I got my granby today

Machinebuilder

I picked it up at O’Neil Overland & Mercantile today IMG_1849.JPG

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Great news! Let's see some more pix!!!
I plan on it, tomorrow I start loading some camping gear and plan my customizing. It’s been a long day and I forgot what Atlanta traffic is like

Congrats machinebulider on your Grandby. Where’s the first camper trip planned for?
Welcome to WtW don’t be a stranger we’ll ike trip reports. Hint, hint

So far its working out very well.

The Truck is a 2011 F150, 5.0V8, 4x4, 3.73 gears, extended cab, 8'bed, heavy payload. the payload capacity is 2300lbs.

the Camper is a Granby shell, with the Fiamma Awing, rollover couch, jacks, and arctic pack. The camper tag says 975lbs.

That leaves me with about 1500lbs,

Quick measurements at the wheel wells shows about a 1" drop on the front and 1.5 on the rear.

I am planning to build a motorcycle carrier for m Suzuki DR350 that I can open the camper door with the bike on it.

Today I am getting some of my camping gear moved in and starting some customizing.

CougarCouple said:
Congrats machinebulider on your Grandby. Where’s the first camper trip planned for?
Welcome to WtW don’t be a stranger we’ll ike trip reports. Hint, hint
I'm going to start local, (Southern Appalachia), the first longer trip will probably be Arkansas to visit my Mom.

I;m not good at trip reports............I have good intentions but fail miserably.

The camper tag is not always accurate because it is not the weight fully configured, if I remember correctly. The camper should have come with a slip of paper listing the shipping weight. There are a lot of threads on here - do a search or go get the truck weighed.

Machinebuilder said:
the Camper is a Granby shell, with the Fiamma Awing, rollover couch, jacks, and arctic pack. The camper tag says 975lbs.

I am planning to build a motorcycle carrier for m Suzuki DR350 that I can open the camper door with the bike on it.
I would guess you are at 1300 to 1400 lbs with the jacks on. Looks like you have a furnace as well.

As others mentioned the 975lb tag is the weight of the shell before any options are added. Airbags at minimum are needed. By the time you get the bike, carrier and camping gear on, you won't need highbeams.

​Congrats on the camper. We did our first trip without airbags and had a great time. I did have to put duct tape over a portion of the headlights on the way back home though, as I was blinding other drivers.

Machinebuilder said:
I;m not good at trip reports............I have good intentions but fail miserably.
Congrats on the new camper!

I'm a member of the same trip reports club :D

gaylon said:
The camper tag is not always accurate because it is not the weight fully configured, if I remember correctly. The camper should have come with a slip of paper listing the shipping weight. There are a lot of threads on here - do a search or go get the truck weighed.

Bill D said:
I would guess you are at 1300 to 1400 lbs with the jacks on. Looks like you have a furnace as well.

As others mentioned the 975lb tag is the weight of the shell before any options are added. Airbags at minimum are needed. By the time you get the bike, carrier and camping gear on, you won't need highbeams.

​Congrats on the camper. We did our first trip without airbags and had a great time. I did have to put duct tape over a portion of the headlights on the way back home though, as I was blinding other drivers.

I did find the paper with the shipping wieght, it was 1199lbs, The listed weight for the Jacks is only 100lbs,, they seem heavier when puting them on.

That still leaves me with 1200 lbs capacity, I am assuming I'll need airbags when I get the bike and carrier on, that's a lot of weight very far back.

I spent some time yesterday getting my electrical connection to the 7 pin trailer plug, This is my preference, I did not want wirng added to my truck.
I really dislike when wires are taped together and then covered with split loom. I didn't get as clean a hook up as I wanted because of the way the furnace cabinet is constructed. it looks like they built the bottom, wired parts of it then built the top. Much of it would be very difficult to take apart without damage.

here's a couple more pictures

i-34qPx64-M.jpg

Milo, my German Shorthaired Pointer, had no problems and made it to the top bunk on his own

i-R4CFHQ9-M.jpg

Jada, my overweight Lab, couldn't figure the steps out, I am going to try glueing some carpet to the to see if that helps.

i-GM7BgQn-M.jpg

Machine, we bought a pet ramp through Camping World be for $100+/- and our lab loves me it. No wear and tear on her joints. jd

Back
Top Bottom