Hello, Ultra Breeze & Other Ventilation Questions..

This is my first real post on WTW so I would like to begin by thanking everyone for the wealth of useful advice that has already been posted; it is really helping us nail down our purchase.

Some background about us; we are aging out backpackers/ tent campers, who are looking to purchase a Hawk (front dinette). We are intending to use it for long-term/extended travels. We have spent quite a bit of time at the factory and are convinced that this is the ideal size/layout of FWC for us.

Our first instinct was to go basic; we've travelled fine(ish) without a fridge/ heater / hot water / shower etc. But it then hit us that by making the camper a little bit more comfortable, we could eliminate a lot (most?) of those horrible/pain in the neck motel 'respite breaks'. So we are looking at options more in terms of best case scenario vs going overboard in terms of weight/money (If that makes sense).

So today I am focused on ventilation... We are definitely going to have a standard 3-speed fan and additional vent over the bed. But would it be worth getting more than this at the outset? I am concerned about how comfortable it will be when it rains? We'll have to close the fans right? We are leaning towards not having a front window (leaking issues + overkill...) but will have a side awning - so presumably can keep one side window open if it is not too gusty...

i) How comfortable are you in your camper when it rains?

ii) Has anyone had any experience/insight with the Fantastic-Fan Ultrabreeze Vent Cover? It looks to me that it would serve a purpose - but the fact that I have not come across any talk about it on WTW makes me wonder.....

iii) I would like to double check; if we want to upgrade the vent later - even to 14 speed fan, it's super easy right? Just a question of unscrewing the vent on the inside of the camper and connecting up (Soldering??) a couple of wires????

Sorry for the wordy thesis - but would really appreciate any ideas/insight/answers that you can give....

(BTW if the couple who introduced us to WTW / FWC are reading this - we would love to get in touch... We met at Moro Rock, Sequoia in June... You spent a long time showing us your FWC and also introduced us to a lovely couple from overseas who were traveling with their baby......)

ForTravelsSake said:
Our first instinct was to go basic; we've travelled fine(ish) without a fridge/ heater / hot water / shower etc. But it then hit us that by making the camper a little bit more comfortable, we could eliminate a lot (most?) of those horrible/pain in the neck motel 'respite breaks'. So we are looking at options more in terms of best case scenario vs going overboard in terms of weight/money (If that makes sense).
Ignore your first instinct. Get the stuff you mention above. We were exactly the same. But we have all these options in our 2012 Hawk and are thankful.

For example, on our recent 3 week, 4300 mile odyssey I was planning to stay in a B & B every few days to give Sioux a "break". But honestly, we were so comfortable in the Hawk we only stayed in a motel two nights and that was only because I needed a solid internet and phone connection for a business meeting the next morning. Get the extra stuff... :)

Steve

PS We are analyzing our vent options right now on the new Hawk Flatbed model we have on order. (We did order the over the bed skylight but plan to have Denny replace it.) So I too will be interested in the responses...

The space inside a Hawk is too small to really enjoy being inside during a rainy day but we often deploy the side awning and either sit out under it or at least store stuff out of the wet. The side window is louvered so you could open it a good bit even without the awning under most rainy conditions. You can always open one or more turnbuckle vents to get some fresh air. Depending on conditions, you can crack the FF vent the minimum amount and run it without creating a puddle on your floor (or head). If you have a rear awning, I suppose you could leave the door open though the door's window shade could get wet.

We used to tent camp too and spent a couple of nights a week in motels to get a good shower and soft bed. We larded up our Hawk with a lot of goodies and have spent two weeks straight in it no problem.

Let us know what you decide.

Alan

ForTravelsSake,
We did a limited amount of camping pre-kids, 38+ years ago. Last year we visited the FWC Distributor in Wisconsin and shortly thereafter ordered our 2014 FWC Grandby. We picked it up last August 1st and have never looked back. We have the front dinette, stove with glass cover, sink, water pump, hot water heater, outdoor shower, furnace, 80L compressor fridge, 2 AGM batteries, 100W solar on roof, had FWC leave the cabinet doors off on the lower passenger side rear where we store our purchased Porta Potti. We also have the rear solar plug and purchased an 80W portable panel. Have fantastic fan over bed and 2nd vent in the rear, also 8' side awning, rear awning and artic pack.

We can't do the construction ourselves. Very happy with everything we ordered. I looked at vent cover but did purchase 1. Added too much height to camper.

John

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

We're very comfortable in our camper when it rains.

Lounging inside in the rain is no problem for my wife unit and myself, plus our two small dogs in our smaller ATC Bobcat. Looking out the front soft side windows if we're on the cab over bed is kind of neat at night with lightening all around us.

Our 12 speed, Fantastic Fan works great in a rain storm, cracked open just enough to let air flow, about 1" to 1-1/2" from closed, and no water comes in, even from the bounce up off the roof in a heavy rain. Standing outside I've seen the bounce up off the roof be up to 6"-8" high when it is really coming down. I don't think you'll need that higher vent thingy. I know I wouldn't want it on my roof as it would restrict my ability to carry my kayaks.

Open the turn buckle doors and you get plenty of air flow with the fan on.

Thank you all for your useful responses.

'just sit under the awning in the rain' Duhhhhhh! I am seriously overthinking this.....

However, great to hear that the Fantastic Fan can be cracked open a bit in the rain at night time. Also good to hear about the louvre windows. I had not noticed where the turnbuckle access ports were on the front dinette model; I can't imagine where they would be... Does anyone have an easy answer? (No biggie - I am sure that we will see them when we see them.

OK, so no vent cover for the time being. On to the next...

Thank you all as well for confirming that we are on the right track with regards to our expectations of how the camper will work of us. So exciting!

I shall be back!

My camper has fans in the front and rear. I find that I use the one over the bed more often than the rear one. It's nice to have a cool breeze when you're trying to sleep. If I was to order again I would just get the one over the bed and a vent in the rear.

Turnbuckle doors on my 2014 Hawk with front dinette are on either side near floor under cabinets. Quick photo taken by flashlight, LED reading light & under cabinet LEDs.
Passenger turnbuckle swings forward while driver side door drops down.

image.jpg

Hope it helps give you the general idea

Paul

I started out with just one fan and a vent in my Eagle, but soon converted the vent to another fan so now I have one both over the cooking area and one over the bed. Both are useful, especially if you plan to cook inside.

I use the front sliding window for ventilation, it is especially nice to have in the rain. I made a small screen for it and have not had any leaking issues.

I have a MaxxFan 5100. Had it fully open (exhaust, fan on medium) in driving rain without any water entry.

Louvered side windows work well for inflow during rain.

jim

The forward turn buckles are under each dinette seat in my Grandby, think that is the same in the Hawk with front dinette. The covers are on the horizontal shelf under each seat and they just lift off.

longhorn1 said:
The forward turn buckles are under each dinette seat in my Grandby, think that is the same in the Hawk with front dinette. The covers are on the horizontal shelf under each seat and they just lift off.

+1. They are under the dinette seats and are not really viable options for what you're looking for. But as others have already stated, between the vents, fans, windows, and turnbuckle doors, there is plenty of airflow.

Best advice I got while shopping for my FWC: If you're going to want it down the road, get it now. Splurge a little. You'll get the use out of it right away instead of buying a project (unless that's what you're looking for). FWC has things pretty well figured out - let them run wires and everything while it's being built. I've been completely happy with every add-on.

We have no problem in the rain.I have"storm flaps" on my windows and with the PVC props I made to keep the flap open it keeps the rain out and works great for sunny days as a shade.
Now I realize the newer FWCs don't have "storm flaps" on the windows.IMO that was a big mistake by the company. They are so useful.
Oh well I guess that's one more reason I have a ATC Bobcat.
Frank

PaulT
Thank you so very much for taking the time to take the photos of your turnbuckle access points. I really appreciate it. (Just to supplement your photo for the next person who comes along looking for this info - here's a great overview photo that BQSTALKUP posted on WTW - I completely overlooked it until you explained it with your photo....)

index.php

There seems to be a discrepancy between your set up and that of ribs (and longhorn1 in his Grandby). Maybe there has been a tweak in the design? (I'll update this thread when we get ours....)

But point taken; sleeping in the rain will not be an issue wrt ventilation.

Stalking Light - we are going to go in your (and other's) direction with the 3 speed at the back (it is likely that we will be cooking inside on occasion) and upgrading to a 13 speed over the bed. We went for the 13 speed because of all the feedback in WTW about how much better it is to have the lower speeds overnight in terms of reduced noise and breeze (and probably electricity usage). I was veering towards just waiting to see if we would really needed it; they look like they are really straightforward to upgrade to from the static vents. Financially it is pretty close to a wash once you have had FWC installing the vent and then buying a fan online, but I was reluctant to 'overload' our upgrades. However, taking onboard all of the advice in this thread, and knowing that my husband will probably insist on upgrading the fan after the first trip -this seems like the way to go.

Other thought processes that we have had regarding options, in case any one else is interested...

• Front Dinette, Double Fans and Side Awning as mentioned before.
  • Strut Assists, Furnace, Hot Water and Outdoor shower were sure things based on the upgraded 'comfort' threshold. I can't even take a shower at home without soaking the whole bathroom, so the indoor shower was a non-starter; the Cassette toilet took away too much storage, and tbh - I think that I would prefer using an outdoors tent. BTW longhorn1 your idea of leaving the bottom doors off for the portapotty gave food for thought. I came down on 'out of sight, out of mind' either stowed away or in its own tent - but will let you know how that works out.
  • Jack Brackets only. To prevent it being drowned out. I am going to ask questions about this in a separate post......
  • No Upgraded exterior/interior Upgraded Exterior does look nicer, but I'm not 'cool' enough, that it would make a difference to me. IRL I really like the improvements that FWC have made to their standard interiors; very light and bright; almost Ikeaish. Personally, I prefer them over the Silver Spur interior. The interior fabric was a different thing. Initially I was planning to make new cushion covers myself in some light and airy outdoor fabric. But a couple of people on WTW made the point about the stock fabrics being better for hiding the dirt/dog hair - and I think that they are right. I also had doubts about the curtains; I don't think one really needs them with the front dinette and I was thinking about using Reflectix pieces at nights or something like the blinds affixed with velcro in the photo above. But after discussing this with FWC I realized that we would still be paying for them and they have been 'trial and erroring' these for years - so if they have moved on from the old style there is probably a good reason for it.
  • ​No Flush-mount Appliances To me, they seem to be too deeply inset if you want to use a skillet / 2 pans etc. I also think with the Front dinette model there is enough counter space for our needs above the fridge & closet; and using the table.
  • 80L 2-way Fridge The FWC video really helped us with this decision. We liked the minimal electricity requirement of the propane fridge, but came to the conclusion that the temperature monitoring is something that we wouldn't be very good at. Also liked the idea of having a freezer to keep frozen ice-packs and thus prolong cooling should we run low on power. The size took a lot of thought; compared to the size of the ice box that we have been using, we could probably get away with the 65l 2-way. However, that would probably involve having to keep the fridge open for longer periods of time while we rummage through for things (power drain). What finally swung it for me was that we could still have a (reduced size) top loading storage space (which I love) above the 80l.
  • ​Yes Yakima Tracks and Wall Steps This is the one where we really heeded the advice given in this thread. As planned, and apart from making it easier to mount solar panels, we really don't have any use for them. But it is really easy to envision a situation where that could change. Should this happen it really would be a pain /expense to upgrade.
  • ​Yes External LED; No to the Rear flood lights or Fluorescent Lights. After watching this FWC video on LED lighting, my husband wanted to get the external LEDs. I would have been fine with candle/ lantern / side awning light / rear entry lights, but then again, taking into consideration the feedback in this thread and knowing that he is more conscious of /able to create ambience with lighting we put that on this list. I recalled a poster on WTW noting how useful the rear flood lights were for him because of hunting etc - so it did make us think. But ultimately came to the conclusion that we could do without. Someone else mentioned that the internal fluorescent lights had a nicer glow (?). Again, that is not something that I would notice, and my husband preferred the LEDs for their power usage.
  • No Front Window. Thanks Stalking Light for setting me straight about your front window not leaking and also providing improved ventilation. I guess that I came to the conclusion that it would be 'one extra thing', and this thread has reassured me that there would be enough ventilation without it. And I quite like the cleaner look on the front wall (to hang a map?)

• No Rear Awning. We certainly would want something for when it is raining, but felt torn because the FWC looked to be overkill for our needs. I spent hours pouring over different ideas folks had come up with on WTW... (I also really liked the look of something like this that would double as a shower room ). Then Mike pointed out that the drip rail over the back door incorporates a grip that would make it really easy to rig up an awning with a tarp that has some rope threaded through one of the hems. So I shall put that on my project list and let you know.

• Yes Battery System and Roof Solar; No Rear Solar. We shall provide two higher volt batteries. I mention this last, but it was the most important decision to us. My husband spent hours and hours pouring over the detailed descriptions and explanations on WTW. They were so very helpful. He came to the conclusion that, with some effort and (a lot) more research, he could probably build a more effective, and future-proof, system for the money. But he ultimately came to the conclusion that with his lack of experience, and us wanting to get on the road as soon a possible after delivery of our FWC, we would be better for us to get the FWC set-up. He has asked FWC to leave out the batteries, and he shall be installing a couple of higher voltage ones...
Which leads us to the exciting news that we actually put the order in today!! Honestly, I have to admit that it is a bit sudden for me. But then again, I am such an over-analyzer and procrastinator, that left to my own devices, I would probably be still here in 2 years time mulling things over. Better to go camping right!

So thank you so much to everyone who has responded to me on this thread, as well those who have left useful info (and eye candy) on the WTW forum. I can't tell you how much it has eased and informed my decision making process.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
We have no problem in the rain.I have"storm flaps" on my windows and with the PVC props I made to keep the flap open it keeps the rain out and works great for sunny days as a shade.
Now I realize the newer FWCs don't have "storm flaps" on the windows.IMO that was a big mistake by the company. They are so useful.
Oh well I guess that's one more reason I have a ATC Bobcat.
Frank
Funny that you should mention this. When I first saw the FWC video outlining the updates they had made to their window flaps I thought that it was a no-brainer improvement. Then I came across one of the threads with the window awning mods and it really hit me how each design choice has its pros and cons. I can see how your set up could be preferable in the rain.

Very cool on the order. My next big trip in a couple of weeks will take me by the factory where I will get my 20# gas struts replaced with 30# ones, so maybe I will see the beginnings of your rig. :)

ForTravelsSake said:
PaulT
Thank you so very much for taking the time to take the photos of your turnbuckle access points. I really appreciate it. (Just to supplement your photo for the next person who comes along looking for this info - here's a great overview photo that BQSTALKUP posted on WTW - I completely overlooked it until you explained it with your photo....)

index.php

There seems to be a discrepancy between your set up and that of ribs (and longhorn1 in his Grandby). Maybe there has been a tweak in the design? (I'll update this thread when we get ours....)

But point taken; sleeping in the rain will not be an issue wrt ventilation.

Stalking Light - we are going to go in your (and other's) direction with the 3 speed at the back (it is likely that we will be cooking inside on occasion) and upgrading to a 13 speed over the bed. We went for the 13 speed because of all the feedback in WTW about how much better it is to have the lower speeds overnight in terms of reduced noise and breeze (and probably electricity usage). I was veering towards just waiting to see if we would really needed it; they look like they are really straightforward to upgrade to from the static vents. Financially it is pretty close to a wash once you have had FWC installing the vent and then buying a fan online, but I was reluctant to 'overload' our upgrades. However, taking onboard all of the advice in this thread, and knowing that my husband will probably insist on upgrading the fan after the first trip -this seems like the way to go.

Other thought processes that we have had regarding options, in case any one else is interested...

• Front Dinette, Double Fans and Side Awning as mentioned before.
  • Strut Assists, Furnace, Hot Water and Outdoor shower were sure things based on the upgraded 'comfort' threshold. I can't even take a shower at home without soaking the whole bathroom, so the indoor shower was a non-starter; the Cassette toilet took away too much storage, and tbh - I think that I would prefer using an outdoors tent. BTW longhorn1 your idea of leaving the bottom doors off for the portapotty gave food for thought. I came down on 'out of sight, out of mind' either stowed away or in its own tent - but will let you know how that works out.
  • Jack Brackets only. To prevent it being drowned out. I am going to ask questions about this in a separate post......
  • No Upgraded exterior/interior Upgraded Exterior does look nicer, but I'm not 'cool' enough, that it would make a difference to me. IRL I really like the improvements that FWC have made to their standard interiors; very light and bright; almost Ikeaish. Personally, I prefer them over the Silver Spur interior. The interior fabric was a different thing. Initially I was planning to make new cushion covers myself in some light and airy outdoor fabric. But a couple of people on WTW made the point about the stock fabrics being better for hiding the dirt/dog hair - and I think that they are right. I also had doubts about the curtains; I don't think one really needs them with the front dinette and I was thinking about using Reflectix pieces at nights or something like the blinds affixed with velcro in the photo above. But after discussing this with FWC I realized that we would still be paying for them and they have been 'trial and erroring' these for years - so if they have moved on from the old style there is probably a good reason for it.
  • ​No Flush-mount Appliances To me, they seem to be too deeply inset if you want to use a skillet / 2 pans etc. I also think with the Front dinette model there is enough counter space for our needs above the fridge & closet; and using the table.
  • 80L 2-way Fridge The FWC video really helped us with this decision. We liked the minimal electricity requirement of the propane fridge, but came to the conclusion that the temperature monitoring is something that we wouldn't be very good at. Also liked the idea of having a freezer to keep frozen ice-packs and thus prolong cooling should we run low on power. The size took a lot of thought; compared to the size of the ice box that we have been using, we could probably get away with the 65l 2-way. However, that would probably involve having to keep the fridge open for longer periods of time while we rummage through for things (power drain). What finally swung it for me was that we could still have a (reduced size) top loading storage space (which I love) above the 80l.
  • ​Yes Yakima Tracks and Wall Steps This is the one where we really heeded the advice given in this thread. As planned, and apart from making it easier to mount solar panels, we really don't have any use for them. But it is really easy to envision a situation where that could change. Should this happen it really would be a pain /expense to upgrade.
  • ​Yes External LED; No to the Rear flood lights or Fluorescent Lights. After watching this FWC video on LED lighting, my husband wanted to get the external LEDs. I would have been fine with candle/ lantern / side awning light / rear entry lights, but then again, taking into consideration the feedback in this thread and knowing that he is more conscious of /able to create ambience with lighting we put that on this list. I recalled a poster on WTW noting how useful the rear flood lights were for him because of hunting etc - so it did make us think. But ultimately came to the conclusion that we could do without. Someone else mentioned that the internal fluorescent lights had a nicer glow (?). Again, that is not something that I would notice, and my husband preferred the LEDs for their power usage.
  • No Front Window. Thanks Stalking Light for setting me straight about your front window not leaking and also providing improved ventilation. I guess that I came to the conclusion that it would be 'one extra thing', and this thread has reassured me that there would be enough ventilation without it. And I quite like the cleaner look on the front wall (to hang a map?)

• No Rear Awning. We certainly would want something for when it is raining, but felt torn because the FWC looked to be overkill for our needs. I spent hours pouring over different ideas folks had come up with on WTW... (I also really liked the look of something like this that would double as a shower room ). Then Mike pointed out that the drip rail over the back door incorporates a grip that would make it really easy to rig up an awning with a tarp that has some rope threaded through one of the hems. So I shall put that on my project list and let you know.

• Yes Battery System and Roof Solar; No Rear Solar. We shall provide two higher volt batteries. I mention this last, but it was the most important decision to us. My husband spent hours and hours pouring over the detailed descriptions and explanations on WTW. They were so very helpful. He came to the conclusion that, with some effort and (a lot) more research, he could probably build a more effective, and future-proof, system for the money. But he ultimately came to the conclusion that with his lack of experience, and us wanting to get on the road as soon a possible after delivery of our FWC, we would be better for us to get the FWC set-up. He has asked FWC to leave out the batteries, and he shall be installing a couple of higher voltage ones...
Which leads us to the exciting news that we actually put the order in today!! Honestly, I have to admit that it is a bit sudden for me. But then again, I am such an over-analyzer and procrastinator, that left to my own devices, I would probably be still here in 2 years time mulling things over. Better to go camping right!

So thank you so much to everyone who has responded to me on this thread, as well those who have left useful info (and eye candy) on the WTW forum. I can't tell you how much it has eased and informed my decision making process.
Well thought out. If you go to my blog and I think click on My Build you will see what we did with the porta potti. We pulled the 3 small screws from the bottom of the face plate (required a different screw driver to remove), slid a thin piece of aluminum under the face plate, cut the bottom cabinet face plate off just inside the 2 outer screws, re-fastened the outer screws, caulked the hole for the middle screw and now can slide the porta potti in and out. Curtain rod and curtain to conceal and a curtain rod to prevent it from sliding. Bought the Thetford Curve, which is close to height of home toilet. We did get the glass cover over the stove, but not the sink. No issues with cooking anything and extra counter space, well worth it. 2 AGM batteries and factory installed 100W Zamp solar and controller with rear plug for later. Bought the 80W Zamp portable without controller this April so now have 180W solar. All LED lighting inside and outside, including the 4 corner lights on the underside of the camper. Great for finding your camper in the dark. No front window. did order the Yakima rails but cancelled them. The 2 AGM batteries that were installed have worked great. I use a CPAP machine and with the 80L fridge we have never had a problem even after 2 straight days of rain. We love the side awning. The rear awning is a PITA. If its going to rain, we put it up. We usually don't stay more than a couple of days in one camp ground. Our thought process was well thought out like both of you. Got a lot of great input from Sean Dempsey, the Wisconsin distributor. I bought a small tent for showers, but haven't taken it out of the box since we just don't stay in a place where it would be practical. I did get the rear flood lights and we are glad we did, easy to see at night. Can't wait to see pictures. John

I believe the turn buckle doors are the same in the Hawk and Grandy with front dinette. Paul only mentioned the rear ones under the cabinets, I believe as an option for additional ventilation. The front ones are under each dinette seat. Neither of us were really clear. Hope this clarifies things.

Sounds like you've thought things out pretty well. Now comes the hard part - waiting...

Use the time to plan a great trip. You're going to love it.

Alan

A well thought out order. Much of your thinking parallels what Sioux and I ordered for our Flatbed Hawk.

However, we "diverge" on the outside shower versus inside shower. Even with our shower tent INVARIABLY a "cool breeze" (from Siberia) comes up just as Sioux scampers inside the tent. We converted our inside sink faucet into an inside shower option and it has been great. No problems splashing either.)

Congratulations!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom