FWC Roof

WarpathEngineering

Hello,

Could someone explain to me how the roof is raised and kept in the upright position. I've been looking at the two photos on this site and am at a loss as to how it works. I know that most of the east coast manufacturers use a series of scissor bars with a hand crank. Is the roof on the FWC manual? I know that space is tight in these campers but detailed photos would go a long way. About how much room is there between the overhead mattress and the ceiling when it's up?

Thanks!
Rick in KY

Hello,

Could someone explain to me how the roof is raised and kept in the upright position. I've been looking at the two photos on this site and am at a loss as to how it works. I know that most of the east coast manufacturers use a series of scissor bars with a hand crank. Is the roof on the FWC manual? I know that space is tight in these campers but detailed photos would go a long way. About how much room is there between the overhead mattress and the ceiling when it's up?

Thanks!
Rick in KY

The roof you simply push up by hand. There is a panel on each end of the camper that is made with spring loaded hinges that snap into place when you push the top up. I know that without seeing it, it is probably a little hard to imagine. If you have any questions feel free to call us at 800-446-1003

Sincerely,
Ben Burnett
www.allterraincampers.com

The roof is raised manually. After releasing the tension clamps on the outside, hop in the back, on your knees at the rear of the camper. There is a cross brace in the ceiling. Put your shoulder under it and stand up. The front and rear panel are bi-folding. There is a top half and bottom half. When you stand up and push the rear wall up and back, spring hinges along the top and bottom, snap into place making a rigid wall. Then move to the front of the truck. There is another cross brace at this end. Shoulder underneath and stand up. There is a triangular bar that acts as a fulcrum of sorts to give you the leverage to snap the front wall up, over the cab/bed. A snap strap fastened to the ceiling at both ends holds the panels together and up right.

To collapse the camper, undo the snap straps. Pull the triangle brace to you and the bottom half of the wall folds in and the top half follows behind it. Same at the rear. As you pull the bottom half down, the top tucks in behind it. Sounds much more complicated than it is.

A few interior shots of mine -

Interior closed. See the two cross braces in the ceiling -
camper+010.jpg

This shot shows the rear raised, with the top and bottom locked in and fastened. The hinges along the top and bottom may help you get a better visual of how the walls collapse. Also shows the rear cross brace -
camper+022.jpg

With the rear raised, looking to the front of the truck. The rear cross brace is visible as is the triangular brace. The brace allows you to push the wall into place over the hard to reach bed -
camper+023.jpg

With the front wall snapped into place and the triangle brace secured to the ceiling by a snap strap. How much room from bed to ceiling? Maybe two feet. Enough to prop yourself up and read, but not enough to sit up at a 45 degree angle -
camper+024.jpg

Hey...A picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks, that explains a lot. For some reason I couldn't get my head around it. Question though. Is the 3 sided gold frame at the front and back lower panels there just to support the triangular raising rod? What's the roof made of, aluminum or fiberglass? Is it difficult to raise with a snow load on top?

Thanks...Rick

Is it difficult to raise with a snow load on top?

Yes! ANY weight on top makes raising the roof very difficult. However, If you have two people, one strong person to push up on the roof with both arms, and another to do the easy job of pushing the end panel in place, then it's doable.

I think the 3 sided gold frame is just for additional strength and rigidity. The triangle extension is just used at the front, to make the long reach over the bed easier.

I believe the roof is aluminum like the rest of the exterior. It's all "Armstrong engineering" when it comes to raising the roof. So if your arms are strong, it won't be too hard! The roof is rated to hold 1,000 lbs, whether that is snow or mountian bikes or a roof rack w/ additional gear. However, you are the one who has to lift it.

If camping in snow conditions, I would bring a broom or sno-rake to clear the top before lifting or closing it.

A few more interior shots -

How the rear looks when closed -
camper+017.jpg

With the bed closed, but showing the slide that supports the bed when opened -
02_13_06+photos+086.jpg

With the bed opened. I know not all models are like this, but this is mine -
camper+026.jpg

And the two cushions that make up my bed. Single stacked when closed, spread apart when opened. Fairly comfortable but you can't leave your bedroll out when closed or make coffee while laying in bed (the bed extension covers the stove when open, not on all models) -
camper+031.jpg

Back
Top Bottom