intro

ADV Goat

Just wanted to introduce myself I have been looking at all types of campers, extreme off road campers, pickup campers, camping trailers, etc. for about five years. I have decided to get a Cougar Shell and build the interior myself as I cannot find a camper that meets our needs.

I have a 04 Dodge CTD SB with Kore Race Suspension, Firestone air bags, etc. lots of goodies.

Here' the list.

Frame mounted Espar D5: Frame has mounting bracket right out of the factory, I can heat the camper and or the engine also the engine can heat the camper and hot water while traveling to our destinations.

Isotherm Basic 24 hot water heater: Works with above.

220w Solar system complete with auto shore power switching, inverter the whole schabang.

Trojan 8DAMG 460AH battery.

Two Fantastic 6600 vents.

REAL fan heater model 6400,14,000btu (hydronic)

Norcold DE-0788 fridge.

Diesel cook top.

30gal fresh water tank.

Thetford C-200 cassette toilet.

Indoor shower.

Roof lift struts added to the front.

OK so that's the bulk of the list, I know that this may sound like a lot of stuff but it's all about give and take, what your willing to have or not have. I have a BMW GS1200 ADV we have taken a few 2,500 mile rides on it, we know about traveling light well that's debatable seems like the bike was loaded down pretty good. The wife to be has requirements and I want some comforts to. Will it all fit or will we be wading through equipment, I have made many many cad drawings and have gone around and around with this stuff for years. With my current hand drawings (cad crashed) it will all fit pretty nicely, every inch has to be considered I know I have a long way to go like getting a camper for starters. I still keep finding new ways to route wires and pluming to save space and prevent freezing it seems like it never ends now I know why Unicat type rigs are so expensive.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post on this forum I has been a big help. I have scoured the internet for ideas and have receive lots of help form an engineer friend of mine to get this far in the design. It will look like most campers at first glance you shouldn't be able to tell much of a difference. I haven't decided if I will use Nida-core or not, I want the weight saving and it's ability to handle humid environments but I'm a little leery as I haven't worked with it. The Guy I spoke to at Nida-core assures me it's easy to work with, pretty much like wood (I have a wood shop).

I will not be posting much until I have camper in hand, at that time I will try do give a blow by blow report on the build up with lots of pics. I want to try and give back a little as you folks have given me so many ideas to work with. What an awesome forum

Oh I was looking at FWC also but they haven't returned one of my messages not one it's been months, they must be very very busy. I called ATC they answered the phone, my questions where answered right then didn't need to leave a message very professional. I'm sure I couldn't have gone wrong with ether company both appear to have a great product.

Thanks; Heath

Diesel cooktop?, never heard of it. How's it smell in use, maybe you need bio diesel! I'm waiting to see the indoor shower :D Welcome

Diesel Cook tops.

If installed right and should be no problem vented to the outside don't know about wind blowing the smell right back into the camper though :unsure:

http://www.webasto-outdoors.com/heating/dual-top.html

http://www.scanmarineusa.com/wallas_stoves.html

I would like to have one fuel for everything I will save space and weight.

Shower, check out some of the other pop ups on the market just think smaller :D

Bio-diesel, http://utahbiodieselsupply.com/biodieselprocessorkit.php

Heath

All I can say is WHooooo. Can't wait to see the pictures. I saw the price of the stove way out of my league.

MXVP, I will not be able to get all this stuff right away I'm looking at about 2 years and that's after I get a camper to build in. I will be using lawn chairs, coleman stove, buddy heater and so on for a while. If I have a busy fire season I could do it sooner. I will build in stages, first is the heater system then the solar system etc. I am very excited as I have been wanting to build my own but this will be the best of both worlds for me. I get to start using it right away, and it's a proven design how cool is that and it will be way better than a tent. I just want the cook top they are made by the same company Wallas. Webasto I am told is marketed to RV's and is a lot cheaper, yea don't think I will be dropping the $4,500.00 on the cook top oven combo but I have to get a cook top.

Oh yea I have about 5 years before I retire so that is my real time frame so as you can see I 'm not in a big hurry just want it to be right when done.

ADV Goat That is a great plan. I would like to here more about your solar plans in detail. I keep putting off my solar due to my lack of solar smarts. I am going to visit the inlays in Germany next week and I am going to give my solar wants to my father in-law he is an electronic /math wizzzz ...

MXVP, I am about 97% sure this is how I will go or piece one together I know that it's expensive but I am willing to wait, save and then get what I want.

http://www.rvtruckparts.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=43783&DID=192&CID=778&DealerId=&SID=90
and the big Trojan battery of course

I don't know how much you know or don't know about solar and I am no wizard buy any stretch. What I do have is a very good radio tech he has designed and installed many systems. I am a novice Ham so that helps when he is explaining things to me. I would recommend that you forget about what system you want for now just start putting all the power uses you have down in a notebook I'm sure you know this already but just in case you don't.

example:

Espar D5 hydronic heater: low power 22.8 watts 12v high power 52.8 watts how long will it run ????????
Fantastic Vent x 2: .2-1.9 amps so .2 amps x 12v=2.4 watts on low high 22.8w for how many hours I plan on running it
Hair dryer 1000w 12v 10 minutes every other day
Coffee pot 1200w 12v for 10 minutes every day my coffee pot shuts down after the brew cycle
http://www.cuisinartwebstore.com/detail/CUI+DGB-900BC

once you have all this figured out then you can design a system that will fit your needs, You will save money and not do the overkill thing like me

I see that Deltarat is a ham I bet he could help you out way more than I could you might try to send him a PM. Did you see all that gear he installed in his truck WOW that is out of this world.

Hope this helps remember I am learning as I go here, I am a Firefighter jack of all trades master of none.
Heath

Hey Heath

Great to hear you are getting a camper.

Jeff & Marty will build you an excellent camper !

We are so sorry you didn't get a call back from us.

:(

We have been buried alive.

We made a bad choice to do some extra trade shows this year and we paid the price, big time.

But, we are all back in the office now and have a new lady up front answering phones for us.

We should be getting dug out quickly, I hope I hope.

Have fun with the new camper.

Signed: Frustrated Stanley

==================================================================

Oh I was looking at FWC also but they haven't returned one of my messages not one it's been months, they must be very very busy ...

Welcome.

Wow...quite the list.

Yer gonna need those roof lifters with a 45 pound solar panel on top.

good luck in your quest

mtn

Welcome ADV Goat,

The ATC guys should set you up well. Don't forget to post photos of your project; we like photos.

Should be lots of fun seeing your build. The diesel appliances are a great idea, if they were only reasonably priced :(

So who are you a firefighter with?

Goat,

Love those ideas.

I recently called Blue Sky for some advice on selecting a charge controller. I got a great tech guy who basically walked me through the selection process for my upcoming 5er solar mod.

In the 5er I have 460 amp hours of batteries (4x6v golf cart) and imagine I'll be needing 400 +/- watts of solar power for dry camping. This will be accomplished with 2, 3, or 4 - haven't decided how many I can afford yet - 135 watt kyocera panels, the Blue Sky 3024 charger and the IPNPRO remote. Why 135 watt panels? Don't need to step down the voltage.

Back
Top Bottom