Highest Drivable Elevations in California?

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
The highest point I've ever driven is in the White Mountains (California), at the locked gate on the White Mt. Rd, the trailhead for the hike to the summit (camped there, too).
That point is at about 11,700 feet elevation.
gallery_2431_103_53694.jpg

So...it came into my head that I wonder what higher places are there that can be driven to in California.

Anybody know of higher drivable locations? Drivable in my truck-camper rig? Preferably places that WTW folks have actually been... Extra value for a location that has a spot to camp. :)

I'm not looking for faint 4x4 tracks up a mountainside made by an old miner or modern-day yahoo, just looking for non-closed, apparently "legal" roads. But not excluding 4x4 routes if they're established -- something that shows up on a map.

Could be that there are a bunch of well-known spots, but since I haven't lived in the Golden State in 36 years and usually only spend a week or two camped there each year I'm not that familiar with it. Also, I suspect that there are more/many in Colorado...but that's a ways out of my usual territory, not looking that far.

If you know of such a spot but don't want to post it to the world, feel free to send me a PM, and I'll keep it secret. :)

(I'm sure I could find leads in a web search...but I'm interested in places of which WTW folks have personal knowledge)

When I read your post title your location in the Whites is the first thing that came to my mind. I haven't personally driven anywhere higher. The second highest that I can recall driving was "across the way" at Coyote Flats which I believe was somewhere around 10,800, maybe even 11,000' if memory serves correctly. I too would be curious to know if there is anyplace higher.

Been both of those places. Other places like at trail heads that are around 10,000 feet between Bishop and Lone Pine. Saddlebag lake up Tioga pass is at 10,000 feet.

ski3pin said:
I believe the White Mountain Road is open to the research station (12400) Labor Day Weekend....
So I've heard... Apparently they had two days of open house at the Barcroft Station this year -- July 27 and August 31.

Not only that...but when I was last there, mid-October 2012, their "locked gate" seemed to be operating on the honor system. :unsure:
Check out the weak link in the system, in this photo I took at the time:
White-Mt-Gate-1.jpg :LOL:
Nevertheless, I honored the intent of their not-really-locked gate. ;)

Interesting question. I'm trying to recall fire lookout's I've visited.

Wheeler Peak in Nevada has a campground at about 10,000'. I think I'd have a headache if I slept at that elevation. At least for the first night. Independence Pass in Colorado is 12,095 on a nice paved road. Highest I've been (in elevation ;) ) on a decent road is Pike's Peak. That may be the highest 'real' road in the country.

084.JPG

In Colorado Pikes Peak is 14115 and Mt. Evans is 14271, you can drive to the top of both. I wonder if someone has done both in one day?

What got me thinking on this topic was pondering where I'd head after The Rally for a few days.

I really like the White Mts -- the next door neighbor to the Sierras, but much less visited and much less known by "outsiders"....and yet, White Mt Peak is the third highest peak in California. And apparently -- so far in this Topic -- the Whites are the highest place you can drive in California.

That spot at the trailhead for White Mountain Peak (the trailhead 99% of the time when you can't drive to Barcroft Station) is particularly remarkable for me, as an Oregon resident. That highest place you can drive in California is actually higher than any point in Oregon.

And I like that it's mostly free of view-blocking vegetation -- magnificent views from the crest to the east and the west. There are the iconic groves of bristlecone pines...but they're tastefully sparse. ;)

So after thinking about the beloved White Mts I wondered if there was some other very high -- possibly higher -- spot I could drive to in the general region and camp there.

Not near as high, only 9800 feet, but consider the saddle above the Queen Mine on the north end of the Whites. Photos can be found here-

Trip Report

Hike up the ridge to the west (not that far of a walk) and there are bristlecone pines, mule deer, bighorn, and feral horses. We enjoyed the views.

But this is in Nevada. Hope you don't mind.

ski3pin said:
Not near as high, only 9800 feet, but consider the saddle above the Queen Mine on the north end of the Whites. Photos can be found here-

Trip Report

Hike up the ridge to the west (not that far of a walk) and there are bristlecone pines, mule deer, bighorn, and feral horses. We enjoyed the views.

But this is in Nevada. Hope you don't mind.
Hmmm...that's an idea. I remember reading your description from the Boundary Peak hike...looks like a cool spot -- one I haven't been to yet. Thanks.

Lighthawk said:
Thanks Jack. That was the report I remembered. Pretty cool you took your inlaws up an 11k peak.
Thank you.

Yeah, they are still pretty adventurous and willing to put up with my more extreme locations to include the Black Rock, which they really enjoy.

Jack

Try the Horseshoe Meadow road off the Whitney Portal road in Lone Pine. Wonderful, paved ride, over 10,000 ft, camping facilities, multiple trailheads into Sierras.

Does anyone know of any good off-road trails in the Lake Tahoe area? I'm not looking for anything too hardcore, just something with some good grades and scenery that a stock 4x4 Grand Cherokee can handle.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom