I need more power Scotty!

Reading all these replies makes me glad I went with the marine switch. No guessing whether its working correctly or not. So far, even with the stormy weather we've had lately I haven't needed to supplement the charging with the alternator.

ntsqd,

Thanks for the reply - haven't had a chance to try that yet. I don't doubt it will be as you suggest. Once the voltage drops below the set point the ACR should open.

Still sorting through the plethora of information and advice that has been posted on various topics. Great resources and people on here!

cheers

I believe the problem stems from the battery floating above it's actual voltage due to the charging. Letting it sit for some time before connecting it may also result in the ACR/VSR not closing in the first place.

In my old Suburban I used both a VSR and a marine battery switch in parallel. The switch determined which was the 'house' battery and which was the 'starting' battery; and the VSR made sure both stayed charged.

That's the trick, for sure. Batts from full charge showing 12.99 volts after about 18 hours (not connected to anything. Just checked and the low voltage disconnect opens at 12.25 volts with the "open low" jumper connected instead of the 12.75 volts that is the normal trigger.

That doesn't appear to be anything of an issue. I was a little concerned when I first saw it admittedly.

cheers

Update: We are making power! Tried out the portable panels to check my wiring/sanity.

Deployed them on the driveway:
full

Dual 160w panels - Calgary in January...
full

I saw up to 251w at one point. I am pretty happy with that!

Vic

Vic,

Nice when a plan works out!! Did you buy the Victron VE direct cables (for the mppt monitor) or make one up yourself?

(edited to correct autocorrect)

BrianW, I bought the cables. Rip off in terms of what you get for the money. Do you happen to know what the connector type is for these? They look awfully familiar.

BillD, had to. How could I resist?

Craig333, yeah... no heater yet so I have to wait for slightly warmer weather....

Got the floor in last week as well. Mostly done now except for some finishing touches. I ran water through the system 4 times but it still tastes like plastic. Yuck. How often to you have to run it through to get it to taste fresh? OTOH, the water pump and connections are all solid and not leaking... (anymore) yeah!

Vic,

I just got the mppt controllers and haven't yet had time to find a matching connector. Seems I read on a programming forum (guys were talking about what language worked with what device etc - way over my head) Some of them were getting data with just 2 of the pins so they were basically just cobbling something together from telephone wire. This I think was just to receive data. So, I am still looking.
Going to talk to an aluminum fabricator tomorrow about a set of steps that will slide into the trailer hitch receiver.

And thanks again for all the information you are posting, it really helps and is appreciated.

cheers

How about a picture of these connectors? There's likely someone here who will know what they are.

Vic Harder said:
BrianW, I bought the cables. Rip off in terms of what you get for the money. Do you happen to know what the connector type is for these? They look awfully familiar.
Hard to be sure but they look like a Molex connector with a molded shell covering the wire shell area. With one in hand, you could search on Mouser or Digikey sites for a match.

Paul

ntsqd said:
How about a picture of these connectors? There's likely someone here who will know what they are.
Thanks for the poke and offer. Here you go: I'm actually wondering about the female side (much harder to get a picture of given where it is in the camper) so as to make a male/male extender

Pic1
full

Pic2
full

Been looking at the Molex website... so far nothing matching, but that could be because I haven't found it yet among the bazillion connectors they make. Will let you know if I do find it...

Happyjax said:
I believe that is considered a small molex connector. They use those in Pc's a lot :)
awesome... thanks.... now, if only I had kept all the old junk instead of e-cycling it!

Back
Top Bottom