FWC Ranger II

jordanball33

Purchased a FWC Ranger on a whim this weekend sight unseen and had it delivered to me by a friend. I just came home to check it out and had a few questions for you experts. (New to this forum by a few minutes, posted on another site then found wander the west)

I believe I've seen a few Ranger campers that have had the angle area on the back cut down. I would just need to cut a small bit down to clear the back of my f250 short bed. Looks like I also may have to raise the camper to clear the bedsides and possibly use some type of bracing on the rails as the camper would sit mid way of my rail. Or should it not touch the rail at all? I'm not sure on that.

Other than that I would need to be able to get the camper on and off in a reasonable amount of time as I also haul a 5th wheel with this truck?

Does any of this sound feasible or should I be looking for another camper? Starting to thing that's what I should do but would like input.

The Ranger II was made for the smaller mid sized trucks. We bought one for our Ford Ranger. I'd continue the search for a camper made to fit a short bed full size truck.

You can build a platform to clear the roof and side rails
I don't think you you want the camper resting on the rails. Depending how high you have to raise the camper, cross supports can be secured to the bottom of the camper. The other concern is your 5th wheel hub. Can you remove it so the Ranger can slide into the bed. You will need to install the eye bolts in the bed. As far as timing of part of the camper, I can't help you with. I wasn't clear with what you said. Have fun, pop-ups are a blast
jd

jordanball33 said:
Does any of this sound feasible or should I be looking for another camper?

jordanball33 said:
You say continue to search. But I have already purchased this one.
I was weighing in directly on your question in your first post and this is what I recommend. The Ranger II is a desirable camper for a smaller truck. It should resell easily.

ski3pin said:
I was weighing in directly on your question in your first post and this is what I recommend. The Ranger II is a desirable camper for a smaller truck. It should resell easily.
Thank you! I'm new to four wheel campers. I don't know how good of a resale I'll have, I'm on the east coast, but I'll consider it. I'm going to go ahead and start cleaning this one up and getting it into good shape and we will see where it goes from there.

ski3pin gave you the best advice. I have a Ranger II on a 1986 Toyota pickup. It is not a good fit for your vehicle.

cwd

jordanball33 said:
Thank you! I'm new to four wheel campers. I don't know how good of a resale I'll have, I'm on the east coast, but I'll consider it. I'm going to go ahead and start cleaning this one up and getting it into good shape and we will see where it goes from there.
Probably an easy resale, not many FWC on the east coast. But finding a replacement on the east coast could prove difficult. That said. I'd sell it and get one that fits, even if you need to drive half way across the country.

Back
Top Bottom