Health scare and trip planning

The highway is crowded with huge fifth wheels, travel trailers, boats, motor bikes, vehicles loaded to the gills. It looks like a usual Memorial Day weekend to us up here. Even the gas station knocked the prices up to holiday levels. The Safeway parking lot is packed with rigs. No social distancing, no face masks.

Where are they going to camp? The campgrounds are closed. I guess they'll just cut the locks, tear down the signs, and move in like last weekend.

Looks like we cannot use any of our local services for the next four days and we'll be sure to look both ways before crossing any road on our local walks.

Ski3pin. Where are you located and for real ... people cut chains to enter illegally?! That is un- American. Breaks my heart.

buckland said:
Ski3pin. Where are you located and for real ... people cut chains to enter illegally?! That is un- American. Breaks my heart.
Crystal Basin Recreation Area in the Eldorado National Forest. Yes, people cut a gate open to a favorite campground on a large reservoir. Others drove cross country into meadows and camped.

Breaks my heart too. What breaks my heart more is seasoned agency folks shrugging their shoulders and telling me this is usual public behavior they see all the time.

Now you know why we always try to be a long ways away from this beautiful place on weekends. Except, of course, when we are all told no non-essential travel.

Breaks my heart too. What breaks my heart more is seasoned agency folks shrugging their shoulders and telling me this is usual public behavior they see all the time.

Someone needs to be in control here.Or it's anarchy.
Frank

This. This is why we are staying home for now. The plight of the Commons. Used by many protected by few or none.

Wow. What ever happen to respect for the rules? They are there to protect...I sound like a rube but hey It is that or what?

We live in a vacation area as well and the traffic today was insane, perhaps more so than other years past.

I think it’s a combination of cabin fever and the state opening the flood gates a bit but the amount of people entering our county was much more than I expected. We’re staying home this weekend and enjoying the mostly pleasant weather after a week of torrential rain...

Posted this elsewhere, this may be a better fit; “The low woods and desert around here out of the snow have been LOADED with campers/mtn bikers/vanlifers/snowshoers/hikers/fishermen and women; and who knows what else since the lockdown began.” Looks like any other Memorial Day Weekend here, maybe worse. I have not heard about vandalism of sites, probably because a lot of campgrounds around here are little, out of the way sites that aren’t set up for hard closure with gates and such. That and dispersed camping/general access to the public domain was not ever closed, and some of what was is open or opening soon. We have had the other usual carnage though, a drowning at a lake, stranded climber rescue at Mt Hood, drunk driver ended up in the Crooked River among others.

First time in a long time I haven’t had to work the holiday weekend, I’m enjoying it from the comforts of home.

Whatever you choose to do are not do, be careful with your health exposure and otherwise.

smlobx said:
We live in a vacation area as well and the traffic today was insane, perhaps more so than other years past.

I think it’s a combination of cabin fever and the state opening the flood gates a bit but the amount of people entering our county was much more than I expected. We’re staying home this weekend and enjoying the mostly pleasant weather after a week of torrential rain...
Just saw on the morning news some video of Myrtle Beach,looks like a zoo with people everywhere.
Oh well I guess you play the odds.
Not for me at home works.
Frank

If Myrtle Beach was sunny & the visitors were not completely slathered with SPF 80, they were increasing their Vitamin D level which improves one’s immune system. Sunshine destroys Covid-19. If they, also, either kept a safe distance from each other or wore a mask, and kept moving, the benefits may well have exceeded the risks as they improved their emotional well being by exercising in a pleasant environment.

Stay at home or go to the beach. Choosing what to do with our allotted time is a personal decision.

Paul

Dang, I was getting ready head up to the Modoc NF ( County/Fed CG's are open there now, some BLM here is open, Nevada and Oregon are locked up) at the end of the week and the Lassen County Health Dept.Web. site just announced its first 4 positive Covid 19 tests for locals on Tuesday and just closed down things here again (after just opening things up). They also said that there were 5 non-local positive tests.

I After reading the alert, I headed down town to get some meds and other things I needed right now, and saw my barber was sort of open-so I stopped and she let me in. She was closing up (she is 65 and also not taking any chances) after just officially opening up for the first time in a while. She said she had heard from one of the CO's there that some of the cases were out at the state prison. I guess I'll load the truck up, finish up more yard work and wait and see wait happens next. As a side note, getting a hair cut while wearing a face mask is an interesting team experience-another day in this new world of Covid-19!!

Smoke

With over 100,000 known dead in the USA from this virus in about 3 months, it strikes me as too early to say the worst is over and we can all go play now. YMMV.

I guess my mileage does vary.

When the country was locked down we knew little to nothing about this disease. After several months we know a lot about it. We know who is at risk and who is at very little risk. We know where risks are high and where they aren't. All of the country is at some phase of re-opening. The country needs to open. There are concerns now that more may die of the lock up effects than of the disease.

We have all learned how to protect ourselves and others. Use those guidelines. In areas other than concentrated city environments, get outside in the fresh air and sunshine. Boondocking (we call it Free-grazing) somewhere, anywhere, is healthier than Walmart or any of the other big box places who were excluded from the lock-downs. Travel to places near home or farther away if you desire.

Buy fuel, groceries, camper supplies and equipment. Go places. Help the economy. This disease will pass. If you are in one of the target groups, make your own choices about exposure. I have. I am 72 and I'm through sitting around listening to model projections that are not reliable, media reports that focus only on the negative and community lock-downs of little to no value in the avoidance of this disease.

I spent a little while making limoncello this afternoon. Followed this you tube approach:

Basically 10 washed organic lemons, peeled, juiced (no seeds) and a fifth of Everclear. Now I only have to wait a month, and shake it every day. Then pour it through a cheese cloth, add a cup and a half of organic filtered honey, bottle and store in the freezer until wanted. That's it!

This is my third time with this formulation -- it is a welcome treat on a hot summer evening all around the neighborhood.

And maybe in a month or so, it will be safe to go venturing out. I look forward to us sipping this while watching the sunset and talking about the day's adventures.

[SIZE=10.5pt]U.S. Forest Service [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Eldorado National Forest [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]100 Forni Road [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Placerville, CA 95667 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]530-303-2412[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]www.fs.usda.gov/eldoradohttp://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00119Jk...qiQDyKxkb9y-mZKkjtjngzHd2pmey2TODOcIxEVX48A==[/SIZE]

f13f1819-ace3-4afb-8bfb-7ffbe3ac6671.png

[SIZE=36pt]News Release[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]For Immediate Release[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]June 11, 2020[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Media Contacts: [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=10.5pt]Jennifer Chapman, (530) 957-9660[/SIZE]​

Eldorado National Forest Recreation Update: June 11, 2020
[SIZE=11.5pt]Developed campgrounds begin to open on Friday [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]PLACERVILLE, Calif. - [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]The Eldorado National Forest is increasing forest access for the public by opening additional developed recreational opportunities across the forest, including 20 developed campgrounds and 2 other designated camping areas that will open on Friday, June 12 (see list below). Visitors are encouraged to check the forest website and social media pages for the most up-to-date information on what is open so that you can plan your visit. You can also call your local ranger station during normal business hours Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]We continue to recommend that you not travel long distances to recreate. If you or anyone in your household is feeling sick, please remain at home and plan your trip for another time. All visitors should practice self-sufficiency during your visits to national forests. Recreating responsibly will help ensure that expanded access to recreational facilities, services, and opportunities continues. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Responsible recreation practices should be maintained at all times, including:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]• Maintaining at least six feet distancing from others.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]• Do not gather in groups and please follow the latest guidance from officials.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]• Communicate with others. Alert trail users of your presence and step aside to let others pass.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]• Pack out your trash and leave with everything you bring in and use.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]• All services may not be available, so please plan accordingly.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The Eldorado National Forest will continue to phase in opening of facilities and services as federal, state and county policies, facility preparations and conditions on the ground allow. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The forest is beginning to open developed campgrounds for individual campsites that provide the opportunity for overnight camping for families or members of the same household. Twenty-two camping locations will open June 12[/SIZE][SIZE=7.5pt]th[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] with additional developed campgrounds opening over the next several weeks pending site preparation and conditions on the ground. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Group campgrounds will remain closed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Visitors should plan ahead for their trip as there may be changes from what you typically experience at your favorite campground. Some campsites may not be available in order to allow for proper social distancing between sites and some shared areas may be closed. Please bring all necessary cleaning and sanitization supplies, such as hand sanitizer or soap and a plastic table cloth for picnic tables that can be disposed of or taken back home for washing. Some activities may not be available, such as group picnic areas, swimming beaches or amphitheaters.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]For those that have reserved campsites in advance, if the campground is not able to be opened, customers will be notified via Recreation.gov and will receive a refund. Some campgrounds are opening earlier than expected. Reservations will be honored if the reservation holder did not already cancel. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]We thank you for your patience up until this point and ask for your continued patience during this transition period.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Please be aware that many of our campgrounds do not typically open until late May or June, even without the challenges associated with COVID-19, due to winter snow and the associated preparation of the sites for the season. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Campgrounds [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]The following campgrounds are open effective June 12[/SIZE][SIZE=7.5pt]th[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt], 2020:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Highway 88 Corridor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o PiPi CG[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Capps Crossing CG[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Middle Fork Cosumnes CG[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Pardoes Point CG[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Sugar Pine Point CG[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o White Azalea CG[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Mokelumne River CG[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Highway 50 Corridor [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Gray Rock Dispersed Camping Area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Sand Flat CG[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o China Flat CG [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Silver Fork CG[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Lovers Leap CG [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Crystal Basin Recreation Area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Icehouse CG[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Fashoda CG [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Gerle Creek CG [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Wench Creek CG[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o West Point CG[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Yellowjacket CG [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Wolf Creek CG[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Loon Lake CG[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Loon Lake Equestrian (part of Loon Lake CG)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Sunset CG[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Georgetown Vicinity & North[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]o Long Canyon Camping Area[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Day Use, Trailheads, Boat Ramps and Staging Areas[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Day use sites and services continue to expand. Trash removal services remain limited; please pack out all trash and waste. Toilet facilities remain limited; please plan accordingly. For a full list of available day use sites, please visit the [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]forest websitehttp://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00119Jk...qiQDyKxkb9y-mZKkjtjngzHd2pmey2TODOcIxEVX48A==http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00119Jk...qiQDyKxkb9y-mZKkjtjngzHd2pmey2TODOcIxEVX48A==[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt].[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The safety of our employees and the public will continue to be our number one priority as we closely monitor the situation and implement changes accordingly. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Fire Restrictions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Please be aware that fire restrictions are in effect. Campfires are currently prohibited everywhere the Eldorado National Forest except within the stoves (including grills) and fire rings provided in developed campgrounds and recreations sites that are listed as exempt in the forest order. Please refer to [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]Forest Order 03-20-12http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00119Jk...qiQDyKxkb9y-mZKkjtjngzHd2pmey2TODOcIxEVX48A==http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00119Jk...qiQDyKxkb9y-mZKkjtjngzHd2pmey2TODOcIxEVX48A==[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] for details. IMPORTANT: Not all developed campgrounds are exempt from fire restrictions. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]It is also important to note that persons with a valid California Campfire Permit are not exempt from these restrictions. However, persons with a valid California Campfire Permit may use a portable campfire pit, stove or lantern, that uses gas, kerosene, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel, with a shutoff valve in an area that is at least three feet from any flammable materials. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]California Campfire Permits can be obtained online [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]herehttp://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00119Jk...qiQDyKxkb9y-mZKkjtjngzHd2pmey2TODOcIxEVX48A==http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00119Jk...qiQDyKxkb9y-mZKkjtjngzHd2pmey2TODOcIxEVX48A==[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt].[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]We appreciate your cooperation in keeping our national forests and their surrounding communities safe and healthy for everyone’s use. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Our virtual offices are staffed to provide visitor information from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]· Forest Supervisor’s Office - 530-303-2412[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]· Georgetown Ranger District – 530-334-6477[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]· Placerville/Pacific Ranger District - 916-500-4712[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]· Amador Ranger District – 209-259-3774[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]###[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10.5pt]The U.S.D.A Forest Service is an equal opportunity employer. The mission of the Forest Service is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the nation's forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations.[/SIZE]

We've also noticed that the Mono Vista RV Park in downtown Lee Vining, Mono County California has reopened.

The California National Forests were/are waiting on when the state and county health departments would go ahead with authorizing campground reopening. This begins June 12. Thus, our local Eldorado National Forest is beginning to open campgrounds.

When Mr. Ski revived this thread earlier today it reminded my that I never posted an end to the saga of our friends who were stranded in Morocco for three months (two months more than they had originally planned on) due to the pandemic. They got home safely about three weeks ago. They were able to leave the campground that they were in thanks to the British Embassy. The Embassy organized a ferry trip for UK citizens from Morocco to Spain and, through a twist of fate Chuck and Barb (our friends) were able to tag along. Once in Spain they drove directly to Belgium where a friend lives, and then on to Amsterdam to turn in the rented camper van and catch a flight to the US. It took ten frustrating days to get from the camp in Morocco to their home in Minnesota . . . . quite an ordeal (adventure).

Back
Top Bottom