How in the world to camp in the Midwest and avoid ticks?

Nexguard (and Heartguard) can be bought online. I buy them through 1800petmeds.com, but there are other online stores. The "store" contacts your vet for the first order -- you just fill out the form online. With two dogs and two cats, I was always running out of something for some animal. Online is easier and faster than going to to the vet's office every month.

Some nurses around here will tell you to dab a little alcohol on the tick and he or she should back out . I remember h e double hockey sticks. Stay cool. Mid 90's and higher humidity tomorrow.

Thanks for the 1800petmeds recommendation! I'll check it out.

Hi Mitch! You are about 4.5 hrs from me now. I think we might need a midWtW gathering!
And yeah, I'm thinking I'll just stay inside until November. :D
Camper has a furnace, so I'll be good for winter campering here.

With ticks the important thing is to get all the tick. Its fairly easy to get the body and leave the head behind. Gross as they are take your time getting them out. You can torture them later.

When I was a kid I think we used to heat method often to get them to back out, and used tweezers. It was a constant fear to leave the heads in. That's so double gross!

Hi allanb! Thanks! Not sure how I'll fare in the heat+humidity once we get deeper into summer. Yikes.
Unfortunately, the IBM facility here is fairly sparse. It's out in an industrial park, and does not have any indoor entertainment like that. We do have a ping pong table and some kind of shuffleboard contraption. We do get gym membership discount tho and I need to look into that.

This is all great information and reinforces all I've learned about bugs with drinking straws on there face and a nose on there legs. About all I can add is to be aware of the poorly manufactured mostly unreliable applicators. The pump sprayers seem to always leak,aresol cans are better leak wise,but take up more space for the volume of product.

Single application packaging is better but higher cost, and they too can easily be damaged in a pack or drawer. I'm willing to spend more for a container I could put in a drawer, rattle down a washboard road, and know when it is almost empty instead of finding it dry after 2 uses :).

It is amazing that these blood thirsty little demons seem to live so long without a meal.

That might be fun when it cools down a little. My wife doing a little chemo for awhile, so hard to make any plans for now. I know she's disappointed we can't go west this fall. Mitch

Yikes! I'm so sorry, Mitch. Please send along my healthy, healing hugs to her (and sorry for the alliteration :) )
Then we definitely should have something when it cools down - something for all of us to look forward to!

Hello all, I'm looking at a bottle of 3M Ultrathon insect repellent. The active ingredient is Permethrin at 0.50% and it is for the treatment of clothing and gear. A couple of years ago I noticed that the local feed store had Permethrin in 32oz bottles at a higher concentration. There was a dilution chart on the label that showed how to dilute it to 0.50%. I bought a bottle and have been making my own refill at a fraction of the cost of the 3M or Sawyer. I spray my boots and pants and let it dry. one treatment lasts a long time. 2 ticks last year and 1 this year and we live in prime tick country. The key is tick checking every day too.
Get out and enjoy, Bigfoot Dave, Duluth, MN

I'm in Wyoming and do a lot of fly fishing, so I find myself bush whacking along rivers quite a bit. Even wearing long pants and sleeves, I got a tick. Ugh. They're big buggers here. I guess they're not the type that carries Lyme disease. I just pulled it off with tweezers. I seem to be OK. I'll have to start using more bug spray.

Nylon gaiters may be goofy looking but so are all those clingy fuzzy ball things that catch on my pants and socks (and they are hard to get off) when I'm lurking for a duck shot. I would guess they would help with ticks also though they seem to be able to get anywhere they want if you don't see them.....
I'm gonna look for the pyrethrin stuff. I've never used that before :)

They are goofy looking. But used a pair for the first time on 5 off trail day hikes recently. And they were great. No more stickers poking at the ankles. Probably won't bother if on trail, or desert pavement. But if brushy or little blood suckers around, they are the ticket. I used " dirty girl" brand, just because recommended by long distance hikers, and didn't want to shop around.

Back
Top Bottom