Installing roof tracks

Machinebuilder

I have a 2018 Granby, when I bought it I didn't think I wanted the yakima tracks.

Fast forward to now.

I am going to install a second solar panel, and would like to install some 8020 channel to use like the yakima track.

I used the Renogy glue on mounts for the first panel and now realize that moving or replacing it will be a lot of effort, I did learn tat Sikaflex 252 is some awesome adhesive/sealer.

My plan is to install rivnuts into the roof framing and seal with butyl tape and ureathane sealant.

my question is would there be any issue with putting the track very close to the edge of the roof? from pictures I recall the outer framing is roughly 1"x3" tubing.

If this isn't a good idea does anyone know the distance from the edge to the factory location of the tracks?

I do not plan on using cross bars to load more stuff on the roof, its high enough it would be a struggle to get anything up there.

I take it you have a smooth one piece roof? Much easier to see the roof framing on the older style. On my old roof the framing is not consistently spaced. Safest would be to use the inside wooden battens as a guide

yes it is the one piece smooth roof.

When I asked on Facebook someone said the roof members have wood inside them.

Is this true? I have never seen anyone else mention that.

I tend to be very skeptical of much of what I see on the internet, at least here on WTW there are quite a few people that have had these campers down to the frame.

Machinebuilder said:
I have a 2018 Granby, when I bought it I didn't think I wanted the yakima tracks.

Fast forward to now.

I am going to install a second solar panel, and would like to install some 8020 channel to use like the yakima track.

I used the Renogy glue on mounts for the first panel and now realize that moving or replacing it will be a lot of effort, I did learn tat Sikaflex 252 is some awesome adhesive/sealer.

My plan is to install rivnuts into the roof framing and seal with butyl tape and ureathane sealant.

my question is would there be any issue with putting the track very close to the edge of the roof? from pictures I recall the outer framing is roughly 1"x3" tubing.

If this isn't a good idea does anyone know the distance from the edge to the factory location of the tracks?

I do not plan on using cross bars to load more stuff on the roof, its high enough it would be a struggle to get anything up there.
Per FWC rivnuts wouldn't be a good idea. The roof framing has wood in the tubes for good holding power

My 2016 Fleet's roof is slightly arched or curved, lower in the front and back. The Yakima tracks I have installed follow this curve.

Depending on how rigid the 80/20 is, you might end up flattening the roof.

I'm not sure how the curved roof is engineered, but it might be something to consider.

Ditto to machinebuilder's query. I want to install Yakima tracks, but need to know where to drill. I have a 2016 Fleet.

I have made some progress

I got the tracks installed.

To longhorn. Yes there is wood in at least the 2 roof beams.

I’m having difficulty loading a pic right now

I put 9 m6 aluminum rivnuts in each rail with a strip of butyl tape the whole length. It rivnuts expanded fine and I am more confidant of them than sheet metal screws.

I should have gone with m5 screws because the head of the M6’s didn’t fit through the groove in the track without some mods.

I’ll work on some pics later

Machinebuilder said:
I have made some progress

I got the tracks installed.

To longhorn. Yes there is wood in at least the 2 roof beams.

I’m having difficulty loading a pic right now

I put 9 m6 aluminum rivnuts in each rail with a strip of butyl tape the whole length. It rivnuts expanded fine and I am more confidant of them than sheet metal screws.

I should have gone with m5 screws because the head of the M6’s didn’t fit through the groove in the track without some mods.

I’ll work on some pics later
Wood? Huh, I wonder when they started doing that. My 2006 ATC built camper has no wood in there at all.

I used #8 screws and butyl tape on my first/second builds and took the 2nd one apart to add more tracks this last winter. I was amazed at how sticky the butyl tape was. I bet I could have removed the screws and it still wouldn't have come off. Had to carefully cut the tape while pulling HARD on the track to get it to come off.

New install also uses #8 screws but used 3m 5200 instead. I have my canoe up there and don't want it to ever come off. I place more faith in the 5200 than in the screws.

wood chips after drilling hole

i-K9M8Z5J-L.jpg

tracks are about 11" from side, 1.5" from back, butyl tape the entire length and urethane sealant around screw heads

i-gGRwkg8-L.jpg

Panels mounted and wired,

i-H7qNstL-L.jpg

I changed my plan after getting started and removed my original glued down panel, it wasn't as secure as I thought.

Mo I need to decide on what battery setup, my original is NG, I think I over discharged it too many times,

Checking in with the couple that commented here as I am about to install rhino tracks (couldnt source yakima right now) on my 2017 Swift.

Mostly concerned with track attachment screw or plusnut combo was deemed best use?

QUESTION: At the moment I have a set of Yakima Plusnuts on hand and a box of 1" #8 self tapping screws. Debating which route to take (The plusnuts werent cheap so if not needed Id happily return)?

Butyl tape along the hole track and 3m adhesive in the holes prior to screws insertion.

Any tips on successful installs would be comfortingly appreciated!

Sorry I couldn’t reply.
I have not had any signal for a while

The butyl tape is extremely sticky. It will probably provide most of the hold down strength
On my Grandby the roof tubes are filled with wood. The rib nuts are holding great but may be overkill.
Sheet metal screws should be fine

Terrific, thanks for the added input on one of those simple but consequential projects thats nice to get some long term use feedback with.
Machinebuilder said:
Sorry I couldn’t reply.
I have not had any signal for a while

The butyl tape is extremely sticky. It will probably provide most of the hold down strength
On my Grandby the roof tubes are filled with wood. The rib nuts are holding great but may be overkill.
Sheet metal screws should be fine

Back
Top Bottom