Hot water heater - necessary or luxury?

I have a 2022 Hawk...the hot water heater and outside hot shower is the BEST money I EVER spent...being able to take a hot shower after hiking and hunting is a game changer.

being able to take a hot shower after hiking ... is a game changer.
Oh Yeah, this is the way.

We run a bunch. And hike a bunch. So we get downright filthy. So we both enjoy a nice quick rinse every day. And we're usually within a water source every few days, so fill-ups are easy because we plan on them anyway. Even if I didn't use the shower it's a dealbreaker for my spouse to get a shower every day. No Shower=Me camping alone.

Many an evening for us spent relaxing, listening to the coyotes sing as we sip wine and say to ourselves "that was a great shower."

This will be the 5th year coming up and I hope and pray the heater/shower unit keeps working as we absolutely love it.

“Being able to take a hot shower after hiking … is a game changer”.

I fully agree with this, but a water heater is not the only way to achieve this. To me the question is whether you want to buy, house, and maintain a camper water heater for this and for dish washing versus heating it on a stove and using a shower bag or a pitcher for dishwashing. My wife likes the running hot water at the flip of a switch, but is ok with me otherwise setting her up. I would have foregone the water heater and heated water on a stove when I needed it. As long as I set her up with warm shower water and adequate privacy, she’s happy.

BigRanchInSky said:
Oh Yeah, this is the way.

We run a bunch. And hike a bunch. So we get downright filthy. So we both enjoy a nice quick rinse every day. And we're usually within a water source every few days, so fill-ups are easy because we plan on them anyway. Even if I didn't use the shower it's a dealbreaker for my spouse to get a shower every day. No Shower=Me camping alone.

Many an evening for us spent relaxing, listening to the coyotes sing as we sip wine and say to ourselves "that was a great shower."

This will be the 5th year coming up and I hope and pray the heater/shower unit keeps working as we absolutely love it.
Do you use a shower tent outside, or some other method?

We use a shower tent, something I never would have got on my own but it’s pretty great, especially in cooler weather. It keeps the bugs and wind away, and heats up in the sun like a greenhouse. The solar effect makes a shower at the end of the day feel luxurious and un-rushed when it would otherwise be kinda nippy. We actually take two pop-up shelters with us, one for showers and the other for the latrine. I’d rather not bother with the latrine tent, but it makes my wife and teenage daughters more comfortable, which means we get to go on adventures more often. More adventures is ultimately the biggest value for me.

Here’s a link to the pop-up tents we use. I got them for about $30 each as like-new Amazon warehouse deals. https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Pop-Privacy-Shelte-x48/dp/B079WBZ1HV

Have a tricked out 2022 Hawk that i bought new...the hot water/ shower is a game changer...best $ i ever spent

I have hot water in my trailer and depending on my water situation I optionally fill the heater, IE even on a trailer with space, an indoor shower and large water tanks its not a given I'll use the water heater. I have ZERO desire for one in a truck camper for my usage, but I'm also not going to even install a fixed water tank (I'll use removable jugs to connect to the plumbing). They take up space when not being used, are harder to clean/winterize, add complexity, etc. For a truck camper I'd rather have storage space to store an auxiliary water heater if I really wanted something like that on a specific trip and I'd leave it at home on other trips.

On my last trip the non hot water guys cleaned up in the lake. I enjoyed a hot shower.
Do you shower indoors or outside? I can't readily imagine wanting to shower in a popup truck camper despite that being an offering. If showering outside it seems a minor difference to use a portable shower vs one always occupying built in space. Just my thoughts.

Before I rule out a hot water heater from my project build, I thought I would ask the FWC community for feedback. Do you have one? If not, do you wish you had one? If no, what do you do for hot water? Do you get by fine without one using available campground facilities or other onboard heat methods?

In my build weight is a constant consideration. Carrying around 85 pounds and 2 cuft. of anything must meet a real and constant need. Even when in my Class A motorhome with a 10 gal hot water heater, we shut it off and only turn it on when showering or are doing laundry. Residual heat usually keeps the water temp sufficient for face and hand washing. My wife uses the microwave to heat a cup of water or a washcloth.

In the project build, I am thinking a tea kettle on the stove will do me fine, but there are those days a hot shower feels so good. What are your thoughts and experiences? Thanks.

Boonie
We went for years in a sailboat with out hot water heater. Just used a bug sprayer as shower heat a pot of water and voila 2 showers in a 2 gallon sprayer. Did the same in our Northstar tc650..Now we have a Northstar 850 sc and the jury is still out. We are in late 60's and maybe will use it. But all the years without were great!

Hot water = Happy wife!
+ 1 to this!

To us, hot showers are truly a game changer. After just a quick one, my wife is beaming with radiance, smiles, renewed vigor and she ready and willing to extend our stay and keep the adventure going! The on-demand unit takes up very little space/weight, yet offers a wealth of benefits.

Check out Rinsekit Portable Showers. RinseKit® Portable Showers // Keep You & Your Gear Clean Anywhere
Spendy, but super nifty. A God-send for rinsing off after long, dirty days, surfing in remote locales, etc.

Solar showers are great if you have time to let the water heat in the sun, but that is not always convenient.
There are several sizes and options of Rinsekits. The unit is pressurized via a simple built-in hand pump so need not be concerned about hanging anything overhead to achieve a gravity feed. Nozzle can easily be hooked on most anything, or hand-held.

These systems are robust and well-made. I have an older Pro with the heating wand. Fill with water, screw the wand into the top of the unit and plug into 12V to heat water in the unit while driving (or when in camp) and have several gallons of hot water at the ready.

Update: It looks like the units now have a battery-operated pressure system instead of the hand-pump like on my older model.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom