bike in Death Valley, surrounding desert, eastern Sierras and White Mountains. I think I can comfortably go with the shell, and add a cooler and a little propane heater when needed. The awning might be tough to pass up, when I think about the summer though. Great idea!
I don't know much about electrical or solar yet. Will try to get a little better informed before I go to the dealer in about two weeks.
Very good to know, Rico V that you could spend so much time in camper without a lot of add ons.

Some where on the site is a thread on must have items for the camper. Top of the list was the heater. Really nice to get up and be warm. Also helps with resale.

That is a good point. I am semi retired, I know I like some warmth in the morning. I also know that I should stay away from any tools. Adding a furnace almost moves me back to thinking about the Hawk (not shell) and seeing if they could drop the refrig. and stove.
It will all settle down after a while. Will have to think more about how the wife and I are planning to use it, and then see what we need to add in.

Back
Top Bottom