FWC Hawk Sink Drain Corrosion

Bwht4x4

Has anyone seen this happen to their sink drain? I was in my Hawk (Dec of 2013 model) over the weekend and noticed the sink drain was corroding and had the chrome plating peeling up. I have an email into FWC to see what the issue is and how we can fix it.

Attachments

• 2015-06-27 14.06.13.jpg
    2015-06-27 14.06.13.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 177
Ohhhh,.. Yeaaaa. I keep an old toothbrush and swab some CLR around down there once in a while when I won't be using the sink for a while. That cleans it up.

Thanks Kispiox, but there's no cleaning this up. The chrome plating is peeling up and is pitted. Not sure what to do: replace or leave it. It's not my nature to leave something like this unrepaired.

An upstream connected topic,... The folding faucet for the flush mounted sink is styrene plastic at the spout. Over time the lower end upstream end of the spout splits at the base along the mold seam allowing water to bypass the o-ring. I have replaced mine several times. The only interim fix that I can come up with is to silicone the base. Over time the plastic flexes enough that this too begins to leak.

I have looked high and low for a substantial replacement but have found none. Anyone else?

Good to know. As for the drain, I'm hoping FWC comes through and offers to fix it under warranty since the camper is less than 18 months old.

Bwht4x4 said:
Thanks Kispiox, but there's no cleaning this up. The chrome plating is peeling up and is pitted. Not sure what to do: replace or leave it. It's not my nature to leave something like this unrepaired.
Most of it comes off after multiple applications of the CLR. Some pitting is still there on mine but it al least looks sanitary. The chrome is a problem. These parts (faucet too) are not very substantial. I have also thought about going in there with a dremmel to smooth out the remaining pitting but just decided to keep up with my CLR regiment for a while. Obviously taking it apart and soaking would be more thorough. Mine was so corroded I'm afraid it won't come apart, not without risking breaking it.

If the chrome is important you are looking at replacement for sure.

I wonder if there's a stainless or brass model that will fit this that way I can do away with the chrome all together.

I haven't looked but there is more than probably one out there. In defense of FWC, they try and make these campers as lite as possible. Ounces and grams add up. These components are probably fine for the average user. Let me know the spec and source if you find it. Have you the same issue with the flush folding faucet?

Duahhh,.. Just thought of something I'll try tonight. I'm going to put the outside drain cap on and fill it up to the sink with CLR. I'm going to do it early in the evening and check it to make certain there are no leaks on my truck paint. That ought to be the ticket.

The last time I used the camper and cooked in it was on a tule elk hunt here in CA this past December. We cooked a lot of elk chili on that hunt. Maybe the corrosion is due to the gas clouds created after a few days of that chili!!

Okay, so I put a little extension on the outside so it wouldn't drain onto my truck paint and capped it off. Then I filled the drain full of CLR and left it for about four hours. I don't have any good news. It did clean it up some so it at least looks sanitary but the lower ledge of the drain just above the cross is very badly pitted and the chrome is no longer. I am going to look for a marine version that is made to deal with salt water. There should be one. The next time I go by a marine chandlery I'll investigate.

I'm certain the Elk Chilli was great, but I wouldn't blame your drain on it. That particular part wants to be stainless, brass or a more noble metal in that environment. The replacement is probably cheap enough to change out every six months if need be. The faucet is a bigger peeve for me.

When I find a solution for either/or will post, please do the same.

I've replaced mine before. Pretty easy job just like a home one although I had a difficult time getting the pipe off on mine but it had been on for 13 years or so.

On my 2006 Hawk I had to replace the entire sink due to corrosion. I had left wet items there after a trip and failed to clean up and air out enough.

Appears the metal reacted to something that went down the drain. Undiluted citrus based cleaners can easily destroy and flake chrome finished metals.

I only clean cooking pots, utensils and plates with Dawn or Bar Keepers Friend (liquid). Neither will react with the sink, drain or plumbing.

Not hurting anything other than looks.

The only thing in my camper that I use for cleaning is Dawn liquid detergent. I can't imagine that would do it.

Anyone know what size the sink drain is? Is it some odd-ball size or is it a standard size that I can find easily?

Thanks

What did FWC have to say?

Why not just put the drain plug in the hole and call it a day. It looks like it will still seal and hold water just fine and you'll never see the pitting. Even if FWC replaced it with another $6 part it's still a cheap part. Your labor in changing it for another cheap part, that will likely look the same in a year, makes it not worth changing out.

I have a 2013 Hawk as well and the drain plug is difficult to grip. The plug comes up to a little point, instead of being shaped like a knob. Pretty tough to grip with wet fingers. I'd change it out in a heartbeat if I had to.

The drain and plug Bill linked to looks like a quality part.

Back
Top Bottom