Last minute ideas heading North?

Welcome Home

Barko1,

Sounds like you had a good trip. We'll look forward to your trip report/pictures...especially the Dalton.

Happy Trails,
'birds

LOTS of places to park in the bush off the cassiar. when you get to New Hazelton which is 50 miles west of Smithers, you can take the road to OLD Town, have a look at KSAN, then you can go to Kispiox and take the logging road which will bring you out near Bell 2 on the Cassiar. There are some good camping spots. Check the Visitor centre at the turn off from hazelton to old town for a map.

We are in Watson Lake, Yukon, so welcome to stop by for a visit, bbq, coffee shower etc. we have a large fenced yard for the dogs to run around. watson is 14 miles down the alcan from the cassiar junction..been to alaska many times. got lots of lies.

robbie

Hi robbie. We are planning to do the cassiar again this year,north this time.We are looking for info on the recreational sites listed under camping. Do you have any sources you can share? We have a 2 WD ranger with a bob cat,enjoy stream fishing and canoeing. Thanks for any info.

Frank

I've done the drive to Alaska and back several times. I have also pretty much been all over BC, Yukon, NWT, and AK, My highest recommendations would be to take Cassiar Hwy, absolutely don't miss the Dempster to Inuvik and reserve a space at the inner campground of Teklanika at Denali NP (you'll have grizzlies and wolves right around camp!)

Check this youtube for the Dempster Hwy, NWT.http://www.youtube.com/user/generubinaudio#p/f/9/Pjx7oidhNSI

Also, I am making the drive to Anchorage this month in my Civic Hybrid and flying back. I'll leave my Civic at a friend's house. Anyone want to drive it back to Santa Barbara, CA? It will have tent camping gear included. I'll be doing the Dempster as well on this trip to Anchorage, I never miss it.

BTW, The Canadian and Alaskan roads, even the gravel ones, are excellent and do not require anything more than a standard passenger car.

Back
Top Bottom