FWC mattress update

Thanks, great info. As we age it gets harder and harder to sleep so anything that helps is very useful. I live in a 55 and over park and when I leave for work at 3am I'm always amazed at the number of lights I see on by the retired folk. Unfortunately most of us spend ten minutes picking out a new mattress. There has to be a better way. I think I like a soft mattress but do I? Would I sleep better on a firm mattresss? We spend a third of our lives sleeping, got to be a better way.

Rereading this for homework purposes.
my new 2017 fleet mattress pads are too firm.
I tried using an one of our old Costco 2" memory foam topper, but it didn't seem to help much.
it felt like it just compressed to quickly/easily and I was right back to being on the too firm factory mattress pads.

As a test I put some carpet pad over the memory foam topper, and that actually works pretty well to distribute the weight better, but now it's all to tall to close the roof.

So I am now exploring alternatives.

I am thinking about piercing a bunch of small holes in the factory mattress pads to try and reduce the firmness by allowing it to compress more easily?

Anyone have any new info on this subject?

Wow, I didn't realize how many were having mattress problems. Not to sound smug but my Palomino came with a 4" Serta innerspring and it is amazing. Better than my mattress at home. I sleep best when I'm in my camper.

Otto: As a desert rat in a mostly warmish climate, my ongoing favorable experience using latex mattress foam is apparently 180 vs. your experience in the cool Canadian north. So I guess it behooves the buyer to beware of that before taking a leap on latex. Thanks for the alert on latex shortcomings in cold temps.
Rico.

RicoV said:
Otto: As a desert rat in a mostly warmish climate, my ongoing favorable experience using latex mattress foam is apparently 180 vs. your experience in the cool Canadian north. So I guess it behooves the buyer to beware of that before taking a leap on latex. Thanks for the alert on latex shortcomings in cold temps.
Rico.
latex is very bad for cold weather, it takes a very long time to “unfreeze” or warm up

Our latex (talalay/dunlop mix) has been down to 25 deg F on several occasions, without noticeable performance issues. I think this is a case of YMMV, and we just haven't seen any problem with ours (yet). But I'll defer to the rest of you on this and acknowledge that latex might not be a great choice for our campers after all.
Rico

RicoV said:
Our latex (talalay/dunlop mix) has been down to 25 deg F on several occasions, without noticeable performance issues. I think this is a case of YMMV, and we just haven't seen any problem with ours (yet). But I'll defer to the rest of you on this and acknowledge that latex might not be a great choice for our campers after all.
Rico
maybe not all latex is the same???

Memory foam is definitely terrible in cold weather as it takes a loooooong time to warm up and get soft. Maybe we are confusing latex and memory foam? As I understand it they are different materials.

Yep, a latex mattress doesn't exhibit near the cold performance downside of a tempur-pedic or its ilk. So is it OK for me to go back to hyping latex again? Heh heh... (don't worry, I won't)
Rico

RicoV said:
Yep, a latex mattress doesn't exhibit near the cold performance downside of a tempur-pedic or its ilk. So is it OK for me to go back to hyping latex again? Heh heh... (don't worry, I won't)
Rico
Tempur-pedic is made out of latex, or at least part of it is latex,and for camping I have found, as well as many others, that they really retain the cold, and don’t warm up very quickly, I know because I used a 2 inch latex mattress in the past, it was horrible, I’m so glad to have my foam back

Tempur-pedic is polyurethane based, according to all the Web intel I've come across. Also, I cannot find any mention of latex as an ingredient in Tempur-pedic memory foam anywhere on the Web. You say that you "and many others" have experienced cold retention -- have they posted their thoughts out on the Web? (I cannot find any hits there). Definitely, if you have evidence corroborating your belief about a latex component of memory foam(s), please point me to it. Short of that I'm not sure there's any point in discussing this further, as I believe latex is an entirely different material vs. Tempur-pedic or other memory-type foams. And in any event, I'm glad you've found an alternative foam that works well for you, so let's 'put this to bed'.
Rico

RicoV said:
Tempur-pedic is polyurethane based, according to all the Web intel I've come across. Also, I cannot find any mention of latex as an ingredient in Tempur-pedic memory foam anywhere on the Web. You say that you "and many others" have experienced cold retention -- have they posted their thoughts out on the Web? (I cannot find any hits there). Definitely, if you have evidence corroborating your belief about a latex component of memory foam(s), please point me to it. Short of that I'm not sure there's any point in discussing this further, as I believe latex is an entirely different material vs. Tempur-pedic or other memory-type foams. And in any event, I'm glad you've found an alternative foam that works well for you, so let's 'put this to bed'.
Rico
https://www.off-grid.net/memory-foam-cold-climates/amp/

I've been very polite and respectful in discussing this topic with you, and anyone following this thread will be able to discern that; I'm most certainly not argumentative. You've called into question the worthiness of latex as a mattress material in our campers, and I'm merely trying to determine why your results seem to vary so much from my own. I've asked you to please point me to Web documentation or other sources so I can get on board with the facts as you see them. The unsupported claims about apparent shortcomings of latex are puzzling, and could dissuade WTWers from consideration of latex as a quality product and a material they might want to have for their campers (which is the very subject of this forum topic).
Rico

Back
Top Bottom