Grade 8 carriage bolts for Ride Rites

nixfwc

I cannot find a prior thread on this item. Please direct me if it is already listed. Does anyone know a source for grade 8 carriage bolts to mount the Ride Rites? I have not broken mine yet and would like to solve that problem ahead of time. I can find 8-18 stainless carriage bolts ( not much stronger than grade 5) but not grade 8. Thanks for the help.

I broke two bolts in DV and have since replaced them with grade 8 bolts, (nylock) nuts and washers. I bought six sets which gives me two spares for $17 at my local hardware store. They are not carriage bolts, but it's no big deal to put a wrench on the top while using a socket to tighten.

Thanks. That was my next step. Grade 8 carriage bolts just don't seem to be available. Switching to regular grade 8 bolts is an easy step.

They don't make them. Carriage bolts don't have enough head strength to be made in the G8 version.
There were some made with a KS headstamp years ago, but they were recalled.
As was posted above, go with G8 bolts, and don't forget to buy G8 nuts and washers while you're at it. If you've got any lock washers, throw them away and use locktite instead, if you need it. Lock washers are useless in any G5 or G8 bolted joint.

Back
Top Bottom