Health scare and trip planning

Saw this the other day, I think it fits:

"[SIZE=11pt]Communities form when ego-focused concerns recede in favor of shared agendas and a more universal identity."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]So glad to be part of this community! [/SIZE]

Whoa... just stepping back into the forum since been out a bit. We in Massachusetts ...especailly in western mass near VT (Franklin CO) have been hit hard. We are the poorest MA county and have the most elderly %... rural. We were hit hard as we don't have the services (not even internet) and folks from the city came north (don't blame them) ... all that is needed is community. look out for others. wear a mask. look in on old folks... volunteer to bring meals. Wasn't expected but we gotta just step up as WA is just doing spin.

Vic Harder said:
Saw this the other day, I think it fits:

"[SIZE=11pt]Communities form when ego-focused concerns recede in favor of shared agendas and a more universal identity."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]So glad to be part of this community! [/SIZE]
Vic, you know that's how I felt when I found this forum back in June of 2009. Because that respectful, caring, sense of community remains - it is a testament to the genuinely nice folks who are members here.

Yup, pretty congenial crowd on here IMO. As I’ve stated elsewhere on here, this is the first forum I joined, back in November 2009. I’ve followed a few other forums since that time, but always find this one the pleasant place to check in on and occasionally leave a comment or two.

Feel free to pat yourself on the back....

It's great to read all the good things members have written about our site.
I ran into this site beginning of Sept 2009,while searching for a camper.
We wanted to change from our 2 year old "tent trailer" into a new style camper we saw
returning home from Yellowstone.It was a FWC parked along the Madison River west of YNP.

So finding this site has been a great find. And all the members and their info has worked out.
Hope everyone is staying healthy.We will get through this don't know when but we will.
Frank

This is a great place and anyone doubts it just go check out pirate4x4. A lot of useful information there but congenial is word that will never be used there.

Here is a list of restrictions in one place -

Where All 50 States Stand on Reopening

It may help to search out information. Personally, I'm pleased to see Montana and Hawaii directing non-residents entering their states to quarantine for 14 days. There may be other states as well. I've only looked at states I'm interested in where friends and family reside.

I stumbled upon this site in February of 2009 while researching campers and it is one of very few sites that I regularly look at. When I do go elsewhere, I am often appalled at the general lack of civility that many sites exhibit. Rarely are there any nasty or demeaning comments here and if someone does step out of line (usually not a regular contributor), the moderators are quick to take corrective action. Great site with good people!

For those of you that are following the saga of our friends (Chuck and Barb) who are stranded in Morocco, here is an update. The lockdown will remain in place until at least May 20th. The government will make the decision whether or not to lift travel restrictions on May 18th. They are anxious to start the process of returning home to the US but feel they are being treated exceptionally well. A group of government employees including healthcare workers and the number 2 and number 3 leaders of the province have stopped by to check on them and the others in the campground several times. Two days ago, the group of officials asked if there was anything that that the campers needed and Barb, jokingly said "pizza." Yesterday, the officials appeared at dinner time with boxes of pizza for each of the camp sites! The officials also provide them with large numbers of masks and lots of hand sanitizer. Another example of how well they are being treated is that Chuck has had to get some medical attention at the local clinic and in six visits over the past month or so, they only charged him 200 Dirhams ($20.00 US), which was for an ultra sound procedure. Otherwise, there has been no charge. They also were interviewed, along with others from the campground for a spot on one of the national TV news stations. Unfortunately, I am unable to post the link to that video here because I am doing something wrong. I will see if one of the moderators, Mr. Sage can help me, as it is interesting to watch. I will provide further updates as they become available.

An interesting post from the Mono County Sheriff Search and Rescue Team

https://webapps.mono.ca.gov/COVIDDocs//PressReleases/MOSARRecreation_Update.pdf

Hello Mono County Residents, 2nd Homeowners, and Visitors:

We are now approaching 8 weeks of shelter-in-place, and like you, we at Mono County Sheriff Search and Rescue (SAR) are weary of it. All of us who choose to live in this somewhat remote and isolated place are here for a reason – to enjoy the recreational opportunities, low population density, and overall quality of life.

Good health includes not only the physical aspects, but mental as well. It is well known that vigorous physical activity is beneficial to mood and helps to hold depression at bay. The Governor is moving toward Stage 2 of the plan to re-open California, and we urge you to go out and enjoy our local trails and backcountry in a dispersed manner for your well-being.

While we encourage you to get out and exercise, we ask that you limit your pursuits to those that are low risk, and unlikely to result in a mishap that might require SAR response or a hospital visit. We have been fortunate in the 7 weeks of shelter in place that we have had no SAR calls in Mono County. Inyo County has not been as fortunate as they have responded to backcountry calls for assistance.

Please be advised that if assistance is requested, the SAR team is operating in a diminished capacity as some members are unable to respond due to personal risk factors such as age, compromised immune systems, or self-isolation to protect their families and loved ones. So please get out there for some Vitamin D therapy but do it in a conservative manner.

Day hikes and trail runs are good for everyone; ski mountaineering, rock climbing, fording snow-melt swollen steams, and backcountry unicycle riding will need to wait until the coronavirus risks diminish.

Respectfully, your volunteer friends and neighbors from the Mono County Sheriff Search and Rescue Team.

The Eldorado National Forest just announced they are beginning (may 16) to reopen a list of developed day use recreation sites. These include trailheads and boat ramps. Sorry, I cannot provide a link to the news release. It is not yet posted to the website -
Eldorado National Forest

FYI-Don't know if it's just because of what the co's are doing but, campgrounds on the Modoc NF(Modoc Co) are open and those on the Lassen NF(Lassen Co.) are closed. I haven't checked BLM here in California yet but I expect they too are following what the co's are doing-have not checked Nevada yet!

Smoke

slash2 said:
<snip>

..... backcountry unicycle riding will need to wait until the coronavirus risks diminish.

Respectfully, your volunteer friends and neighbors from the Mono County Sheriff Search and Rescue Team.
Dang - that is exactly what I wanted to do tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom