Health scare and trip planning

Boy, I'm almost afraid to see what to see all the damage that will be done to our public lands by the time things open up,again! Just remember what happened during the last shut down a few years ago! "When the cat goes away the mice do play".

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Boy, I'm almost afraid to see what to see all the damage that will be done to our public lands by the time things open up,again! Just remember what happened during the last shut down a few years ago! "When the cat goes away the mice do play".

Smoke
Exactly.

Riley is looking forward to meeting Timber. It will be nice to no longer have to say "weekends over, gotta head back". Four more days though. I was kinda of impressed. They didn't ask me to work six days like the rest of the plant.

My financial planner would be aghast if I had one. I figure the physical and mental part outweighs that. Camping isn't expensive.

Yeah, I hope the idiots haven't been out doing what idiots do. Crossing my fingers.

Spent a few days in the back country of Borrego state park guess it will be
the last time for a while as of the 31st of march all roads and trails
are closed hiking and walking for locals only.

Going to explore Bradshaw trail next week ( BLM land) will see how it goes.

Les,lqhikers

Seriously, just stay the f at home. I live in North Tahoe, have watched all the vacation homes slowly fill up over the past couple weeks in my neighborhood. We don’t need it. It puts a strain on all the infrastructure, pharmacies, grocery, etc. The local hospitals in rural areas have minimal capacity as it is. If you get sick, fine, you can drive home. If you infect a few other people because of casual contact, you might end up killing someone who is locked into the area. Be smart right now, stay home. As for living in the BLM, as attractive as it seems, how long can you actually go without water and without dumping a, literal, ton of **** on the ground. Sorry, feeling kind of tense lately.

Mthomas said:
Seriously, just stay the f at home. I live in North Tahoe, have watched all the vacation homes slowly fill up over the past couple weeks in my neighborhood. We don’t need it. It puts a strain on all the infrastructure, pharmacies, grocery, etc. The local hospitals in rural areas have minimal capacity as it is. If you get sick, fine, you can drive home. If you infect a few other people because of casual contact, you might end up killing someone who is locked into the area. Be smart right now, stay home. As for living in the BLM, as attractive as it seems, how long can you actually go without water and without dumping a, literal, ton of **** on the ground. Sorry, feeling kind of tense lately.
Yep-stay home! As hard as it is, the fewer people out and about the better off the land and it's resources will be when we get to go back! It is so easy to think-especially if you live in a place like Susanville-an hour or two (or 10 minutes) an and i can be out in the Sheldon or Hart Mtn and maybe think I can find a place to ride this out-then I think if I'm thinking about this how many others are thinking the same thing and maybe some of them or me have this thing (and more guns than me)-then what? No need to add to the body count out there or pollute those few good water resources. So stay home, work on the truck or house , read a book, get to know you dog or family!

Smoke

Finally.................we should expect this everywhere. The message - Stay Home.

Park Status during COVID-19
(Updated 4/4/2020)

Death Valley National Park is [SIZE=18pt]CLOSED [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Following guidance [/SIZE]from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and [SIZE=12pt]recommendations from state and local public health in consultation with NPS Public Health Service officers, Death Valley National Park is temporarily closed. The health and safety of our visitors, employees, volunteers, and partners is our number one priority. The National Park Service (NPS) is working servicewide with federal, state, and local authorities to closely monitor the COVID-19 pandemic.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]All areas of the park are closed, including: trails, roads, viewpoints, visitor centers, restrooms, and campgrounds.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]When the park resumes full operations, updates will be posted on the website and social media channels. [/SIZE]

On hold.

After seeing the Florida spring breakers leave COVID-19 everywhere (gas stations, fast food joints restaurants, etc) they stopped on the way home to the mid-west and northeast..,just not worth the risk. We're in our 60's and healthy with no immune issues. All the same, I'd rather not come see how I tolerate COVID-19.

I watched a video published by Dr. Price of Cornell's NYC hospital, pulmonary unit. Very empowering video. He's convince you will not get the disease as long as you do not touch your face, and in particular your mouth, nose and eyes with your hands. He is of the opinion even if contact with a person with COVID-19, if you do not prolong your exposure (he states prolonged is 30 minutes, for me 1 minute would be prolonged) you will not contract the disease.

He did not recommend non-medical professionals wearing a mask. But, he did recommend a positive person wearing a mask. Further, he stated if you are prone to constantly touching your face, wear a mask.

We are constantly washing our hands. We are wiping our hands with Clorox wipes after visiting any store/gas station and before entering our vehicles.

Times like these I wish we lived in the rural west so we could be camping on dispersed lands with a short drive. That's not going to happen east of the Mississippi.

"Times like these I wish we lived in the rural west so we could be camping on dispersed lands with a short drive. That's not going to happen east of the Mississippi."

I feel your pain. Unfortunately, even us that live out in the west are not able to do that. People that fill up their tanks with gas from a local gas station and then drive somewhere to recreate, say fishing, hiking, camping, etc, are getting harassed. Even if they don't stop at any stores or touch anything out of their own possessions. If you aren't a local, expect to be questioned at least.

It sucks that we all have to stay home for a bit. Trust me, I know. As a cancer patient receiving chemotherapy every two weeks, I'm considered high risk. I retired a little over a month ago with dreams of spending my non treatment time on the road. The only time I have gone anywhere in the last three weeks is to go to my treatments.

Ted congratulations on the retirement!! I missed that. As my cancer is not life threatening I still worry. I continual to hope you come out the other side and enjoy retirement.

Ted, I'm so glad you are still trucking long! Ya have not yet met my new dog.Timber she ;isn't like old Bob, but she wants to meet you and your better half. We will beat this stuff and hit the woods---soon!

Smoke

Ted...

Congratulations on retirement and saddened to read you're going through cancer treatment. We have a good friend also in cancer treatment. She had surgery this past week. We were worried it would be delayed due to COVID-19, but, our area isn't swamped with cases so she was able to get the procedure.

I guess, it depends on where you live out west. We have friends in Santa Fe who are dispersed camping around the state without any issues. Same for some friends in St. George.

I didn't say such, but, I didn't mean traveling days to disperse camp, just sort of in your extended back yard by a few hours.

Wishing you a quick recovery and return to good health!

Kolockum said:
I have always avoided people so no changes there for me. My only concern would be crossing US Canadian Boarder and getting stuck on the other side.
I had the same issue I was in Mexico camping at Puerto Pinasco when the travel restrictions were threatened. I returned home quickly to avoid getting stuck abroad. Some friends have stayed there on the beach and say it's as good a place as any to social distance and the living is cheep. I certainly hope this virus blows over.

nivlayoccm said:
I had the same issue I was in Mexico camping at Puerto Pinasco when the travel restrictions were threatened. I returned home quickly to avoid getting stuck abroad. Some friends have stayed there on the beach and say it's as good a place as any to social distance and the living is cheep. I certainly hope this virus blows over.
I have been wondering about all the people that regularly go to Baja each year. Typically they head back north in March.

Patrick, Smoke, and Advmoto18, thanks for the well wishes. It is a chronic cancer and the chemo is indefinite, but it is allowing me to lead a mostly normal life. I plan to be around long enough to get lots of camping time in.

Good to hear you can lead a mostly normal life Ted.

My mom just went to the hospital and they wouldn't even let my dad go with her. Had to be tested for covid-19 before they'd do surgery. With her Alzheimers she doesn't understand whats going on. Sucks me and my brother can't be more supportive but we're fairly high risk to be carriers what with being around a lot of people at work.

I'd love to go play in the snow but I won't. Camping can wait. Its the least I can do.

At our house we had a rapid learning curve on the shelter in place protocols. I retired in October and will have to postpone wandering for a while. Meanwhile I've waxed all my skis and put them away as the season is over- even backcountry is over. Was going to try to summit Shasta and ski down with my son but that is not likely to be happening. I did replace brake pads/calipers on a couple vehicles including truck. Rotated tires/wheels. Waxed camper and Aerospace 303 on pop-up vinyl. Still going to pull out fly fishing gear and get it organized and ready. Going to setup archery range in backyard. Going to practice photography. Vegetable garden is underway. Hopefully won't run out of projects.

Back
Top Bottom