Happy Spring

Well, spring has sprung and we're out prepping the garden, hunting for morels in the woods and . . . not backcountry skiing.

I came across some first hand reporting of the snow drought in the Sierra with excellent photography too.

Winter of his disbelief

Excellent Mr. Lighthawk! Even ole Beck and Bartholomew got mentioned and such familiar terrain. Wonderful, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Well Lighthawks, what can you say? An other depressing group of facts--- maybe we can change the name of the months or something and pretend it's summer and everything is Okay! I thought about forwarding this to some friends who back packed with me over the years in the Sierras-but why ruin their day! Read that 2016 has a 50% chance of being a wet year-wishful thinking-hope not! Cold and clear here in the NE-didn't get much more than a dusting of snow from the latest "winter" blast and we are supposed to break a few more high temp records later this week. Think I'll go have a tooth pulled, then go up to the lake for a few days and look at the mud puddle that was Eagle Lake-or maybe head up to Oregon-wonder if the snow pack situation has got any better since the last report from there!

Smoke

Time to bookmark Yubanet again. Fire burning on the way to Antelope Lake (site of my annual june trip). Odd, I figured it'd be on the other side of Indian Creek. That area sure has had its share of fires the last few years.

A half inch of rain predicted for Saturday. We had a small thundershower Tuesday evening. This is good news because the Ponderosa pollen is starting about 5 to 6 weeks early.

ski3pin said:
A half inch of rain predicted for Saturday. We had a small thundershower Tuesday evening. This is good news because the Ponderosa pollen is starting about 5 to 6 weeks early.
I'm noticing my red truck starting to turn yellow from the pines around our house, I might not have to wash it after all.

Winter Weather Advisory
Code:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV
245 AM PDT FRI APR 24 2015

...LATE SEASON STORM TO BRING SNOW TO EASTERN SIERRA ON
SATURDAY...

CAZ073-250000-
/O.NEW.KREV.WW.Y.0005.150425T1200Z-150426T0000Z/
MONO-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BRIDGEPORT...MAMMOTH LAKES
245 AM PDT FRI APR 24 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM TO 5 PM PDT
SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RENO HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER
ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM TO 5 PM PDT
SATURDAY.

* TIMING: SNOW WILL BEGIN ACCUMULATING EARLY SATURDAY MORNING
  CONTINUING THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: 3 TO 6 INCHES ALONG AND WEST OF HIGHWAY
  395...WITH UP TO 10 INCHES ABOVE 8000 FEET. UP TO 3 INCHES EAST
  OF HIGHWAY 395.

* SNOW LEVELS: AROUND 6000 FEET.

* IMPACTS: SNOW WILL CREATE SLICK AND ICY ROADS WITH THE WORST
  CONDITIONS BEGINNING SATURDAY MORNING. THIS INCLUDES HIGHWAY

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO POSE AN INCONVENIENCE TO TRAVELERS. ROADS
WILL BECOME SLICK AND HAZARDOUS...WITH SNOW AND ICE FIRST
DEVELOPING ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES. MOTORISTS SHOULD SLOW DOWN
AND USE CAUTION. CHECK OUR WEBSITE AT WEATHER.GOV/RENO OR LISTEN
TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO FOR UPDATES ON THIS SITUATION.

395. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... SNOW IS EXPECTED TO POSE AN INCONVENIENCE TO TRAVELERS. ROADS WILL BECOME SLICK AND HAZARDOUS...WITH SNOW AND ICE FIRST DEVELOPING ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES. MOTORISTS SHOULD SLOW DOWN AND USE CAUTION. CHECK OUR WEBSITE AT WEATHER.GOV/RENO OR LISTEN TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO FOR UPDATES ON THIS SITUATION.

Ski do you think people read these warnings? They should and heed them IMO.
Let it snow,sounds good.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Ski do you think people read these warnings? They should and heed them IMO.

Let it snow,sounds good.
Frank
Yes they should heed these. I've spent a lifetime driving in the worse of conditions to get to an incident. We always called the driving portion "the dangerous part of the mission." I believe most people read the warnings but do not clearly understand them. In normal years, during avalanche control work the highway is closed very close to here. Many many times I'll be working the snowblower on the berm up on the main road created by the county snowplow and a car will stop in the middle of the road in the storm and I'll be asked, "Is this the alternate route?" At first I did not understand what they were talking about until I checked Cal Trans Road Conditions report, "Highway 50 closed for avalanche control, use alternate route."

Might actually be very nice conditions for the Scottish Games tomorrow. The woodland fairgrounds doesn't have a lot of shade.

Well the pavement is wet here in Bend, but it's still dry under the trees. Typical "rain" in Central Oregon.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
.......................................................................and Mayflowers bring Pilgrims"
Careful Frank, one of my great great............................grandpas was on that little boat. :)

ski3pin said:
Careful Frank, one of my great great............................grandpas was on that little boat. :)
As my wife's ones. Me I come from a different boat,by way of the "Lady of the Lake" AKA statue of liberty.
We are all immigrants,some way or another.
Frank

The Sierras are looking a little nevada this morning.

VIS1FAT_20150426-1.gif

My brother went up the MET to play in the snow. Even has video of the Sheriff stuck in the snow. It made for nice condition for the Scottish Games in Woodland.

Back
Top Bottom