HAWK SOLAR CONNECTION

tree

got the new hawk installed yesterday. seems they don't come with the 2 solar ports connected. I asked about the wires, they showed me the battery connect in the battery cupboard. and 2 in the fuse box area. was brief. 2 go to battery, and the other I believe are marked roof and rear. im sure I have to connect in both areas. will check later today. was too dark last night. anybody connect their portable panel up lately?

I might of just figured it out. camper is full time. so its with me. went outside on lunch break LOL. 2 in battery compartment will get hooked up tonight. looks like the ones in fuse area are junctions for the roof and rear wall together. so they are connected already. good to go.

Make sure there is a solar controller in your system somewhere, either installed in the camper or on your portable panel.
yes, controller on my zamp portable panel. thanx

I can only imagine somebody hooking direct without controller.im sure some have tried. LOL

tree said:
yes, controller on my zamp portable panel. thanx

I can only imagine somebody hooking direct without controller.im sure some have tried. LOL

FWC Zamp portable 80w panel normally does not have a controller; it uses the controller inside the camper via an outside wire connector/plug at the rear of the camper [Left rear on our Hawk]....but as mentioned...make certain all solar panels go to a controller and then to batteries...just one on the portable will not cut it if you have a panel on roof and not another controller..

Phil

FWC Zamp portable 80w panel normally does not have a controller; it uses the controller inside the camper via an outside wire connector/plug at the rear of the camper [Left rear on our Hawk]....but as mentioned...make certain all solar panels go to a controller and then to batteries...just one on the portable will not cut it if you have a panel on roof and not another controller..

Phil
I have the limited edition zamp 60 watt portable solar kit from lowes, that has a charge controller on it. and a noco 2 bank onboard charger. 2 agm batteries. basically I only run lights, and a zamp 600 watt inverter for tv. Honda 2000 at home that I only will bring out on extended trips.

Oh they'll try alright. I took the controller off my portable panel because I used a better one inside the camper. It was a big group trip and later one guy comes up "I tried to use your panel to charge my motorcycle but it started smoking". Yeah, that'll happen with no controller :)

Vic Harder said:
Are you putting more panels on the roof? If so, it sounds like you need another controller for those.
Vic it sounds like Tree bought a "new Hawk" without any solar panels and he bought a portable at Lowes.

Not to change the subject but to confirm ... can the 160 watt on the 2016 FWC's be used along with the 80 watt (fold up) panel on the back at the same time?

Bombsight said:
Not to change the subject but to confirm ... can the 160 watt on the 2016 FWC's be used along with the 80 watt (fold up) panel on the back at the same time?
Yes...both go into the same controller...portable to "reach" sunlight that roof mounted panel may not....plus in low light, having 240w panels is better than a single 160w... :D

Phil

Vic Harder said:
YES, if you are using a PWM controller. NO if you are using a MPPT controller.

Vic while I love it when you 'talk dirty' could you translate those abbreviations for me? And how they differ?

Thanks..Phil

LOL :D

PWM - Pulse Width Modified = Bogart Trimetric & Zamp for most factory installed campers

MPPT - Maximum Power Point Tracking - used for higher voltage panels, or 12v panels in series. Arguably "better" technology, but a lot depends on implementation.

DRJ is using a EPSOLAR Tracer series MPPT. I am using a Victron series MPPT controller. Neither are as well designed as the Trimetric, but because we have higher power (lower cost per watt) panels, we had no choice.

The PWM units will read the incoming voltage and aim for about .5V higher than what the battery is currently reading at, and feed the max current of the panel into the battery.

MPPT units will also read the battery, but can stand between the battery and controller more effectively, and choose the best voltage * current output of the panel, then CONVERT that to what the battery needs and send it that.

A well designed PWM unit (aka Trimetric) will utilize the maximum current output of the panel, and is constrained by the voltage outputs of the panel and what the battery needs.

A MPPT unit will choose the best current and voltage from the panel, but may do a lousy job of converting the power to what the battery needs.

In many cases, the Trimetric will outperform a MPPT unit.

So why did I (and DRJ and others) go with MPPT? because the higher voltage panels are cheaper per watt, and you don't have to be overly concerned about voltage drop.

And why can a PWM unit serve two different solar arrays? It is looking only at the battery to see what the battery wants, and then chopping the OUTPUT of what it gets to feed the battery that.

The MPPT unit is trying to optimize what is RECEIVING from the panels and converting/translating that into what the battery needs. So, different panels, different translation requirements.

Make sense?

I have a Renology 100 watt folding panel that I have removed the charge controller from, and added 60 ft of #10 cable. I just need to find the correct plug to plug into the back of my new (to come) Grandby as I have . Will the Zamp Controller be able to handle the 260 watts? Can someone give me a link to the type plug I need to go in the back of the camper. I currently have Renology MC4 type plug and need to make a short pigtail to convert from one plug to the other.

Vic Harder said:
YES, if you are using a PWM controller. NO if you are using a MPPT controller.
I believe multiple panels can be used with an MPPT controller if they are similar voltage output. I run a 100w Renogy on the roof and a 100w Renogy flexible as a portable through a Morningstar MPPT controller with no problems. Both panels have an open circuit voltage in the 17v range.

Wallowa said:
Yes...both go into the same controller...portable to "reach" sunlight that roof mounted panel may not....plus in low light, having 240w panels is better than a single 160w... :D

Phil
Thank you!

Wallowa said:
Vic it sounds like Tree bought a "new Hawk" without any solar panels and he bought a portable at Lowes.
yep, portable with controller. all hooked up now. thanx. was just wondering on the cables in fuse box, but they were just roof to main junction ect. I used a meter to signal chase the back wall. all good now.

Back
Top Bottom