Installation of my new Hawk this Thursday.....

Kali

Advanced Member
Finally, after months of waiting the day is almost here. Headed over to the factory in Woodland to have my Hawk installed on Thursday. I am taking my kids on little camping trip while we are up there to break her in and make sure everything is working correctly before heading home. I will post some pics.....

Kali - congrats! I remember that day fondly, almost 3 years ago. I had no issues whatsoever on my new Hawk and I did a very thorough walk through at the factory, testing every system so as to not have to find out I had issues on that first night out :). Enjoy!

Take your time when you first get it and devleope a routine.... open latches, push up roof, etc. A lot of people forget to open the latches... I almost developed a checklist so I wouldn't do it (never did) but it might help.

congrats!

kmcintyre, good advice. I also made a checklist of everything to pack and then started adding and removing as I needed something I did not have or took out things I did not use. I certainly have a list in my head of set up and take down such as latches, propane, things to be stored, etc and follow the same routine every time.

Congrats. I also made checklists that I had laminated. The more times you do things, they will become second nature. 2 big things you need to do, first after unlatching the 6 latches walk around your truck and re-check that each latch has been completely opened. After you fill the water tank, turn on the hot water faucet (don't fire up the hot water heater). Let the water run out of the faucet until it flows smoothly to insure you have filled the hot water tank. Add additional water to the main tank. You can also fill the hot water tank by hooking up to the city water fill, but make sure you have a pressure gauge on the hose to limit the flow rate or you will blow your lines. I made a costly mistake and over time my hot water tank wasn't full and I melted the tank costing me $750+ to have the hot water heater replaced. Good luck. jd

Check on the checklist !!

I tried lifting the roof on mine the first night.....with the door closed.

Almost developed a hernia.

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
Check on the checklist !!

I tried lifting the roof on mine the first night.....with the door closed.

Almost developed a hernia.

David Graves
Hahaha - that is when you learn how airtight FWC’s really are.

Just go...and keep going.
You’ll learn from the mistakes you make and those lessons will never be forgotten.
It’s a great ride, enjoy it.

Congrats!

Also, remember your propane tanks will be empty. There is a place literally around the corner from FWC they recommended i fill mine at. Took 5 mins. Definitely worth it.

moveinon said:
kmcintyre, good advice. I also made a checklist of everything to pack and then started adding and removing as I needed something I did not have or took out things I did not use. I certainly have a list in my head of set up and take down such as latches, propane, things to be stored, etc and follow the same routine every time.
I've just started taking things out I don't use and wow, there's a lot. The issue for me is mainly "repair" tools and parts. When you need them you need them and it's rare that you do. A lot of people when they first get a FWC/ATC have or forget the latches and you can cause some pretty serious damage. If things do just work easily, stop and reassess. The propane thing isn't such an issue. Oh, the other thing depending on your refrig is to make sure you don't leave it on AC (or propane) when travelling (unless you have solar). I've read conflicting reports on here and it probably depends on your charging system on whether or not putting the refrig on DC while driving if the charging will keep up with the discharge BUT if you park and forget to switch it off, my refrig will drain the battery in a short time so I don't ever use it. On my 3-way refrig too, the switches/knobs/etc. can be a bit confusing on when you are on propane, etc.

kmcintyre said:
Oh, the other thing depending on your refrig is to make sure you don't leave it on AC (or propane) when travelling (unless you have solar). I've read conflicting reports on here and it probably depends on your charging system on whether or not putting the refrig on DC while driving if the charging will keep up with the discharge BUT if you park and forget to switch it off, my refrig will drain the battery in a short time so I don't ever use it. On my 3-way refrig too, the switches/knobs/etc. can be a bit confusing on when you are on propane, etc.
And if you have solar working right, and a 2 way fridge, you may never turn it off. Mine has been on since I installed it over a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom