L-Tracks in Floor

m.r.h.

The only bummer about having a camper on your truck is loosing some of the usability (surprised there aren't more project-m style campers out there). I enjoy having my camper on at all times, but would like to get some of the usable space back for easy of hauling stuff, mostly kayaks.

I am thinking about how I can rebuild my couch (a long rectangular "box" with cushions on top) that allows it to be removed and installed easily. I was thinking about some type of track system in the floor.

Any one out there install any type of L-Tracks in their floors? Using this type of bracket to hold the things in place.

Maybe E-Track with this type of fitting seems like an option?

Does 80/20 make something that would work?

I suspect that the L track will be your best bet. L track is what is used in aircraft to mount the rows of seats.

Even 1/2 height 80/20 is going to be taller by a little though it would offer infinite positions. Downside of normal 80/20 in this application is that the nuts aren't easy to retrieve unless you chase them out of either end.

I’m pondering the same thing right now, how to install basic sleeping platforms/storage boxes in the bed of the truck that can be easily removed (especially weight wise) so that I can use the truck as a truck. I’ll probably go with L-track bolted lengthwise within the “recessed” portion of the truck bed. Placed in the narrow areas fore/aft of the wheel wells, I can affix perimeter boxes in camping mode, then remove the boxes, exposing/utilizing lashing points in haul mode. I’m interested in hearing how you and others address this.

I have the same plan for the Bronc-up, L track along the outer edges of the bed floor. Bronco tubs are part single wall & part double wall so I'm thinking to place a second set of L tracks on the top of the sheet metal that closes off the lower double walled part.

With a single wall bed or "hollow" double walled sections I've thought to enclose those areas with access panels, behind which the tools & what-not that are always in the truck can be stored. Maybe those panels could be like these for Raptors so that they could work double duty: https://www.builtrightind.com/
None of which does much for the OP.

I note that there is a flush mount L track that were considering add L track to the floor of our camper would be very appealing. I just don't know that there is enough depth to the floor to do that without compromising the structural integrity of the floor.

These two anchors would be what I'd use to fasten down something like a couch, a seat, or similar:
https://www.uscargocontrol.com/Double-Stud-Fitting-w-Bolt-Thread
https://www.uscargocontrol.com/L-Track-Double-Lug-Threaded-Stud-Fitting

Im leaning heavily on the L-track right now. Probably going to have to find/make some hardware to attach the bracket and the wood. The ones from the above link look like they would work, but I want them to be at 90degree.

Might Dodge Ram you might want to check out the the E-Tracks if you are looking at building a platform. Get a couple of bars like this and put plywood on top?

mrh: that’s a thought and would work in my former truck with the short bed. Since I now have a long bed I’m thinking I’d like to leave a central path down the middle in camping mode. But a possibility nonetheless.

ntsqd: after checking out the specs on the recessed L-track I too am concerned there wouldn’t be enough material left to adequately attach track to, even if it was 3/4” ply. More research is needed; I’m close to finalizing the design.

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

m.r.h. said:
The only bummer about having a camper on your truck is loosing some of the usability (surprised there aren't more project-m style campers out there). I enjoy having my camper on at all times, but would like to get some of the usable space back for easy of hauling stuff, mostly kayaks.

I am thinking about how I can rebuild my couch (a long rectangular "box" with cushions on top) that allows it to be removed and installed easily. I was thinking about some type of track system in the floor.

Any one out there install any type of L-Tracks in their floors? Using this type of bracket to hold the things in place.

Maybe E-Track with this type of fitting seems like an option?

Does 80/20 make something that would work?

Curious...you mentioned a kayak storage...inside a FWC?..I can't envision that...but then again my kayaks are sea kayaks but even a squirt boat would not fit inside my Hawk...I must be missing something, I do that you know! :D

Phil

After watching a couple videos the double lug threaded stud fitting looks like it might be a better option. A little less play when install since it is held in place when the nut is tightened. Might order some pieces to try out first. The recesses tracks are slick, I might go with the angled L-track to soften the end.

Mighty Dodge I have had many truck bed platform builds and having a aisle down the middle is a great idea. I always wanted to build something sort of like this. Seems really useful and modular.

Wallowa said:
Curious...you mentioned a kayak storage...inside a FWC?..I can't envision that...but then again my kayaks are sea kayaks but even a squirt boat would not fit inside my Hawk...I must be missing something, I do that you know! :D

Phil

Whitewater boats tend to be 9' and under. I can easily get 3 in their now. I think without the "couch" I could get 4 with ease. 5 on a good day. Almost better than with out the camper because I can shut the door so nothing has the change of even falling out.

mrh: Thanks for the link. I owned two VW Westfalias in the distant past and really appreciated the quality and thought put into them. I’m a not so secret “Van Guy” in reality, but it’s a pickup for now. Looks like the set-up you linked actually breaks down into a “flat pack” of sorts. Quite inventive. The Hansons use a Kanz Kitchen as a modular approach which also looks interesting.

Those Plywood Guys have some cool designs. Seems like they have really tried to think of all the possibilities.

Vans are HUGE in the northwest. You are sort of an outcast if you don't have a van. Every rig has their pros and cons for sure. I imagine it would be tough to go from van to truck/pop-up camper combo. However I sure do love taking my camper off and having a 3/4 ton truck.

I think I'm going to order some L-tracks this weekend. I'll post some photos once I start the actual build.

Norsman what track do you have? Curious about the recessed ones and how the install went.

m.r.h. said:
Norsman what track do you have? Curious about the recessed ones and how the install went.
I used the surface mount with the contoured edge.

m.r.h. said:
Whitewater boats tend to be 9' and under. I can easily get 3 in their now. I think without the "couch" I could get 4 with ease. 5 on a good day. Almost better than with out the camper because I can shut the door so nothing has the change of even falling out.

MRH,

Got to hand it to you...9 foot boats...3 or even 4 of them inside!

My Hawk [tub] measures 6.6 feet from front window to door sill....I looked at your gallery and see that the interior is cleared..I may have missed it but what FWC is that?

Reluctantly I bought a trailer for my '17 foot sea kayaks....heck even my old 'Tupperware' river kayak would not have fit inside my Hawk...[side dinette]

When you finish your project, please post photos...

Phil

Wallowa,

It is an 86 Keystone. It has about a foot extra and covers the tail lights of my truck. It would look pretty weird on a 6.5' with tailgate down truck.

Once I get things put back together I will toss a couple boats in there and send you a photo.

Where about in Oregon are you? Maybe we will run into each other once things open back up a little.

m.r.h. said:
Wallowa,

It is an 86 Keystone. It has about a foot extra and covers the tail lights of my truck. It would look pretty weird on a 6.5' with tailgate down truck.

Once I get things put back together I will toss a couple boats in there and send you a photo.

Where about in Oregon are you? Maybe we will run into each other once things open back up a little.

Currently landlocked....poor sea kayaks getting little ocean time...we are in Enterprise...Wallowa Lake is fine but "confining"...have not white water kayaked since my Smith and Trinity River days decades ago....my Tundra does not have the tailgate on and the Hawk fits it perfectly....current interest is back to off-roading that I did as a kid, recently returned from 3-1/3-6 White Rim trip and other Utah spots...but we have a lot of country out here in Wallowa for roaming...

Good luck on your project...

Phil

Here is my mock up L-Track system to hold my bench/couch. Right now I have two brackets holding the long edge together. Planning on a third one on a shorter edge but need a longer L-bracket. Thoughts ? Suggestions ?

full

Seems like an expensive way to hold a couch in place. Are there designs goals that I've forgotten?

Enterprise, OR huh? My BIL's family used to live in Elgin and a now long ago ex-uncle's family lives in Halfway. As a kid I recall my grandparents taking us on trip with the 19' Airstream to Halfway, and then via Cornucopia over the mtns to Wallowa Lake then taking the woolen mills tour before heading west along the river and dropping down thru Shaniko to home in Powell Butte.

Goal is to have a camper that isn't always just a camper. Want to keep it on my truck but have a more useful truck bed. When the couch is out I can put just as much stuff in the back as I could with just my truck and canopy set up. Take the couch out and you nearly have your tuck bed back. If the project-m camper wasn't so out of my budget I would just get that. When the couch is out the L-Track can be used to secure stuff down i needed.

I just found these campers the other day. https://www.hiatuscampers.com. I am all about modularity.

Back
Top Bottom