FWC window retrofit kit

Mark W. Ingalls

Contributors
Drawing from the original design of 32 years ago, the windows on the FWC pop-up liners have been re-designed & re-engineered to eliminate the exterior storm flaps, yet still retaining superior weather resistance. All sewing is done in-house, at our factory sewing shop in Woodland.

I am thinking about remodeling the (crappy) windows on my 2001 Hawk. I am pondering the possibility of obtaining four windows of the original|new design with enough fabric around their perimeters to glue to my existing pop up material with some vinyl cement.

Stan, or anyone else, what do you think of this idea?

Hey Mark

Do you want to call me when you have time ?

I talked with the the guys in our sewing dept. and they have a few ideas for you.

I'm not sure how easy it would be or how well it would work, but he can help give you a better idea on how it might come together if you like ?

Our number is 800-242-1442

Ask for Stan and just remind me you are the one that wants to retro fit the camper to the new style windows. I will then get one of them on the phone.

Or if it is easier, you can PM or e-mail me your phone number and I will have someone give you a call ?

Thanks

Stan

===================================================

I am thinking about remodeling the (crappy) windows on my 2001 Hawk. I am pondering the possibility of obtaining four windows of the original|new design with enough fabric around their perimeters to glue to my existing pop up material with some vinyl cement.

Stan, or anyone else, what do you think of this idea?

Dear Tomas--

I took some photographs last night during one of our normal rainstorms. I drove around for about a half hour, then raised the roof and took the pictures.

This photograph depicts water infiltration through the front of the camper. When the top is raised, no matter how hard it is raining, I don't see much. But when the top is lowered and I am driving around in a 'moderate' Houston torrent, this is the result...

L_corner.JPG

Although obviously not caused by problems with windows, this is nonetheless one leak I would like to resolve. Again, the water only shows up after driving around in the rain. It looks like a lot of water, but in reality I can catch it all by placing a dry washcloth on the spot before lowering the top.

The next photograph shows a similar amount of water deposited on the back of the couch cushion from the rearward passenger side window.

couch.JPG

This water has probably leaked through the front velcro 'seal' of the RR window. The next photograph shows a closeup of water leaking through the stitching of the RR window bottom.

RR_dripping.JPG

The final shot shows how the clear plastic portion of the window appears to have shrunk in width from its original dimensions.

This afternoon I had a telecon with one of the fellows of the sewing group at FWC (whose name I didn't retain, alas). He was describing how one might replace the windows without a new liner, but he also described a method now used for sealing the front and sides of the camper when the top is lowered that I might try to implement.

If I can slow down these leaks, I might be able to wait a year or two, and then replace the entire vinyl folding side portion of the camper, which should be viewed as a consumable part anyway, in my opinion.

RR_shrink.JPG

Mark

Mark,

Great pictures and description of the problem.
Since the leaks aren't occurring with the top up I'm wondering if a better seal between top and the camper body would help keep water from ponding in the liner when the top is down. Just thinking out load, please ignore if you've already considered this.

Mark, since the leaks aren't occurring with the top up I'm wondering if a better seal between top and the camper body would help keep water from ponding in the liner when the top is down. Just thinking out load, please ignore if you've already considered this.

Yes, I was DLN, but I was unsure how to go about it until yesterday's phone call with the fellow from FWC.

(Stan, if you read this, I hope you will be able to resupply that kind fellow's name.)

Mark,
Thanks for the detail in description and photos..Definately serious issues for you. I have noticed leakage through the forward windows on my camper. but it only shows itself when I pop up. seems to stay trapped in the velcro window until I slant the camper while popping up.haven't camped in the rain yet with it poped up

All of my thread holes are full on sticky goop. It's actually a mess, gets all over the place inside and out. But apparently it's keeping water out.. We had some really good rain the last few days here in Oxnard (a rarity!), even hail and a tonado. I'm going to go down and pop it up right now and have a look....

Well, I had some minor leakage. It appears to be coming in through the seam in the material and not the window as earlier stated..again, minor compared to your problem(s).

I also took a shot of the "goop" that surounds my camper. almost like some glue that didn't set up or something.. it's a mess! I couldn't get a good shot of the interior goop..

Jay, are you reading this? if so, what was your take on the goop when you owned the camper??

TT

Attachments

• DSCN2444.jpg
    DSCN2444.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 592
  • DSCN2445.jpg
    DSCN2445.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 582
  • DSCN2447.jpg
    DSCN2447.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 588
  • DSCN2446.jpg
    DSCN2446.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 582
goop

the sticky glue on the older campers is from the velcro.

the previous owner of the company was using sticky-back velcro on the windows for the pop-up portion of the camper (only for a few years).

Big Mistake !

I don't think they were aware of the potential problem at the time (the pop-up liners were being manufactured by an outside vendor in those days)

I'm pretty sure as soon as it started to come to everyone's attention, they changed the design right away.

Just guessing here, but I would probably put the blame on the outside vendor who was building the liners at that time for maybe trying a shortcut to make more of them, faster ? Just a guess, I wasn't here back then.

We have changed the pop-up design 2 times since then, and have gotten away from the sticky-back velcro long ago, probably late 2001 / early 2002 for sure (thank god). It it just about impossible, if not impossible to get the sticky goo off. We still haven't found anything that works.

:(

The newest window designs / pop-up designs we are using here at FWC has alot less stiching around the windows and we are using a special type of self-sealing thread for the seams. So far, so good.

Attachments

• new liner 1.JPG
    new liner 1.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 395
  • new liner 2.JPG
    new liner 2.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 404
  • new liner 4.JPG
    new liner 4.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 397
  • new liner 5.JPG
    new liner 5.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 395
a haa! sticky back velcro goop..

Thanks for that clarification Stan. I guess I won't try to clean it up! Doesn't bother me really.

I have noticed the difference in material and construction quality of the liner in some of the newer FWC's I've been pallin' around with. Mine seems more "brittle/ less "supple" than the new ones. Maybe a new liner is in my distant future...

TT,

Try a test spot with acetone. I've cleaned the gray liner material a few times now with no ill effect. Also, good on the faux wood. I did a test spot on the ceiling liner and didn't go any further because the test did discolor this material.

Before using a solvent like acetone you might want to try a product called De-Solv-It, it is made by a company called orange-sol, check their web site at www.orange-sol.com . I was looking for something to remove the adhesive left on a truck I bought from Oregon State Surplus, a very thick sticky adhesive that attaches the reflective strips and ODOT signs to the paint. Lacquer thinner, mineral spirits and acetone did nothing but the
De-Solv-It removed it easily with a few applications and scraping with a plastic window scraper. It left no scratches or residue and the truck looked shiny and polished when done. It was amazing, they claim it can be used on newborn baby skin and I found it to be completely nonirritating used without gloves, plus it has a pleasant mild orange smell instead of a noxious smell like mineral spirits or other solvents.

I used the adhesive Velcro when I built my camper and just checked with a scrap piece, the De-Solv-It instantly made it nonsticky and I as able to remove the adhesive from the Velcro.

Also if the seams in your material are leaking where stitched you can buy a seam sealer made for vinyl coated polyester, check www.seattlefabrics.com

Hope this is helpful

There are two products you might want to try; one called Goof Off, the other Goo Gone. They work similar and really well for many things, including old adhesive.

Yes, I was DLN, but I was unsure how to go about it until yesterday's phone call with the fellow from FWC.

(Stan, if you read this, I hope you will be able to resupply that kind fellow's name.)

Mark,

What was your solution for the front leak? I have the same one from the rain with the top closed.

Thanks

Mark,

What was your solution for the front leak? I have the same one from the rain with the top closed.

Thanks

The solution, which I haven't yet implemented, will be to add a 'P' gasket to the bottom portion of the camper. To do this (I believe) I will need to remove the trim retaining the soft vinyl sides to the main body of the camper, and then replace it with the 'P' gasket sandwiched between the vinyl and the trim.

Thanks Mark,
Sound like project.:eek:
May be I will stick with a towel and frequent dry outs until I finally replace the fabric. My leak is pretty small i the front left corner for now with the heavey rain we've had.

Back
Top Bottom