FWC title?

vegastoy

I've been a long time lurker (mostly watching the ongoing for sale thread) but just finally joined. I have a really quick question about a camper I am looking to purchase. Did/do FWC's come with any kind of title? The one in question is older probably mid 80's but the current owner has no title and said it never came with one. I did a quick google search but came up empty handed. Just wanted to verify this to be true or not.

If I end up purchasing this camper I will be starting a rebuild thread to keep track off all the efforts I've put in.

Titles for truck campers can vary be state.
I purchased a 2013 Grandby from a gentleman in Arizona and he did not have a title just a factory title that we used for the bill of sale too.
In Idaho I am required to register them and title the camper.
So my new Grandby has a title.

I would imagine most campers from the 1980's don't have titles but it would depend on the state.

A call to your state's DMV would answer the question for you.

Hey vegastoy,
A title would be something DMV issues, not the dealer. If it was never registered, then it would not have a title. Most do not license their FWC's and so it doesn't surprise me that there isn't a title.

FWC provides a "Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin" now. Not sure if they did that back in the 80's.

Since they re frequently not registered, there isn't a title for those that are not. I believe they do come with a certificate of origin, that you present to the DMV if you do register/license the camper. One as old as the camper you're looking at probably has never been licensed, and no longer has the certificate of origin.

Thanks for the reply. I did a little more google searching and on 2 different links found the same info you said about each state will vary. Both links said Nevada requires a title but no registration which is where I am at and California surprisingly does not require either which is where the camper is.

You guys are quick! Thanks for the help. Not sure what to do at this point. I know how hard it can be getting a title for something, been there done that. Not sure I want to travel down that road again.

If it doesn't require a registration nobody is going to care if it's titled because you won't need a plate. Buy it, mount it and have fun. [emoji1303]

DrJ said:
I purchased a 2013 Grandby from a gentleman in Arizona and he did not have a title just a factory title that we used for the bill of sale too.

I would imagine most campers from the 1980's don't have titles but it would depend on the state.

Um, I never titled mine and I'm in Idaho too. I guess I should call, but I thought they counted them as a camper shell since they are a pop up.

kmcintyre said:
Um, I never titled mine and I'm in Idaho too. I guess I should call, but I thought they counted them as a camper shell since they are a pop up.
Just looked it up. If it was purchased after Jan. 1, 2009 you are supposed to title it, otherwise it's optional. That's silly; optional?

If you're old like a lot of us, if the question comes up tell them you didn't know [play the old person card.. lol ] :rolleyes:

I appreciate all the input, I decided to pass on this one. It needed a lot of work and it was going to be a long drive. Not having a title and living in a state that apparently requires one was kind of the nail in the coffin for me. I'm going to make a call to my DMV today and try to get some more information. I will find one eventually...

Vegas,

FYI, I wouldn't worry about no title for a FWC in NV. I'm in Reno and have had my Eagle for 6 years now. Bought it new and it didn't come with a title. Since it's not a vehicle DMV has nothing to say about it, no documentation of any sort required that I can find.

this page is a few years old, so I'm not sure it's up to date, but they list the 10 states that require registration/title.

Search this forum on the need to register a pop-up camper in Oregon [long thread]....bottom line is you don't, notwithstanding the listing given above...all to do with construction dimensions and the add on features.

I see NV listed as requiring truck camper titles on several non-state web pages but can find no requirement for it at the dmvnv site. The only reference I found to truck campers at all is this:

Chassis-mount camper (NRS 482.0151): A portable unit designed to be permanently affixed to a truck chassis and cab, and so constructed as to provide temporary living quarters for travel, camping or recreational use.

This is from their guidance doc: http://www.nevadadmv.state.nv.us/pdfforms/regtitle.pdf

If anyone finds a reference to camper titles on an official state site I'd appreciate it if they posted it.

Thanks

If anyone from Washington State is wondering, you do have to register and title a FWC. Basically you pay tax on the camper then $50/year for tabs. Plate size is set by WSP. That being said you receive a large size plate. I tried to get a small plate but no go.

DrJ said:

Idaho is a funny state. If your camper is older than ??? you don't have to register it. I didn't register mine and I'm not sure a cop is going to stop you and ask you what year it is.... Mine's not registered or titled.

There are two issues with requiring a title. One is if your DMV requires it. In Oregon Four Wheel Campers do not meet the height requirements to be categorized as a camper to require that it be licensed and titled. In other states that may be different. The other thing is if your insurance company requires it to be titled to be insured. I have heard from one other person that some do but my insurance company does not so have no personal experience with the requirement. I do not know about your state requirements, but here in Oregon if you were looking for a used FWC for sale with a title (a few have titled in Oregon) you could well be looking for many many years to find one.

Back
Top Bottom