How is this for a power system? Solar vs battery balance?

One issue I see with your proposed set up is that the Victron 100/30 charge controller has a limit of 440 watts of solar, for a 12Volt system. See the specs on the 100/30. So even your 540 watt total of solar panels would exceed the limits of the Victron 100/30. If you want that much solar, you might need a bigger controller, perhaps the Victron 100/50 might do the trick?

Nothing wrong with a little overkill but you may not need as much as you think. I've found three hours of sun a day cover my needs and I'm not being conservative with my usage.

thanks. :)

Being in the Midwest now.... lots of grey skies , rain, and non-CA skies, especially in winter, and the big 12v fridge is a bit of a power pig. 4.4 amp hours when running, i seem to recall. Yikes.

so leaning towards overkill, indeed. :)

craig333 said:
Nothing wrong with a little overkill but you may not need as much as you think. I've found three hours of sun a day cover my needs and I'm not being conservative with my usage.

Overkill, with panels, can be an issue if you do not “overkill” everywhere. Your entire system needs to be balanced. I would recommend you do not use Hallmark, as your #1, for solar guidance. #1 should probably be Battleborn, how do you keep your $$$ Batteries safe from harm? #2 should be Grape Solar as to their recommendation for a balanced system. Call & talk to several folks in the Solar or LiFePo4 business.
#3, have you considered how much weight, in panels, will be on your Camper roof? I looked & did not consider you were talking glass panels. They weigh 25.65 lbs/panel. 3 panels is 77 lbs. 4 panels is 102.6 lbs, ouch. How are you lifting up your Camper roof? That is some weight. If you really need that much W, consider Flex panels, higher W Flex do exist if you research. One more thought, electrical guru could answer, or Solar expert, how many panels can you wire in parallel, issue free, safely? 4 seems like a lot of possible added wiring. Not sure if they make a 4 in 1 plug. There is a 3 in 1. I’d suggest 3 panels with a larger Victron. 540W really is a ton.
Sorry last $.02, my FWC has a rear exterior wall solar plug. I carry a 100W flex portable, never used yet, to add W to my roof, when needed. Flex 120W x 2 on roof. (My Shell, buildout usage, is lower 12V only) You will still need a capable controller to handle your greatest, max W output. If everything is run in parallel, it is a simple plug & play. With enough cable you can better position a portable in the Sun too.

Thanks for the thoughts. Great to read. :)

Just to educate myself, I spoke with a Victron person, and they are very helpful

I think we will likely go with an all Victron system. 100% Victron, for a bunch of reasons.

I will say that Hallmark have been very kind, patient, and helpful, and really do want to work with us to build the camper that we dream of.

from what I know, the Hallmark roofs are incredibly strong. We will be fine with 4 Grape solar panels. Hallmark said so. I will double check with them, of course.

They make a very strong, and sophisticated laminated fiberglass product.

and... in the midwest here, when cloudy / grey / rainy..... fall winter spring.... 540 watts wont be a ton, especially with the heater and fridge running all the time. We almost always boondock, so will need lots of solar. I would rather have more solar, and almost never use the backup generator. I hate generators. :)

just my 2c.
Stokeme said:
Overkill, with panels, can be an issue if you do not “overkill” everywhere. Your entire system needs to be balanced. I would recommend you do not use Hallmark, as your #1, for solar guidance. #1 should probably be Battleborn, how do you keep your $$$ Batteries safe from harm? #2 should be Grape Solar as to their recommendation for a balanced system. Call & talk to several folks in the Solar or LiFePo4 business.
#3, have you considered how much weight, in panels, will be on your Camper roof? I looked & did not consider you were talking glass panels. They weigh 25.65 lbs/panel. 3 panels is 77 lbs. 4 panels is 102.6 lbs, ouch. How are you lifting up your Camper roof? That is some weight. If you really need that much W, consider Flex panels, higher W Flex do exist if you research. One more thought, electrical guru could answer, or Solar expert, how many panels can you wire in parallel, issue free, safely? 4 seems like a lot of possible added wiring. Not sure if they make a 4 in 1 plug. There is a 3 in 1. I’d suggest 3 panels with a larger Victron. 540W really is a ton.
Sorry last $.02, my FWC has a rear exterior wall solar plug. I carry a 100W flex portable, never used yet, to add W to my roof, when needed. Flex 120W x 2 on roof. (My Shell, buildout usage, is lower 12V only) You will still need a capable controller to handle your greatest, max W output. If everything is run in parallel, it is a simple plug & play. With enough cable you can better position a portable in the Sun too.

Great that you put in the research. Happened to be looking for tire info just now. The weight issue, I brought up, was not whether your roof could handle the 77-106 lbs. I think FWC can handle 150-200 lbs? Hallmark more? It was about popping open, & up, the top of your roof. How will you be lifting your roof? Have you tried to lift a roof carrying that much weight? Have they discussed that with you? It might be difficult, inquire.

Thumbs up to video below!

I will be getting the "super manual" roof lift.

Hallmark says to use a 20v Dewalt brushless Lithium drill, and it works great. Drill costs about $120 or so.

Here is an example with a guy with a less powerful drill.

cool, eh? :)

The built in power lift roof costs an extra $3,800 and I dont want the added cost and complexity.

Stokeme said:
Great that you put in the research. Happened to be looking for tire info just now. The weight issue, I brought up, was not whether your roof could handle the 77-106 lbs. I think FWC can handle 150-200 lbs? Hallmark more? It was about popping open, & up, the top of your roof. How will you be lifting your roof? Have you tried to lift a roof carrying that much weight? Have they discussed that with you? It might be difficult, inquire.

Many boats have solar arrays capable of generating over 500 W. A recommendation in marine installations that I think is worth consideration for a large RV/Camper solar install is to use multiple solar charge controllers. Then feed the outputs to a single input to the battery.

Here is a reference:

You can skip to about 19 minutes in to hear about using multiple charge controllers.

Dividing up the work over multiple controllers ensures you don't lose all power if a controller fails.
It also gives benefits relative to mitigation of shading effects (or degradation/loss of a panel) same as on a boat.

Back
Top Bottom